IIDX timing - By eye or by sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IIDX timing - By eye or by sound?

So I've started playing IIDX again, but I got rid of my old CRT TV so I've been trying to endure it playing on an HDTV with game mode on.

Now my timing wasn't really ever any good when I used to play this, with mostly A's, a couple of AA's and only ever a single solitary AAA on Normal difficulty.

With absolutely no timing adjustment on my TV, my timing has been an absolutely massive improvement over the last couple of days. Whereas before my eyes were always looking to try and hit the notes directly against that red line, I'm actually paying absolutely no attention to the visual timing or even the bottom half of the notechart at all.

Instead, i've been timing the notechart based entirely around the beat of the music and trying to match the BPM by ear rather than by eye. The end result has been this.

If there's one thing Bemanistyle has taught me, it's that you can't play IIDX on an HDTV. I seriously beg to differ, as that's better than any timing I've achieved on a CRT.

How do you play?

Can't say I ever had any joy with IIDX on a HDTV, but that could've been more to do with just being conditioned to CRT timings? I know that when I was getting into GF I managed a number of excellents (100% perfect) on the Sony LCD that we had at the time, but could not get anywhere near my previous IIDX records. That's not to say it's not possible to get AAA's and the like, but chances are if you are able to do that on a HDTV you could almost certainly do better with a 0 lag setup.

To answer your first question though: I don't really recognise that I'm doing it, but it's definitely visuals that work better for me. Whilst I used to find that knowing a song and the beat helped, the factor by which my score would increase / decrease when I was using the right / wrong speed mods was massive. Generally I found that the faster I that up until a certain point, the faster I could play something, the better I would score it. For some songs I'd use the infamous 'towel mod' too, but now sudden+ exists there's really no need for that any more.

Also, in digging through my webspace I found this

Comment

I always play by ear too. I've modded my KoC in various ways though so I think my buttons actuate faster than they should. Would like a DJ Dao in time, but I've been saying that for years now..

Comment

Working...
      X