Bullet Soul Xbox 360 Import game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bullet Soul Xbox 360 Import game

At first glance it looks as if 5pb have come a long way since DOJBLEX. Bullet Soul looks arguably more at home on 360 than any of Cave's games. Its high res 3D graphics look good, it's stylishly presented with nice artwork. Less than a minute of gameplay however and you realise something's gone very wrong.

The game features bullet cancelling, as seen in many Cave STGs, however, 5pb seem to have taken it to its extreme in that all bullets are cancelled when enemies are destroyed. So, despite the game featuring some decent enemy layouts and competent bullet patterns, the reality is the only bullets you're likely to dodge in the first two levels are at the bosses. An odd decision then, perhaps the scoring system will make sense of it? Unfortunately not. Scoring seems to be a simple proximity based affair, laser the enemies at close range, so it's not even as if filling a screen with bullets before cancelling them is the aim.

Granted, things heat up from level 3/4 onwards revealing a somewhat enjoyable, if simple, shmup and if you can one life it there is a supposedly more exciting second loop, but whether it's possible to stay awake that long remains to be seen.

What makes this pill all the harder to swallow is that this is all Bullet Soul has to offer. There's a level based score attack and training and, erm, that's about it. No arrange or omake modes such as the many Cave have spoiled us with.

I also find some of the sound effects grate, and the soundtrack itself is generic tosh.

Overall then, I'd probably be content with this on XBLA, but at full retail with loads of far deeper Cave titles packed with extras to choose from? No thanks.
    Last edited by Super Monkey Balls; 12-04-2011, 17:35.

you are in for a rare treat with the Eschatos OST then ;-)

Comment

Hmm, I can understand Monkey Balls points and if you are a hard core shooter fanatic that always goes for the 1cc or the highest possible score then, yes, Bullet Soul isn't going to please you but I feel that the person who likes shooters in general will really enjoy this title. as Super Monkey Balls said, it looks very nice but I don't think the soundtrack is all that bad. In fact I think it fits the game well.

The bottom line I would say is if you are a hard core shooting fan then pass on this game but for anyone else, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. far more enjoyable than GRev's latest offering that's for sure or at least I think so.

Comment

I only just got started in shooters two weeks ago, yet I am constantly going for higher and higher scores and for that fabled 1CC (not got it yet). I'll wait until this is much cheaper. Gameplay wins over graphics each time. I have heard from multiple, different sources that this game is a pile of crap. Yakumo seems to be the only one that likes it!

Comment

Aren't you a member of ASSEMblergames? . Anyway, it's not an awful game unless you're a hardcore 1cc or score nut. If that's what you look for in a modern shooter then Cave are the company for you. I mean, there are many turd shooters out there which bore the crap out of me such as Karasu or Rajirugi or actually any MileStone made shooter. This game is one of those love it or hate it titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
            Aren't you a member of ASSEMblergames? .
            That's me!

Anyway, it's not an awful game unless you're a hardcore 1cc or score nut. If that's what you look for in a modern shooter then Cave are the company for you. I mean, there are many turd shooters out there which bore the crap out of me such as Karasu or Rajirugi or actually any MileStone made shooter. This game is one of those love it or hate it titles.
            I'll deffo pick it up nearer to bargain-bin prices. I have too many Cave games to get through at the moment as it is!

Comment

far more enjoyable than GRev's latest offering that's for sure or at least I think so.
              Ha! Strania isn't perfect but it offers far more depth and excitement at a fraction of the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                you are in for a rare treat with the Eschatos OST then ;-)
                At least that's got some retro charm

Comment

Come on, Strania is great and much better than this. If you like simple games then by all means pick this up.

Comment

I do like simple games . I have far too many "thinking" games which why I like Bullet Storm. Just sit back and blast the **** out of everything . No need to think about weapon changes, no need to think about the ultimate scoring area and so on. This is why I like it. It sort of takes me back to the old days of 16bit arcade shooters.

Comment

Fair enough, Yakumo

Comment

Ive just tried strania, wow what a shooter, im loveing it more please

Comment

Just given this a shot now - majorly disappointing, and would agree almost entirely with the OP. The music doesn't grate on me quite as badly as on some others, and in general the presentation is pretty slick - just a crying shame that they've got the most important parts completely wrong. It's a huge tease, as there's often some great looking bullet patterns, but they are gone long before you actually get a chance to work around them.

The lack of modes and variety is going to kill my enjoyment of this pretty quickly too. Ah well.

Comment

Bought this on release and only just found time, thanks to the bank holiday, to have a blast. As Yakumo said it does remind me playing the 16 bit shooters Tatsujin/Truxton on steroids. The lack of 'bullet interaction' pre-boss does dent the gameplay somewhat but not enough (as some have said) to spoil the enjoyment. It certainly looks the biz with the HD grafx, something sadly lacking in the overly expensive CAVE ports. Not the AAA release hoped for (only Raiden IV has achieved that sofar IMO).

Comment

I've been playing this for a little while now and I think some of the initial comments may have been slightly premature...

At first glance it does seem rather unusual. Everything you destroy destroys the bullets of that enemy, which seems bizarre and I did have a tendency to agree with initial comments. However, I noticed no matter how 'well' I played, I couldn't get above a Silver medal.

After a bit of investigation I found that to get higher medals you need to achieve a higher multipliers, get a certain amount bonuses throughout a level and have no deaths

With this in mind you start to play the game differently to something more traditional; where you would just sit at the bottom of the screen and shoot everything that moves.

You start to push forward and take risks to sit yourself close to enemies in order to boost your multiplier and you look for setups that give the bonuses, some of which require enemies to be in certain formations, killing enemies in the same instant and destroying all of an enemies parts, before killing it.

These tasks are not as simple as they sound and I'm yet to earn a platinum medal on any level yet, despite trying lots!

These elements basically push the scoring hook and (for me) make the game much more fun to play. So, yea, a bit of persistence and I'm actually found the game rather enjoyable, it doesn't beat some of Caves better titles but I would consider this a good game

Comment

Working...
                              X