PAL Zelda Skyward Sword on a US Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAL Zelda Skyward Sword on a US Machine

Hey guys, I was looking at the usual places to order the LE bundle with the controller from the US and can't find anywhere, I was just wondering if I bought it, if it would work on my US Wii?

It's softmodded etc and I'm sure i've played PAL games on it before but I don't know if something's changed with stuff like this, it's been a while since I played a Wii game!

Thanks.

Well my US one plays Xenoblade, so i'm sure it would be fine.

Comment

The easy way is to use Gecko OS – it pulls the required IOS files from the disc. The other way is to disable region protection and firmware updates (the latter would brick your Wii) with Start Patcher and then your machine would be region free and you could load discs from the Wii channels.

Comment

I have exactly the same problem! My biggest fear is that the pal version might update my softmod useless. Have you considered importing the standard US version (videogamesplus.ca have it listed), and picking up the controller locally?

If you want it for LE/soundtrack reasons, trawling Ebay (at hyper-inflated prices) might be the only option.

Comment

I'm happy to confirm that the PAL version of SS at least has no on-disk update. If you have firmware 4.3 (which is homebrew friendly) then you don't need anything further than that.

Comment

yep... using mine with neogamma no probs

Comment

Is this Homebrew thing easy to do ? would i still be able to play my US downloads from the store after doing it and could I still buy more? tempted to do it if its doable by a meer mortal.

Comment

its pretty easy, took me less then 30min. Just need to follow the steps very carefully. I did try to go on the shopping channel but it said i needed to upgrade firmware, which i didn't. My downloads from before are still playable tho. Not sure if the softmod is available on the latest firmware.

Comment

Where can we get these instructions?

Comment

Tempted to do it as I can't be arsed in waiting for stuff to turn up on Ebay now.

Comment

Installing the homebrew channel is dead easy and then you can stick Gekko on there and play any imports. Restoring access to the shopping channel on a modded Wii is relatively straightforward too- just make sure you follow the instructions. Have a look in the Wii modding thread in the Q&A section, all the answers lie within...
                      Last edited by endo; 18-11-2011, 10:33.

Comment

And this doesn't spefically answer the original question, but I played the PAL version with no problems whatsoever last night on my soft-modded PAL Wii, via Gekko. No probs with the golden wiimote either.
                        There is a firmware update on disc, but then I'm still on 3.4 (I think) so practically every game wants to update the firmware now. Easy enough to ignore or even disable that though.

Comment

Just update, all your homebrew will still work with 4.3 provided they have had updates themselves.

Your version of Gecko should have auto updated so that will definitely still work.

Comment

Might try it tonight then. I don't use the Wii that much to be honest, but when I do I make sure to get on the HB browser and see if anything needs updating. Gekko is definitely on the latest version (though it hasn't been updated for quite a while).
                            So a straight update off the disc will be cool and not bork the HB channel?

Comment

If anyone still wants to go down the importing route, I managed to order mine off EB.com for $69.99 plus $14.99 international postage (about ?54 delivered).

Comment

Working...
                              X