Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shipping Containers, anyone in the know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping Containers, anyone in the know?

Hi all, this is probably a very strange question but have need to send a 40 foot shipping container from the UK. Does anyone know if ocean freight companies will take them if they've been expanded on? For instance, if the roof is taken off and is made taller?

I've googled and googled and sort of need an answer this weekend. Most companies only display the standard 20 and 40 foot ones but make no mention if they'll take ones that are modified.

Thanks if anyone can help in this odd request.

Why don't you ask a freighting company?
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Shipping containers are a standard size for a reason. Makes it easy to stack them on ship and easy to guess the maximum potential load. If you are lucky a freight company could agree to take it and stack it on the very top of a load.

Comment

I would ask a freighter but none are open at the weekend and sort of need an answer before Monday. I know you can request the top of the load, but unsure if their restrictions would still apply.

Comment

It depends really...have you bought the container you are modifying?
          Most Shipping Lines don't want their containers mucked about with in anyway shape or form as it means that re-using it is pretty much not possible.

You can get a few different types & to me it sounds like you would probably be looking at a 40' open top which can be sourced direct from a shipping line.

But I would definitely stay away from modifying any yourself as they really are limited & will cost you an arm and a leg to begin with (I think we recently sourced a container for a client & it was around the ?2k mark)

Neil

EDIT - Actually just had a quick look for you & Safmarine actually offer a 40' Open Top High Container which is taller than a standard 40' container at about 8' 8" high (standard is 7' ish)

Full specs are here....

Last edited by Soundwave; 11-05-2013, 21:37.

Comment

Working...
          X