Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to get a Spice GameCube (JPN) - need some advice

Hi there,

I'm hoping to get some advice. I'm considering purchasing a spice orange GameCube (these were only made for the Japanese market). The seller I'm looking to buy from says this console has been modified to play NTSC games, and has explained that I simply have to hold down the reset button when powering the system on. Seems simple enough to me, I used to own a PAL GC back in the day which had a modification in it that allowed me to play all region games.

Unfortunately, this system is one of the later models which removed the port for the component cable, so I'm assuming I'll be stuck with standard composite cables to connect up to my TV. I'd like to know if it's possible to use other connections for a better quality picture, e.g. scart, S-video or anything else.

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.

MODS - can someone please move this to the console questions section?
    Last edited by exZAKtly; 27-11-2012, 20:56. Reason: Request to have thread moved

I'm sure the spice ones were launched way before they removed those ports so I'm 100% sure you'd be able to track one down that did have one.

The actual component cables themselves are probably quite hard to find, they were even at the time.

Comment

The component cables go for WAAAAAYYY more than the consoles.
      I regret not buying up a few more while in Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
        I'm sure the spice ones were launched way before they removed those ports so I'm 100% sure you'd be able to track one down that did have one.

The actual component cables themselves are probably quite hard to find, they were even at the time.
        The one I've found is practically new. The seller seems to know his stuff, and confirmed that this model definitely doesn't have a component port.

Anyone know about what other connections I may be able to use outside of the standard composite?

Comment

I sold my GC component cable for ?30 a few years ago :'( in order to fund a Wii component cable at launch lol.

I think the best you'll get out of the standard AV port on an NTSC Cube is S-video.

Comment

Sounds like it has been recased then.

Comment

Hmmm...I'm tempted look for a US GameCube component model instead then.

I had a look on the rules thread and couldn't see anything specific about modchips. Ideally looking to find someone who can install one. If this is against the rules, I'll remove the question.

Thanks.

Comment

Do you need a chip? Normally you just have a switch that swaps regions.

Comment

It looks like all of the orange Gamecubes I can find which have the component port on the back are Japanese, so will ideally need to get this modded to play all my GC games.

Do you know if it's possible to use a GC scart cable on a NTSC-J system? If so, I may just opt for the pre-modded one I've found which requires holding down of the reset button. I'd ideally like to have the best possible picture quality though...never used the standard composite cables when I had a GC back in the day...can anyone comment on this?

Comment

Looking to get a Spice GameCube (JPN) - need some advice

You will need to get hold of the modded rgb scart cable for NTSC game cubes to have the best picture quality if your not using the component cable.

Comment

Thanks wod. I had a look around, and it doesn't look like I can buy one of these online easily. There are instructions to do it online, but this stuff goes beyond me!

Comment

The modded RGB scart cable is a modded component cable anyway and if you have a tv with component inputs it would make sense to use that for 480p.

I think a modded PAL gamecube would allow an RGB output via a regular scart cable and a 480p/component output through the digital out.

You could then swap the casing with a spice one if you want a funky color better.

Comment

I'm only speaking from second-hand knowledge here, but I believe even modded NTSC-U or PAL Gamecubes have issues saving in a good number of NTSC-J games (specifically all ones made by Namco) as it's not possible to format a memory card to the Japanese settings on an English console. On top of that, they won't display Japanese text correctly in a lot of games (not specific to Namco).

With that said, if you don't mind those issues, go for a modded PAL one for the reasons EvilBoris listed.

Comment

This is true, they would display all crazy characters instead of japaenese text, but I suppose that if you don't speak Japanese that makes no difference

Comment

Thanks guys. I don't plan on playing any JPN games, I only have NTSC US games. Is there anyone who can make a modded RGB cable for me? Happy to pay for the service.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X