Bringing back standing areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringing back standing areas

Apologies if it's been mentioned before but I couldn't find anything.

Anyway, standing. Since the Hilsborough disaster we've lost the ability to stand at football matches (at upper levels of the game). Surely now with a safer design we could bring it back to recreate what's been missing from most grounds for a while - atmosphere.

It might even tempt me back for a few games every now and then, it seems daft to have to sit down on a cold night game in lets face it fairly cramped conditions. The upheaval of going for an early pie or urgent piss only makes it worse.

Worse still, with seating you have no option for moving if the people around you are talking crap. With stands you can simply move along a bit.

Problem is we'll always be haunted with visions of Hilsborough and the people involved don't want to consider a change.

Anyone else feel the same?

At Old Trafford, standing is allowed in Tier 2 of the Stretford End. Makes for a much better atmosphere compared to the rest of the ground

Comment

Nobody sits in the lower tier of the Park Lane stand at White Hart Lane, and it's the best area of the ground atmosphere wise.

They could easily do it as well. Germany are the best example, most of their stadiums have "safe standing" areas and they have no problems with it. The terrace behind the goal at Dortmund's stadium is magnificent.

Standing isn't unsafe anyway, even the Taylor report said that, all seater stadiums were too much of an overreaction. A standing area with a strict all ticket capacity could be done with ease, and it would be safe.

Comment

Safe-standing sections, like they have in Germany, would be great.

Hillsborough wasn't really caused by people standing up, but by people being caged up like animals and treated like cattle by the Police. But I can totally understand people being totally against it though, and I don't think it will ever happen.

A crush in an all-seater stand could be just as bad, those plastic seats are nasty. At the CL Final in 2007 pockets of the lower tier were over-full (for various reasons) and it was pretty scary at the start, it is very easy to get caught in the gap between the seats and the concrete steps.

At the moment we stand at all the aways anyway and there is a loose agreement with the stewards to let the Kop stand during European games and against United & Everton.

Comment

I didn't go to away games for a while (mainly because I couldn't afford it!) but I started going and have been going more and more in the past couple of years as it's usually a great atmosphere with loads of singing. Getting to stand plays a big part in that.

It'd be brilliant to see stands like this in England:

My (unlikely) dream is for safe standing to be brought in in this country just before Spurs start building our new stadium

Comment

Originally posted by Kongster View Post
            At Old Trafford, standing is allowed in Tier 2 of the Stretford End. Makes for a much better atmosphere compared to the rest of the ground
            Is it actually allowed or just not challenged by the stewards? At Turf Moor the stewards used to act pretty quickly when groups started to stand but they don't seem as bothered anymore. Away games we always stand.

Would love the terraces to return, I have great memories of standing on the Longside at Turf Moor with a portable radio in hand. Modern grounds seem so sterile in comparison, some clubs needing bands/drummers to generate atmosphere FFS.

Comment

The stewards in Tier 2 of the Stretford End don't really challenge it - they know it's traditional

In other parts of the ground standing up and attempting to whip up an atmosphere will see a steward on your case sharpish. At worst they'll try and chuck you out.

Comment

At Stamford Bridge they're always telling people to sit down which is annoying. I've heard the club's made to tell people rather than choosing to tell people which makes it doubly annoying (as the police/FA are happy to let other clubs stand for large portions of games).

That said, there are times when you do want to sit for at least short periods. Most notably Old Trafford where the top tier makes you climb insane numbers of stairs (at least for the away supporters).

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                  I've heard the club's made to tell people rather than choosing to tell people which makes it doubly annoying (as the police/FA are happy to let other clubs stand for large portions of games).
                  AFAIK this is something enforced by the local authority who issues the club with the stadium safety certificate (every ground that holds more than 10K needs one of these to stage any game).

Comment

When I was a season ticket holder at Highfield road, we used to stand in the west Terrace...it got sadly clamped down. (many seasons ticket holder)

When I was a kid before the revamp of stadium, the away fans were there in the terrace, all standing, it was amazing.

Coventry now play at the Ricoh.

Its a tricky issue, no doubt. Football has gone revolution. Stating the obvious I know.

I'm an armchair fan now. Sad, but true, I wont lie.

If they brought back standing, I'd start going to Cardiff and Swansea...I live in Wales now.

Comment

Bringing back standing areas would also (hopefully!) allow the clubs to reduce tickets in those areas thanks to the increase in capacity standing would bring. Might make the game a little more affordable again.

Originally posted by SharkSkin-Man View Post
                      AFAIK this is something enforced by the local authority who issues the club with the stadium safety certificate (every ground that holds more than 10K needs one of these to stage any game).
                      Tis true. There's a video about it on the big screen before every match at Spurs. "If you stand, we stand to lose our licence!"... good word play, but nobody has listened to it yet

Comment

apart from visits to spurs and chelsea I dont remember the last time ive sat down at a game even at Wembley you dont get told to sit down...but a terrace would be welcome, sitting down kills the amosphere.

i still have nightmares about the season they knocked down the holte end at villa park. same year I started paying adult prices so my ticket went from 60 quid to 325 quid!

Comment

I don't think football is ready for standing areas even small ones. Lots of minor scuffles and troubles in crowds over the last few seasons.

Comment

Away fans stand whatever as there is nothing anyone can do about it. Now that I live in London I go to more away games than home games and occasionally force our lass to go to the odd match, she has been to Loftus Road, Walkers Stadium, Kenilworth Road etc; and she always says she likes the away matches more because of the atmosphere. If people behaved properly and were policed properly than it is as safe as safe can be. Makes me laugh that I can stand at football grounds for rock concerts but not for football.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                              I don't think football is ready for standing areas even small ones. Lots of minor scuffles and troubles in crowds over the last few seasons.

Its a myth that standing causes more trouble in grounds, than sitting. Of course it should be brought back to all grounds (say room for up to 4,000 to 8000 fans). Give fans the choice, I so miss the Bob Bank terrace, Better atmosphere, better to watch the game and much cheaper for the season ticket

Away fans stand whatever as there is nothing anyone can do about it.
                              yes you stand and sit wherever you want, its sort of an unwritten rule on away games

Makes me laugh that I can stand at football grounds for rock concerts but not for football
                              You said it, also makes me laugh that at Rugby game I can take a pint into the ground too, but not for Football.

If people behaved properly and were policed properly than it is as safe as safe can be.
                              Spot on.

Comment

Working...
                              X