Compatibility Inquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compatibility Inquiry

This is my first post here, but I have been a member since last year when I first moved to the UK (Glasgow).

My NTSC-J 360 just E74ed itself out of commission, so I am about to burn student loan money on a replacement. I am thinking of picking one up tomorrow or next week, but am a little weary of buying a system only to discover that it is incompatible with my current game library.

My research on Play-Asia indicates that nearly all of my Japanese games will NOT function on a PAL 360. I don't mind this too much since I've played through most of them and none are particularly hot multiplayer titles. The Regional Compatibility list also says that about half of my Asia region games will not work with a PAL 360. Again, I'm not tremendously bothered by that for the same reasons.

My real concern is that Play-Asia claims that nearly all of my US games (I checked entries for each of 38 titles and only 2 were NTSC-only) WILL play on a PAL system. I would be elated to believe that (and happy to possess a local system for the first time in several years), but I have been fooled by similar research before.

Can anyone here verify that the Play Asia list is accurate? Or that some NTSC-U games do indeed operate on a PAL Xbox 360?

I have never used a PAL system (of any generation) and don't know anyone who would let me test these games on their system, but I thought this crowd might have specific experience and knowledge. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

51%

A lot of NTSC-U games are indeed region-free. The success rate must be around 80% or maybe even higher, especially for major releases. It mostly tends to be low-selling niche titles that are region-locked.

Have you checked this thread?

Its biased towards the compatability of PAL games on NTSC-J machines, but it might be of some use.

Comment

There's this thread too which is a list compiled from a bunch of places. Most that have been confirmed by PA are labelled as such! I will say again, if anyone wants to contribute to that list it would be helpful.

Comment

Thanks for the link. I read through and am pretty confident now with the results of my initial research, but I am also a bit gutted about the loss of J functionality, and the sudden unplayability of 25 titles from my game library.

Any opinion on owning a machine of one region over the other?

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
          There's this thread too which is a list compiled from a bunch of places. Most that have been confirmed by PA are labelled as such! I will say again, if anyone wants to contribute to that list it would be helpful.
          If I end up generating any useful data (whether in confirmation or refutation of the existing list), I will definitely contact you and let you know. Resources like this are tremendously valuable.

Comment

Working...
          X