Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catherine PS3 & 360 (demo)

So what's it all about then?
    I haven't the slightest idea and HOPE to god it gets a NA release at least on PS3 so I can import it and understand the story and what is going on around me.
    Game starts you off on Easy, as you come out and get taught how the block climbing and pushing/pulling works (albeit in japanese) it's not too bad to understand what you need to do at least with the puzzle/scoring aspect.

You have to make your way to the top where the exit is, you gain combos by continually moving up steps, you have to keep it going before your combo bar runs out and of course the more you combo the faster it depletes. As you climb the structure it falls away from beneath you, lets say every 1 min a section falls off so you have to climb fast and always up. On easy mode you can press select to go back 1 move (rewind time) incase you make a mistake you can't correct, when you eventually reach the top you are rewarded with a safety bonus and points are added to how quickly you made it to top and combo, you are then rewarded bronze/silver/gold trophy.

After this you are treated to a lengthy scene with Katherine in tea room where she chats to you and you look a bit stressed, then cuts to a dead body in a room and a TV anchor reporting this on a TV in a pizza place called The Stray Sheep. In this scene you are talking to your 2 mates about something...? probably your strange dreams and ladies. Must say the actual anime cut scenes are lovely, in-game graphics/character models are a treat too. They up and leave you with the bill, you then get left to your own device and recieve an email from Katherine, which you have to reply to, You can change the dialogue by deleting what you said and when you send the email this changes a small meter, it has a Devil on one side and Angel on the other, so like good or bad responses. After you send a couple and read some, Catherine appears.

Queue 2nd Dream/Puzzle stage, this one was a bit tougher as you are being pursued by and evil womans with a giant fork in her hand. The mechanic also changes a wee bit as when she slams the wall, if you are close to them some blocks will transform into heavy blocks which take longer to move into place, she will also smash lower platform blocks which drop below, to death. Took me a few attempts to get past this one and this is on Easy!
    Stylistically very nice although would like to know just how long the game is if the levels are to a degree trial and error and memory.

Would definitely pick it up if it got a NA release, unfortunately there is just TOO much dialogue to get the enjoyment out of it on JPN import.
    Last edited by Brad; 01-02-2011, 16:10.

Thanks for first imps, but sounds entirely **** tbh. Maybe they're hoping to score a few sales off its hentai-lite pretensions?

Comment

I would call this 'Kurushi: Adult Edition'. Seriously.

I don't really like the puzzle gameplay, but the cutscenes and atmosphere are awesome. Plus its completely bonkers as well.

Comment

Love the puzzles and love the cut-scenes. However, I'd miss too much of the cut-scenes due to the language barrier and the puzzle element is worthy of a 7 or 8 quid PSN game so no way am I paying big import bucks for this. Just have to hope it gets an English Language release.

I REALLY like the puzzle game.

Comment

The Xbox demo is gold only. Anyone know when it become available for silvers?

Comment

I really would love to play this but the language barrier is stopping me

Comment

It's Xbox Live gold for 1 week apparently, so should be all to play on live around this Thursday.

Comment

Well, I downloaded this today (360) and I must say I'm enjoying the story and atmosphere very much. I can understand Japanese so for me it's not a problem but I can se many people not liking the story sections of the game or at least not understanding them leading to not enjoying the game. For example, do you know why your main character is depressed? Do you know what he and his girl friend were talking about? Things like this really make the game. Oh, and the main puzzle section ;p

By the way, maybe this thread should be renamed to 360 & PS3 since it's on both systems.

Comment

Yakumo, you should get the full game and then answer my many, many questions when I start playing it. Thanks!

Comment

So come on, Catherine or Katherine?

You know you have a favourite

Comment

Gentlemen prefer blondes...

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                        So come on, Catherine or Katherine?
                        About 3 or 4 places online say that because there's a male symbol on the Catherine half of the logo she might be a "trap" like Poison from Final Fight.

Which could explain Vincent's freak out moment the next morning...
                        Last edited by Sketcz; 01-02-2011, 17:33.

Comment

SPOILERS!!!1

That would be pretty awesome.

Comment

Vincents shock is more about him sleeping with Catherine as he has cheated on his long term missus and eventual wife to be Katherine.
                            I always thought the male symbol was on Katherines side and not Catherine.

There are a few translated trailers and now translated demo playthrough on youtube, has actually made me want the game as it seems pretty cool on story, seems like its all about comitment and Vincents relationship/s. Hope it gets NA release.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                              I always thought the male symbol was on Katherines side and not Catherine.
                              Bloody hell, you're right. It's the same symbol you find on military ranks.

Comment

Working...
                              X