Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premier League 2011/12 general thread

A new season be upon us!

Half time at the Charity Shield. Not the most deserved 2-0 lead by Man City who were slow off the mark and didn't do a great deal in the first half. Not good from De Gea for the second goal. Had a clear view, only slightly off to the side.

Man U did their starting opening 10 minutes blitz before settling down a bit. Man City look set to continue their less than thrilling style of football of the last few seasons.

Huge defensive collapse by City, I don't care who you're playing against, allowing a team to get 4-5 passes inside the box without any challenges or interceptions is shocking defending.

Comment

Great curtain raiser to the season. Both defences have lacked at key moments but that happens. Utd have looked irresistable at times, certainly the better side. City look dull and restrained under Mancini, looks like there is a beast there waiting to be unleashed.

Comment

City have been poor. Dull and boring yet nowhere near as in control of possession or as comfortable as they need to be defensively for this playstyle to work.

Comment

Defending of the highest order.

Comment

Utterly shocking.

Still, good to know Man City won't be title contenders without some major transformation occuring.

Comment

Hard to know about Man City since they were without Tevez and the only new signing they showcased was a defender who can't even defend. It's bizarre how poor their football seems to be though, when they've spent so much money on so much talent. And some ****e, but some talent too. Their only real success last season was their ability to shut other teams out by boring them to death, and shipping three goals suggests that they might be worse off than last season.

Certainly reassessing my choice of Hart in the Fantasy Football. Did Cech get injured or was that actually something else I dreamed?

Comment

City seems entirely focused in mid field. They had little to offer up front and the less said about their defence, the better.

A few seasons ago they could've excused this approach but now? They look as far away from winning a title as ever. I hope we're not going to be stuck with another team that cruises into the Champions League each year, especially with this style of football.

Comment

They've got no competition for the CL places this year. United and Chelsea are a shoo-in, then you've got Liverpool and Man City, with Arsenal way, way back in fifth or lower (unless Gervinho can carry the entire team until he sods off). There's no other team really that have strengthened enough from last season to suggest that they can challenge for the CL places, with most aside from the aforementioned predicted top-four seeming to be weaker than last year.

Except Sunderland maybe, they might be stronger but they ain't gon' challenge.

Comment

Haha! Indeed, we won't get into the top 6. We still haven't got a proper centre forward, or a single left-sided player who actually wants to play there. We will simply not score enough goals.

Good game that.

Comment

I'd say Arsenal have a better shot at 4th than Liverpool. As much as they've lost some huge players, I think they'll still continue their playing style and enough of the weaker teams will give them too much space and let them pass the ball around freely. Liverpool... their form last season and the changes in the squad make me think they're set up as a low scoring side and they'll have too many draws to make 4th.

It's a hard league to call this year. Man U and Chelsea are both rebuilding and injecting youth into their squad (both have looked good pre-season), Arsenal have been gutted out by the players they've had leave. Liverpool are recovering from a major decline and their side's been reshaped. Spurs have gotten weaker (especially if Modric does go). It's unusual for so many sides to heavily rebuild so fast though.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                        Haha! Indeed, we won't get into the top 6. We still haven't got a proper centre forward, or a single left-sided player who actually wants to play there. We will simply not score enough goals.
                        Is Gyan not a centre-forward?

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                          I'd say Arsenal have a better shot at 4th than Liverpool. As much as they've lost some huge players, I think they'll still continue their playing style and enough of the weaker teams will give them too much space and let them pass the ball around freely. Liverpool... their form last season and the changes in the squad make me think they're set up as a low scoring side and they'll have too many draws to make 4th.
                          I've seen almost nothing from Arsenal in the entire of 2011 that suggests they can play a football match that lasts 90 minutes. They're going to be exactly the same this season, they're going to play brilliantly and get leads, then they're going to start coasting after the first hour and throw the leads away. They just don't care enough.

Comment

He is, but what I meant was that he has no-one established to partner him. Bent has still not been replaced, indeed, his goals can't be. But his top-flight experience can, yet hasn't.

If Gyan gets injured, we're fooked up front.
                            Last edited by prinnysquad; 07-08-2011, 18:12.

Comment

Why have Stoke signed Upson? They think Woody will cripple up? Surely Shawcross and Huth are lynchpins of that team.

Comment

Working...
                              X