Kuon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kuon

Take a look at this, could be interesting, although having a young female central character feels to be very much the in thing at the moment. Taken from Gamespot:

"According to the latest Famitsu magazine, From Software has announced a new horror action game, titled Kuon, for the PlayStation 2. Kuon translates to "nine grudges" in English.

Kuon takes place in a haunted mansion in ancient Japan during the Heiankyo period (dating back to the late 1100s).

The main character is a 15-year-old girl who has wandered into a huge mansion in search of her father and sister. Together with four trainee exorcists sent by their master to uncover the mansion's mysteries, the girl must use a number of seals (similar to medallions) to survive numerous Japanese-style monsters.

Kuon will have no gameplay interruptions, and an enemy will stalk the player at all times, thus intensifying the game's horror.

Kuon is currently 25 percent complete and is scheduled for a spring 2004 release. "

Kuon will have no gameplay interruptions, and an enemy will stalk the player at all times, thus intensifying the game's horror.
    This sounds interesting, although i hope its not done in the same way Resident Evil Nemesis had scripted points where the Nemesis encounters took place. Would be good if you stood still long enogh this big scary monster would eventually catch up to you!

Comment

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I was wondering if anyone had bough Kuon, and if so, did they post any impressions (I've searched the forum and come up empty handed).

Marcus, did you pick this up?

Comment

Yep, only played briefly before it was sent off for review. Based on about 10 minutes play, it seemed atmospheric enough, the central charecter you control is quite elegant, it suffered for me at least in that the enemies I encountered were not particularly unsettling in a silent hill type way which is what I was hoping for. Lots of shadow movement, it might be playable in Japanese as the menus seemed reasonably ok to work out. Really cant say too much more as I no longer have it, looks promising, if not amazing to me. Ill move this to FP, hopefully people might have some more impressions.

Comment

That's the impression I got from the various previews I've read. I was hoping for something along the lines of Silent Hill as well.

I'll definately be keeping my eye on this one.

Comment

Keep an eye on the homepage as we hope to have a review soonish.

Comment

Kuon = Juon?

Juon is a really good japanese horror movie that has spawned a sequel and is currently getting a new film made in co-production with the americans with the original director.

It sounds awfully like it even the title.

Comment

I've seen this game from a friend of mine, but we just play some minutes (about 30) 'coz we got to play WE7
                i can say graphics are fluid, with use of an old lamp in a "silent hill torch style". We can choose from 2 female characters at beginning, I don't know if there is another one and what are the differences between them.
                The one I got was very elegant but... very slow. I did not find the run key but I think there is not a "run key"! ft:
                We was fighting some little zombi (they are not so well inspired on design) with a knife. Maybe there are other weapons on the game.
                I'm waiting for an NTSC-USA or Pal version in order to get this game.
                See you!

Comment

Sorry to resurrect an old thread again BUT its out this friday in UK.

Brief impressions from what i have played so far..

Its a really nice conversion it has full 60hz option, Multi language English speech or Japanese Language speech with english subs, you can flick between mid game in the options screen.
                  Havent played a huge ammount of this game though but from the brief half hour ive played it's got a really good atmosphere to it.

The gameplay is odd as combat is done with cards and melee weapons, so far i have used the magic cards, bit like summon cards you use to summon creatures to fight on your behalf or by your side. You can have melee weapons also but i aint got any yet i have only done about a half hour of it though.
                  There are 2 playable charaters with two different stories, hopefully branching together in some way.
                  Apparently this version is also Uncut and Uncensored, havent played Jap or USA versions so i cant tell whats been cut or not, the first movie scene i saw though is a bit gory and wierd, damn horrible long haired creepy kids.

Will play some more and post some more impressions soon.

Comment

^^

Any more impressions mate, as I am thinking of picking this up today.

Cheers

Comment

^^

Ooops just checked and its oput on the 28th October.

Doh.

Comment

Yeah, funny that as i think its been released in other regions in europe just not the UK, maybe because of the gore its been sent to the BBFC.
                        Was expecting it to come out too, was gonna buy it....cough.

Comment

ima hafta bring this up again as the relase for this game as stated on play.com is now end of this month, and it includes the original jap voices too. Anyone still interested in this game? or is it too old hat now?

Comment

I have been playing review code of this for the past week, and its a bit.. well average really. Completley outdated gameplay since RE4, awful combat and akward controls. You can run around, but you aren't allowed too because you get vertigo in invisible areas, and enemies can hear you so you have to walk everywhere! Joy!

The combat is just dull with either a little dagger or fan, and some very infinite supplies of attacking magic and summoning spells meaning you can't experiment with it. And a save system like the typewriters and ribbon in previous RE's. Sigh.

It's also got some seriously awful English localization. All your base indeed.. It does contain the original Japanese dialogue which is cool, but its the scripts you pick up and clues you have to figure out which are wtf? The same goes for the story, it doesn't make sense half the time.

It does nothing new, and older games do it better imo. Not worth the entry price.

Comment

thanks for the info DC arena. I saw a few trailers and it looked good............ but after your comments i think ima hafta turn my attention to other games more deserving of my attention. Of course bargain basement prices might sway me in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X