Drowning out the crowd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drowning out the crowd

Well, that's one way to deal with opposing team chants you don't like...

Bundesliga club Hoffenheim apologise after an employee admits using a high-frequency sound system to drown out visiting Dortmund fans.

Not a *legal* way though...

FIFA and UEFA stamp down pretty heavily on 'biased' stadium announcers for internationals from what I remember. Sure there was a game at the Euros or World Cup where the host nation was losing and a stadium announcer said something along the lines of "come on, lets show our support for our team" and got into big trouble over it.

Sounds like they actively brought in their own speaker system though which is masterful trolling.

Biggest annoyance is the inconsistancy between stadia about if you can stand or not. Liverpool always gets hyped when they have their fans standing, singing at the start of a game but at Stamford Bridge if we try it, we get threatened with being chucked out of the ground because of police guidelines.

Comment

Liverpool has a less tolerant view to away fans standing up tho

the guidelines are from the local council/license authority rather than the police. My Mum worked for Villa so dealt with it alot seeing as none of us at the back of the Holte ever sit

...each council has different rules and then they are not black+white so interpreted differently by diff clubs.

on my travels round the place on away days Chelsea are second only to Spurs on their hardline 'sit down or get chucked out' stance. Whereas Wigan, Bolton, Stoke and amazingly Wembley are the only places ive ever been where we were not told to sit down once!

Comment

Wembley is a noise vacuum though, they need to do whatever they can to keep the noise up.

Too many dead zones, stops chants from spreading easily and softens the roar you'd expect at Wembley. I got more atmosphere at Old Trafford in the nosebleeds for an FA cup semi than I did the next year in Wembley in what should've been more atmospheric seats.

Comment

Working...
        X