Euro 2012 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro 2012 Thread

Suppose we should have a thread for the whole tournament, otherwise everything will probably end up in the England thread. Looking forward to the big kick-off tonight! I love the summer international tournaments, patio door open to let in a cooling breeze from the summer heat, BBQ on the go... hmm, maybe we won't be having those elements this year

I'm going for a win for Poland against Greece and a draw between Russia and Czech Republic tonight. So, in other words, bet on anything other than those outcomes!

I too love the tournaments even though I'm not bothered this year how En-ger-land do. Looking forward to Netherlands v Denmark and Germany v Portugal tomorrow particularly.

Reckon France will spank England on Monday.

Comment

Count me in too, rather watch international tournaments/CL rather than PL/domestic stuff nowadays.

Tomorrow's games look good as does Spain and Italy that's if they (Iniesta and chums) can keep from diving all over the shop.

Comment

I'm backing a Poland victory and probably a draw in the other game. Spain v Italy should be good, hope Italy win though.

Comment

I'll also plump for a Poland victory and score draw between Russia and Czech Republic tonight! Group B is definitely the one to watch, looking forward to a lazy Saturday down at the pub tomorrow watching both games.

In terms of England, I think all of our games will be close affairs like the warm up games. Realistically a draw would be a great result against the French, reckon we will draw against Sweden and a narrow victory over Ukraine to scrape through to the quarter finals. However England do I am sure it will be a fantastic tournament just like it was in 2008.

Comment

I prefer the European Championships to the World Cup, you usually get more good matches. I think Euro 2000 is my favourite still, tons of really good matches and exciting incident at that tournament.

Comment

I'm the opposite. I just can't get pumped for this tournament at all. I prefer the variety of the World Cup.

In the Euros there's the sense that you know all the players, which is a bit dull after a full season of fitba.

Comment

Originally posted by HumanEnergy View Post
                I prefer the European Championships to the World Cup, you usually get more good matches. I think Euro 2000 is my favourite still, tons of really good matches and exciting incident at that tournament.
                Agreed. Euro 2000 might just possibly be the best international tournament that I've seen in my lifetime thus far. SO many great matches, quality football, dramatic incidents, etc.

In recent years, Euros > World Cups for me in terms of excitement, drama and football quality. Though I do feel that this will change for the worse seeing that the Euro 2016 finals will contain 24 teams instead of 16 - a poor decision on Platini's UEFA's part that will surely dilute the quality of the tournament in the same way that the World Cup is.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                  I'm the opposite. I just can't get pumped for this tournament at all. I prefer the variety of the World Cup.

In the Euros there's the sense that you know all the players, which is a bit dull after a full season of fitba.
                  In theory I prefer the World Cup, for the reasons you mentioned, but in practice I've got more memories of exciting matches at the Euros than I have from the World Cup, so I've ended up looking forward to the Euros more.

Although the unknown player factor at the World Cup is getting less and less these days anyway. A huge chunk of the top South American and African players play in Europe, and I'm sure that the number of Asians playing in Europe is going to increase a lot over the coming years too. Plus we can see stuff like the Copa America and ACN on telly, the number of teams at a World Cup which are completely unknown to us are gonna shrink every tournament.

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                  In recent years, Euros > World Cups for me in terms of excitement, drama and football quality. Though I do feel that this will change for the worse seeing that the Euro 2016 finals will contain 24 teams instead of 16 - a poor decision on Platini's UEFA's part that will surely dilute the quality of the tournament in the same way that the World Cup is.
                  I can understand that they want to get more teams involved, give more smaller nations that chance to qualify, which is a good thing as it's nice to see new countries have a chance at the big time. On the flip side though, once you start getting that many teams in the final tournament it does start becoming a bit of a slog.

Comment

Apparently the dutch have already experienced racial abuse at training. This combined with the unbelievable BBC documentary recently, makes you wonder if this tournament will be a non starter.

Ducth, italian players already saying if they get abused they will walk off pitch, and refs instructed to end games if it occurs.

I mean did they really give the euro event to such a nation/nations?

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post

I don't agree with the increase of teams will lead to the reduction in quality. A lot of decent level sides that are as good as some of the ones in there will make it a more plump competition, but perhaps not overall better.

No Serbia, Bosnia, Norway, Slovenia, Belguim, Turkey, Romania, WALES, and a few others are all solid outfits.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post

No Serbia, Bosnia, Norway, Slovenia, Belguim, Turkey, Romania, WALES, and a few others are all solid outfits.
                        Sorry. With a few exceptions, most of those sides are average at best. If they didn't qualify for a 16-team Euro finals, it's surely because they weren't good enough to do so.

I understand why this has to happen, but World Cup group stages often end up with many dead rubber matches and boring games. This is in part due to there being so many (often average/mediocre) teams in them. World Cups very often don't get good until the last 16/last 8 stages.

16 teams in the Euros is spot-on, you have cracking groups with thrilling games in prospect where every match has something on the line, something to play for.

I personally don't want a "plump" Euro finals when a tight tournament with 16 generally good teams who (for the most part) all (bar one or two) have a realistic chance of winning the competition is INFINITELY better.

Comment

I do see your point. I just find the Euros to be too short as I adore international football more than anything. Some of those teams would have lost out by a point or on goal difference or via a play off. That is why I don't think it will make the standard better, but will make the competition as good but with more matches.

You can argue that 32 is too many, I think 16 is too short so surely 24 will keep up both happy! (I like the 32 of the World Cup though, but not in the Euros)

Comment

Spain vs Italy, can't wait for that unless (as has already been mentioned) Italy start diving all over the show.

Originally posted by StuM82 View Post
                            I too love the tournaments even though I'm not bothered this year how En-ger-land do. Looking forward to Netherlands v Denmark and Germany v Portugal tomorrow particularly.

Reckon France will spank England on Monday.
                            Yeah, I've got the same feeling too. The papers love Woy though, so I'm sure whatever happens he'll come out smelling of roses.

Comment

I'm predicting a tournament win for Poland.

And I'll be supporting my motherland all the way.

Actually, I doubt we'll get out of the group, but at least I'm honest about my teams chances.

If England win, I'll eat my trilby.

Comment

Working...
                              X