People of the forum learn C# (JOIN US.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People of the forum learn C# (JOIN US.)

They learn to code ALL AT ONCE. Well, two of us. Wanna join in? JOIN IN! Learning together is easier than learning on your own, after all.

Here's a link to Rob Miles' Yellow Book. The 2010 edition. That's the one we're going to be using, in combination with Google and begging people on the forum that know how to code, to help. If there's anything at all that you don't understand, then ask about it. We're all going through the same stuff, and we're all here to get each other through it.

Here's how much it'll cost you:

The book: FREE
    The program to code in: FREE
    Help on the forum: FREE

So if you can afford it, why not join in?

We're not just trying to code games, here (though that's obviously an aim at the end.) This is about learning the basics of C# so that we can use them properly later, rather than copying the code for Pong out of a book and compiling it. If you do just want to make a game, then I'd suggest any number of GameMaker type programs would better serve you.

It'll be hard work. I'll give up along the way. But it could be fun!

And now... WE BEGIN.

(Well, you can begin. I'm going out to buy a notebook first so I can make notes.)

Making notes, eh? Sounds good. Do you have any angle of attack? Gonna dive straight in? What sort of notes will you be taking?

Comment

Good luck to you, (I'll be learning c++ alongside you two). Just make sure you actually get stuck in reading and most importantly programming. As normally so many of these community programming sessions end up with a lot of discussion and no real code being written.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex WS View Post
        Making notes, eh? Sounds good. Do you have any angle of attack? Gonna dive straight in? What sort of notes will you be taking?
        Just notes of anything important/that I feel it's important to get my head around. Like what a method is. Not so much so that I can refer to it later, just that writing stuff down makes it stick in my head more.

And I can refer to it later, if I want!

Comment

Would it be better to have this thread somewhere else, like General Gaming? It seems a bit lost right now. I assume very many people only glance over the Gaming and Non-Gaming categories.

Comment

Nah, it's better where the people that find it will be committed to it.

Comment

Well, have you learnt the Hello World program yet..?

Comment

Bit late to the party but count me in. Just downloaded that book and it's hilarious. Shame I didn't think to start this sooner(the past 3-4 weeks at work have been pretty dead and I've been sitting on NTSC/FB the whole time. I'd have made Sonic Generations HD already) but never mind.

Wish I could get a printed copy of the book, though.

This is the 2010 version of the book, which still has an attractive yellow cover and a fancy crinkled effect that took literally seconds to create

Comment

Working...
                X