Thinking of switching to Japanese PSN..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of switching to Japanese PSN..

I'm thinking of switching to Japanese PSN (basically for PSO2 and because I've been learning Japanese)..
    If I ever bought an Asian version of a game on cartridge (vita) or disc (PS3) will the Japanese DLC work or not?
    Is it a mixed bag where it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't?
    Or is just safest to just bite the bullet and drop the money to switch to Japanese PSN wholly?

<beep beep> "Paging J0e Musashi.."

You probably need to quantify to what extent you want to 'switch' - not sure what it is that'd stop you running both accounts concurrently? My PS3 is set up with UK and JPN accounts, and I've got bits and bobs from both downloaded, all of which I just use from my UK account (I stick to this for trophy/friends list purposes).

With the Vita it becomes a bit more of a ballache; if you get a second memory card it's slightly less painful an ordeal, but still irritating having to drop settings and muck about when you want to switch.

I'm no expert on DLC for the PS3, but I understand it's on a case-by-case basis as to whether physical media Asian versions match up with their NTSC-J counterparts.

Comment

I imagine 9/10 cases games and dlc from other regions aren't compatible.

Switch your ps3 language to Japanese and you'll find a lot of your games will switch to japanese. Why bother with the j-psn? Go with the better price.

Comment

Also, you won't be able to purchase things from the store directly with your credit card, you will need to purchase points cards. Which s not hard, just a hassle.

Comment

Yeah, the PS3 is reasonably simple.
          The main issue for me is the Vita.

DLC, online passes etc. make me think that switching to a Japanese PSN account might be the best move.
          On PS3 it really doesn't matter as you say (other than for games with online passes).

I really want to play games like Phantasy Star Online 2, Samurai & Dragons etc. whilst also aiding my 'immersion' study for Japanese.

Comment

I made the switch from UK PSN to Japanese PSN on my Vita. The DLC and online pass for my UK WipEout 2048 do not work (but didn't bother repurchasing because WipEout HD is better anyway).

Overall, it's probably been worth the switch. I have Phantasy Star Online 2 downloading as I type this. The Japanese store is more expensive than the UK store though, and you will need to buy points cards online (there are sites that will email you the code).

I do sometimes miss the lower prices of the UK store, though the upside is that I can play games while also passing it off as studying.

Comment

Why can't you have both and mix and match, and do the 2 memory card trick?

Comment

I reason why a person can't, though it depends if it's really worth them buying a new memory card and going through the hassle of switching cards. It's easy, but it's annoying enough so that I prefer to just stick to one account for the most part.

Comment

Working...
                X