Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we happier when we are unhappy?

Hi guys

Ive been thinking about this for a few days and I thought I would put it to the forum to see what we all thought.

When I was reading Edge part of it jumped out and caught my eye. I was going to directly quote the text, but unfortunately Ive left my Edge at work and Im on hols just now. Nothing gets me to go into work when I am on Holiday so I'll just need to muddle by on my own.

It basically regarded the portion of gamers who seem happy moaning about the current state of play in the videogame market. Gamers who at times can only see the "dark side" of the current situation and therefore the ratio of good things to say : bad things to say greatly favours the bad. This leads to a lack of game playing motivation, and a general lethargic attitude towards the whole hobby.

At times I look at these forums and I can see where Edge is coming from. There are spells where it seems that the majority of us are unhappy, and maybe are expecting too much from the devlopers and console producers. I know that personally I am definately guilty of being negative towards certain aspects of the hobby. Always quick to critise, yet slow to congratulate.

What are your thoughts? Are we on the whole a bunch of Victor Meldrews, or are we a bunch of happy larrys?

People love to complain - and there's plenty to complain about - look at those sad gits who phone up just to complain that they were offended by an advert - people complain about films, music, food. etc. etc.

Comment

It's not just gamers, but human nature in general. People like to whinge, moan, and generally grumble, and as a nation I think the UK is particularly bad for it. If you look at many forms of entertainment you get loads of people who seem to love moaning about aspects of the thing they supposedly love.

Of course, gamers seem partiularly bad for it, quite why I'm not sure, although it could be born from the console-war aspect, often people moan about the opposition or when their system isn't performing as it should (like footie fans).

I'd have to admit I've had a good whinge about games and that from time to time, but generally I enjoy my gaming, and have periods where not being a gamer would seem like a nightmare. Of course, there are some games which deserve being moaned about...

Comment

right now i hate gaming... though it's not because 'it was better years ago' it's mainly 'cos there's 3 consoles out that i want and i lack the spondoolies to purchase them all

Comment

Originally posted by Crisp_Rapper
          right now i hate gaming... though it's not because 'it was better years ago' it's mainly 'cos there's 3 consoles out that i want and i lack the spondoolies to purchase them all
          You need credit!!

Then...like me...you can moan till your blue in the face about how much debt your in and the cost of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShend
            Originally posted by Crisp_Rapper
            You need credit!!

Then...like me...you can moan till your blue in the face about how much debt your in and the cost of interest.

yes! but i'm moving next month... will get better paid job and my own place in which to put games of varying types and i'll just plaaaaaaaaaay all the time

Comment

I see your point, but I also think the current state of gaming leaves a lot to be desired.

This isn't mawkish pining for the 'good old days', but the current industry model, the over-reliance on franchises, sequels (some games really ::don't:: need to be sequelised) and the whole identikit 'me too' approach to game creation is worrying.

Comment

Originally posted by Ady
                I see your point, but I also think the current state of gaming leaves a lot to be desired.

This isn't mawkish pining for the 'good old days', but the current industry model, the over-reliance on franchises, sequels (some games really ::don't:: need to be sequelised) and the whole identikit 'me too' approach to game creation is worrying.
                It's the same as every other industry. Are films and music really any different?

There will ALWAYS be sequels and licences and whatnot. The industry is in no worse state than any other.

I don't mind every game being a sequel from this point on as long as they're as good as Zelda.

Comment

Originally posted by sam1981
                  It's the same as every other industry. Are films and music really any different?

There will ALWAYS be sequels and licences and whatnot. The industry is in no worse state than any other.

I don't mind every game being a sequel from this point on as long as they're as good as Zelda.
                  I've always been skeptical of direct comparisons between gaming and other entertainment industries.

With music, for instance someone someone dissatisfied with Top-40 music has plenty of other avenues to explore. Budding musicans who operate outside 'mainstream interests' also have ways of making their mark. The same applies with cinema.

The notorious 'product' orientated strangehold of publishers limits the sort of games that get made. That, and the costs for developing a game means that consumer's choices are a lot more limited than they are with music or cinema.

Comment

This is a bit of a hijack, but It's my birthday today! This morning WE6 came from Lik-Sang, my wife bought me DOAXVB and my copy of Dance Dance Rev came form some bloke off ebay. Gaming is cool, loads of decent games, not enough money and not enough hours in the day to play them.

Comment

There are plenty of games I want, too little money. Therefore I moan like a granny.

Comment

I'm more than happy with the current releases.

But i'm extremely picky when it comes to buying games.

I buy about 1 game every 3 months.

My last purchase was Metroid Prime, that was 2 months ago, now i have Zelda, that'll do nicely until i've got the cash for PDO and then SC2 which will be a while off.

I still haven't got Animal Crossing!!1!, which makes the day that i do, one to look forward to.

Comment

So far this year, there has been a flurry of good titles on every system, not really much to complain about there.

But whining in general is a good thing AS LONG AS THERE'S JUSTIFICATION FOR IT. It's only when people complaing about things that action is taken to remedy a poor product or service. Just mindless bleating about stuff isn't productive at all though.

Personally when there's not much good new stuff to go at though, I'm perfectly happy to get some old stuff finished.

Comment

I could whinge all day about the ****eness that is FIFA, Tomb Raider, Army Men blahblahblah etcetcetc

But instead, i'll just concentrate on the stuff i like and sod the stuff i don't.

I hate bitchin for bitchin sake.

Pointless, 'go play zelda and stfu' I say.

Comment

It?s a given that there will always be complainers, but this generation of hardware I?ve found my self rather jaded and under whelmed with the bulk of what?s on offer.

Last night alone, having dusted off the Cube for the first time in a month or two I found myself cursing the size of the games I?ve bought. It?s not like they?re too small, it?s that the blasted things are too long & too repetitive.

As such I find myself leaving more and more titles unfinished as after the first dozen hours my patience wanes. What I?m looking for these days are dinners for one, things that are easy to pick up, interesting to play and finished before they wear out their welcome.

Wind Waker currently sits unopened as after the commitment I gave to OoT & Majora?s Mask I?m almost afraid to open it, for fear I just won?t finish it.

For all it?s flaws, I think Nintendo were onto something with Luigi?s Mansion. It was easy to play, looked and sounded well and was interesting enough to sustain you for the handful of playtime it offered.

I think, games are starting to stop being fun for me.
                              Sitting down to the latest over-hyped piece of trash, or the latest long meandering epic, in an epic series is almost starting to churn my stomach.

Comment

Working...
                              X