TRON bag, adventures with EL wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TRON bag, adventures with EL wire

After spotting this awesome project online i decided to give it a go myself. Always wanted to use EL wire on something & now was the time. After much soldering & sewing along with quite a few needle stick injuries i finally finished my bag, not only does it look awesome as hell when lit up, it also becomes a beacon for bag snatchers in the dark

Heres some pics as i constructed it.

Pretty proud of how it turned out.
    Last edited by importaku; 05-05-2013, 09:13.

Oh man, that looks so cool! I'd love some that wire around the door insides of my car or even in my games cupboard! It is hard stuff to use? I've never heard of it before.

Comment

El wire comes in many colours & you can also get it in flat tape form or in big flat shapes, to power it you need something called an inverter it steps up the voltage from a few volts to about 100v & it also ramps up the herts to about 2000 thats what makes it glow brightly. Depending on the model of inverter you buy they are designed to power a set length of wire, for example mine has 4 connectors on & can power 4 meters of wire but you can get ones that power even more. Usually when you buy the wire theres a connector on the end ready to plug right into an inverter, not sure on battery life yet but mines currently running on 4AAA batteries although my inverter has an input for a power supply if i want to connect it to non battery power. The wire has a lifespan of about 5000 hours before it drops to half brightness.

if you need to cut the wire as part of a design then it gets tricky but not too hard once you get the practice.

Heres a youtube tutorial on how you have to join el wire

you have to protect the end of the wire once cut with either a tiny rubber cap or a bit of heatshrink tubing as theres 100v running through it & it hurts like a bitch if you catch the live end.

aaaand thats pretty much it, the rest is left to whatever you want to use it on hehe,.

Comment

That's excellent. Great work! Our whole planet should be covered in that stuff.

Comment

That's really cool, excellent work!

I look forward to your full Tron suit pictures...

Comment

Comment

Good god Colin, I didn't recognise you at first

Comment

The worrying thing is, if importaku went down to just his 'tache, the tron dude would look just like him.

Comment

LOL bitch,

i'm actually fatter than him so i'd have the good decency not to dress in a super form fitting unitard. Never understod why people cosplay when it doesnt match their bodytype. Cannot unsee tronman.

Prefer the legacy look, looks so much better.
                  Last edited by importaku; 05-05-2013, 11:42.

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo View Post
                    Wow, that's a tight unitard!

I never knew Tron was Jewish...

Comment

I reckon importaku is related to Bob Symes.

Comment

Next project is these, tricky but do-able

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                          I reckon importaku is related to Bob Symes.
                          That's a blast from the past, remember his model making programme from the 70's.

Comment

The original post was awesome but has anyone noticed that coont Noel Edmonds has hijacked it this week and is somehow sucking the awesomeness away???

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                              The original post was awesome but has anyone noticed that coont Noel Edmonds has hijacked it this week and is somehow sucking the awesomeness away???
                              The context for this post is totally missing for me. Noel Edmonds has hijacked Tron?

Comment

Working...
                              X