Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kindle Fire (HD) for reading comics/graphic novels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kindle Fire (HD) for reading comics/graphic novels?

Didn't know whether to start a new thread for this or not, but since the other one is for recommendations I thought I better do a new one.

I've been on a comics buying spree lately, I usually do every now and then as my nearest shop is about an hour away, so it's best to get loads at once and read them over a few weeks. I used to read lots on the psp comic store, alas thats now gone though, but a friend showed me an app on his ipad that works in a similar way, is there something similar for a kindle? I sold my ipad as I only used it as a web browser, but a kindle fire would be a sensible (cheaper) option for me, and I'd save loads on bus fares/petrol as I could travel over only when there are series I want to own physically are out.

I've done a search online, but got lots of conflicting answers, some say there are comic readers, but they aren't very good, others say there is a decent reader, but it doesn't do DC comics, which would be good, but still slightly disapointing.
    Last edited by Greg Moss; 08-02-2013, 18:13.

I own a W500 windows tablet and have been using it recently to read books and comics. I have experience of android apps and haven't found anything special. The marvel app is OK. The tablet format is definitely useful for reading comics though, I'd be inclined to look into cheaper brands though, something like the sumvision ones on buyer. The specs look very impressive for the price.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I've had a look at the comixology app on my android phone, seems like it could be the type of thing I'm looking for, obviously I'll need a tablet to view it on though, phone screen is far too small.

Comment

The only viewer I use is EbookDroid - cbr/cbz AND djvu compatible. The best viewer for the latter. It does PDF too of course.

The djvu ("deja vu") format is wonderfully obscure, and offers up to 10x better compression than PDF. You can tell the people who know of it by their eyepatch and accent

Comment

The Kindle Fire HD is a solid choice for comic book reading and I cover the major apps that are available on the device here. The big four that are available are through the Kindle Store (where you can get DC Comics), Comixology (which doesn't list DC in their Store, but there is a very easy workaround - see my review) and two solid CBR/CBZ readers: ComiCat and Perfect Viewer. I include videos, screenshots and more. Hope that helps with your options and happy reading.
          Last edited by comicbookreaderguide; 10-03-2013, 07:16.

Comment

You might as well buy a Nexus 7. It's the same price and is a proper Android tablet, not one geared toward selling you content through Amazon's storefront. You might want to get a tablet with a larger screen, though- I use Perfect Viewer with my 10" ASUS TF201 and it's great for comics and anim? and the text is perfectly legible, although I'd have to zoom in here and there if I was using a smaller screen.

Comment

For manga I think a 7 inch screen is fine. The pages are pretty small anyway. Actually an e-ink screen is the best for manga in my view.

For regular American comic books...yeah a 10 inch tablet is for the best, otherwise you'll be squinting or zooming.

Comment

I use Perfect Viewer on my Galaxy Note. I find the 5" screen to be perfect for manga.

Comment

1. Move in with me.
                  2. Join the library.
                  3. Sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                    1. Move in with me.
                    2. Join the library.
                    3. Sorted.
                    THIS! Lol

Still on with this, travelled over to Manchester and spent ?50 on comics and ?12 on parking, as the machine had the time wrong.

Is this the sort of thing you guys are on about?

I'm rubbish when it comes to tablets, so I don't want to buy something that's cack.

Comment

Working...
                    X