Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

REALITY IS NOT WHAT YOU THINK IT IS

Mind blowing.

It's kinda what I thought it was. Good video mind!

Comment

Find out how you can control 90% of the wealth in America with this one weird old trick.

BE SUPER RICH

This video did not hold many revelations for me.

Comment

I prefer this one: http://www.upworthy.com/student-frea...system-3?c=fea

Comment

I was chatting to multi-millionaire a couple of weeks ago and he said that schools just turn us into drones who can't think of doing anything except working for someone else. Pretty much agree based on my schooling. The teachers were all enthusiastic and pretty good at what they did, but everything about the Prussian schooling system was stacked against them actually creating anything but drones.

Comment

That's exactly what it was designed to do. It was designed to fill large institutions, factories. You don't want thinkers or creatives in factories. You want replaceable cogs. Of course just about all the factories are now in China so unless you live in China that system of schooling is entirely redundant and killing our creativity. Those of us with kids know just how naturally creative young humans are. We don't have to teach it, we don't even have to nurture it. All we have to do is not kill it.

But here's the thing - the way things are right now is kind of broken but that's just a drop in the ocean compared to how broken it's going to get very shortly. So much of what we used to do that has value now has little to no value. Technology does replace people (and I kind of think it should - this should be a great concept). 3D printers are just the very beginning of the next phase that will effectively wipe out whole industries and devalue everything. As they get more capable and yet simpler, the world will need for little but raw materials (which of course we run the risk of running out of). Creation will also lose its value as selling becomes next to impossible. Creating the next great car will be a hobby, not a business.

And the result?

It all breaks. Every bit of it. The whole system. Until those poor, those in the middle and even those in a large section of the higher earners are all equal in having nothing. And then humanity will re-evaluate its systems for no other reason than it has no other choice and it is desperate. If we're all clever (we're not) we'll all get together and create a whole new system based on the assumption that we will all be replaced sooner or later, as will our children and their children. If we're not clever (we're really not), it's going to get bloody.

Enjoy your day everyone!

Comment

I liked school, and I don't feel like it turned me into a drone at all. So the feeling is not universal.

I am looking forward to 3D printers getting better though. I want to download a Maserati off usenet.

Originally posted by charlesr
              I was chatting to multi-millionaire a couple of weeks ago

Love this. What relevance does how much money he has have?

I was chatting to a bloke who didn't have 2 quid to rub together the other week and he said he thought the school system was rubbish as well.

Comment

I doubt he became a multi millionaire by being a faceless drone.

Comment

But you wouldn't take financial advice from a bloke who was broke would you? But you might take advice from a millionaire. You'd have to hope that he hadn't become a millionaire by scamming people who wanted advice on how to become a millionaire of course.

Comment

Maybe I'm wrong then.
                    Last edited by wakka; 13-05-2013, 16:52.

Comment

I think the difference is that he noticed what the flaws in his education were and filled the gaps with books of his own choosing. Like leadership skills, negotiating, goal setting. Kieran pointed out that this is starting to change and this stuff is now being taught a little bit, but it's stuff you need to learn early on. You can learn all about chemistry at any age because it's just a list of facts, but soft skills vary depending on who you are talking to, so the sooner you start thinking about and applying the concepts with as many people as possible, the more experience a person will get.

Additionally, the concepts vary depending on the teacher, so just having one teacher is no good - you need a whole raft of them to figure out what you like. A bit like trusting only one game reviewer and then realising they liked different stuff from you.

I'll happily listen to the broke guy if he's totally happy though, because that's another thing they tell you in school "you can only be happy with lots of money gained from working hard and good grades and hours of homework because otherwise, we'll make you feel like ****e in front of all your peers"
                      Last edited by charlesr; 13-05-2013, 19:04.

Comment

I do agree in some part, that school isn't for everyone (let alone university), and that the way schools operate can stifle and subdue more creative minds (which I suspect is part of the problem I had with lessons and learning in general). I continued with it because... that's how you have to be most of the time to get into the system and work your way up.

As for the video... to the very first statement, I made a guess, and I was quite close to the answer given... I said 90% to the top 20%...
                        Last edited by Mayhem; 14-05-2013, 00:14.
                        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I sacked off most of what school was trying to teach me and just did my own thing.

Comment

I think I'm the 'happy broke guy'. I'm not even that broke, in fact I'm not broke, really. I don't need *that* much, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                              I continued with it because... that's how you have to be most of the time to get into the system and work your way up.
                              Most of us really had to do this. And many of us come out creative. But it is in spite of school rather than because of it, which is a real shame. To give teachers the credit they deserve, I should point out that there are teachers out there who really make it their mission to keep kids creative, to keep them thinking but they too often have to fight the old outdated school system to do that. Those teachers are invaluable though and it's only as an adult, so many years later, that I truly realised the positive effect that a small few teachers had on my life.

I have nothing but absolute respect for good teachers.

Comment

Working...
                              X