Japanese bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese bars

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to drink in a Japanese bar? I made this video in December at my "local" place. By local I mean it's the place go to when I go drinking. It's actually in the next city. All bars in this city where I live are pretty awful.

i'd be ready for a drink after walking all that way to that bar!!

Good job you got there earlier, doesn't look like theres enough room to swing a cat in there!

Thanks for the insight, i'm off to tesco to buy some Asahi
    Last edited by chojin; 04-01-2013, 06:24.

Comment

A building full of bars? And I thought I knew a lot about Japan!

Great video Yakumo, how long have you been living out there now?

Comment

Wow, really interesting video Yakumo. Thanks for posting it! Would love to see more. Not the prettiest bar I have ever seen but it seems cosy. I have to admit, I have always wanted to run a bar. But not a busy bar. A tiny bar which gets very few people, like one of those little old Eastern European bars although many are not unlike this one at all.

But you left at 6am and then went for a sleep in your car? Is that the done thing? You're surprisingly steady for someone who was drinking until 6.

Comment

Well, I've only been out drinking at 3-4 places in Japan, namely the Hub in Kashiwa, and some in Noda. That was a interesting video though.. got any more?

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
            A building full of bars? And I thought I knew a lot about Japan!

Great video Yakumo, how long have you been living out there now?
            Yep, there are many buildings full of bars. I thought it was crazy when I first saw it but now it's the norm. I've been in Japan for 14 years now.

But you left at 6am and then went for a sleep in your car? Is that the done thing? You're surprisingly steady for someone who was drinking until 6.
            I never get that drunk that I can't walk I also drink a lot of water between drinks to save my head the following day. Best way to go IMO. As for sleeping in the car, well, that is a little odd but it's free, warm and quiet in the place I park. Add the black tinted back windows and a sun screen on the front window and no one can see in

Well, I've only been out drinking at 3-4 places in Japan, namely the Hub in Kashiwa, and some in Noda. That was a interesting video though.. got any more?
            The HUB Pubs are quite big but they're more of a chain pub than a real Japanese style bar.

I'm going out again tonight surprisingly (twice in a matter of 3 weeks!! Lucky me ) but I'm planning on popping in to the gamers arcade before the bar so I'll be doing a video in there. I think I'll use my DLSR and have it around my neck as I casually walk about. Filming with a camera in plain sight but looks as if I'm just browsing.
            Last edited by Yakumo; 04-01-2013, 07:34.

Comment

Originally posted by k0pp0 View Post
              Dude, I've been there too. I worked in the Kashiwa NOVA for a few months after NOVA went under (2007/2008).

We used to have our work parties in Warawara in Abiko or Toride. We all worked in Toride but lived in Shinmatsudo/Kitakogane.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                Dude, I've been there too. I worked in the Kashiwa NOVA for a few months after NOVA went under (2007/2008).

We used to have our work parties in Warawara in Abiko or Toride. We all worked in Toride but lived in Shinmatsudo/Kitakogane.
                Bloody expensive in there. But the sheer amount of Gaijin (usually staying at the kashiwa plaza) are there to travel to the Bujinkan Dojo, and are always up for a good drink/laugh.

Yakumo, if I ever get over to Japan again, fancy showing me a good time? In a non-homoerotic sense that is.

Comment

Cool! I have some meetings over in Tokyo next week and will get one evening out before flying out again, no doubt we will be taken out for a meal, but do the games shops stay open quite late? If i get a few hours before we dine, where should I get a taxi to drive me? I've never been to Japan before, so I'm curious to see what it's like.

Comment

Originally posted by k0pp0 View Post
                    Bloody expensive in there. But the sheer amount of Gaijin (usually staying at the kashiwa plaza) are there to travel to the Bujinkan Dojo, and are always up for a good drink/laugh.

Yakumo, if I ever get over to Japan again, fancy showing me a good time? In a non-homoerotic sense that is.
                    No worries mate. I live about 500 miles away from Tokyo mind you.

Comment

Been to loads of Izakaya type bars including real local ones with the salarymen off their heads entertaining clients, really good and much prefer them to English pubs.

Nice vid by the way.

Comment

Thanks for the video Yakumo. I enjoyed your used game store one as well.

I'm going to Tokyo in June and I want to check out some bars like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                          No worries mate. I live about 500 miles away from Tokyo mind you.
                          Might be a bit tricky that then!! I would love to meet up with some english speakers over there - but to be honest I'm usually going over to get kicked about for a week, so money and time are in short supply.

Of course, I'd also have to get it past the missus as well, so that means no trips in the near future. I actually dream about going back....

Comment

There is a bar near Mabashi station on the Chiyoda subway/Jouban local line out of KitaSenju that sits at the corner of a carpark a ways up from the station. It's barely bigger than a car.

Here: http://goo.gl/maps/9pDem

I never actually went there and wish that I had just for the fun of it.

Comment

I loved that video, very cool indeed, dredged up love for the Yakuza games, I'd love to go on the piss in Japan.

What's the drinking atmos like there, is it often threatening and chaotic like it is over here or is it more polite and mellow - and how's the smoking situation, re: bars and pubs?

Comment

Working...
                              X