Otomedious X (Excellent)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Otomedious X (Excellent)

I wasn't expecting this to arrive at the weekend but here it is.

And it is probably exactly what you would expect. It's a Gradius clone with cute graphics loads of squealing lolis and annoyingly catchy tunes.
    Maybe not a difficult on normal as regular Gradius but rump up the difficulty and it is more of a challenge.
    Not exactly a classic but quite fun in a nostalgic kind of way.
    A few graphical glitches here and there though. Seems a bit like a doujin shooter to be honest.

Otomedious X (Excellent)

Is it worth buying? Is it region free? Well, yes, if you liked the original Otomedious or even the Parodious games then you'll like this since it's basically the same game. Is it region free? I have no idea but I'd venture on the probably not side with it being Konami.

LOOKS - The game has been given a face lift over the original but it's still not what I'd call stunning. If you saw it on a Dreamcast then yes, stunning would be the word but for a 360 it's average at best. it seems Konami are no longer the company they were in the days of the SFC when they wowed us with Axelay.

SOUND - Pretty much the same as the original really. Loads of "sexy" voice chatter from the ladies as well as appropriate music. Nothing that you'd really want to listen to outside of the game to be honest. Sound effects are also lacking. There are many areas that need a good booming explosion sound effect when all you get in NOTHING.

PLAYABILITY - As with all Konami Gradius inspired games there's the typical power up style were by you collect power icons in order to select a desired power up option from the selection bar at the bottom of the screen. There's nothing new at all here that hasn't been seen in pretty much every other Konami shooter. Unlike most vertical scrolling shooters, there's no real crazy bullet patterns, no real milking for score and well..... nothing all that special at all. You do have goals throughout the levels such as trying to collect as many power up icons and various coloured gems in order to boost scores and unlock stuff but it's no where near as complicated as most shooters these days. In fact you could say that there is nothing at all original about this game apart from killing certain enemies or patterns will award you with a power up card that can be used when selecting your playable character. talking about the characters, there's certainly a wide selection but once you have enough power up cards you can equip pretty much everyone to have your favourite weapon system completely making the choice of character irrelevant unless one has a voice that makes you wet. Oh and let's not forget the slowdown. In some areas the slowdown seems to be deliberate in order to make the game easier but in others it's there for no apparent reason apart from piss poor programming.

To be honest, Otomedious X is not a game for everyone. If you like horizontal scrolling games then sure, you'll like this if you want a very basic shooter and are pretty crap at shooters in general. I completed the game on normal with 1 life! yes, 1 life! I didn't die once and while I'm not bad at shooters I'm not Cave 1cc master that's for sure.

The bottom line is that Konami are a bunch of lay sods these days. While I do enjoy Otomedious X it could have been so much better in every possible area.
    Last edited by Yakumo; 26-04-2011, 00:17.

Comment

IIRC Konami will publish Otomedius X on US marketplace in September...BTW, have you bought the chair-equipped limited edition or went for the more mundane (and sane) standard edition ?

One of the things I hated about the first Otomedius is that how the hitpoint of your ship was hard to define, it moved around when the camera shifted perspective or even when the characters' legs moved. Does that happen in X too?

Comment

I got the normal version

The hit box from what I can gather are the two coloured balls or they're probably ment to be lights that are situated at the front and back of the ship. The point doesn't seem to change like in the first game so at least that's been sorted out. It's still not 100% clear as to where the hit point are though. That's just where I think they are.

Comment

This sounds pretty dire, just like the first. Due to feeling some kind of bizarre obligation to buy as many of the 360 shmups as possible I'll grab it at some point, but I'll be waiting on some heavy discountage first.

Comment

Now available in US version ?22. Not sure if it's region locked yet.

Comment

I will report back when I know; my VG+ copy shipped a while back.

Comment

Just heard back from VG+. It's US locked.

Comment

You beat me by 4 minutes. Yup, it's locked.

Comment

Game looks like it would run on a 32mb GeForce.

Comment

Awful game. Boringly easy and it visually inferior to its predecessor.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Monkey Balls View Post
                        Awful game. Boringly easy and it visually inferior to its predecessor.
                        Visually inferior? Otomedius G was one of the most shallow-looking shoot'em'ups ever produced, it's hard to think Konami were able to "outdo" themselves.

Comment

Working...
                        X