Pointless Phone Upgrading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pointless Phone Upgrading?

Hello humans, i'm not having a go at the mobile phone industry here, i'm just having a personal meltdown/crisis of conscience.

My phone contract is currently something like ?27, Samsung Galaxy S2 with renewal up the end of this year. My current thinking is.....what's the point in getting an upgrade and continuing to shell out near ?30 a month, a ?10 giff gaff deal using my existing handset seems the sensible choice.

I could get an Xperia Z, HTC One, whatever high end handset with all the latest bells and whistles.....wait, what are those bells and whistles?

Do the current set of phones offer anything tangibly useful that the last gen don't?

I need to make calls, text, look at the internet and facebook and the odd YT video.

Do I need to swipe video from my phone to TV - no?

I'm just saying, before you go and get an upgrade think about the point in it, other than to have the latest flash gear, does it actually do anything worthwhile.

Or perhaps you can convince me otherwise.

If you're happy with your existing handset then switch to giffgaff. That simple.
    I specifically wanted a bigger screen (failing eyesight) and a replaceable battery (I use my phone in meetings etc. which means a drain a normal phone before the day is out) so I upgraded and trapped myself into another 2 year contract but otherwise I'd have done what you're contemplating.

Comment

I'm in the same boat.

Have a perfectly serviceable S2 which is fine my contract is up next month but nothing out there seems a big enough leap forward to warrant an immediate upgrade.

A colleague at work has an S4 which is nice but has a ton of crap I doubt I'll ever notice (Pictures with Sound??? Screen that scrolls with your eyes???) so that's not a must

Reckon I'll go onto something like Giff Gaff myself & then hold out till the iPhone 6 & see if that feels like a worthy upgrade & start again then.

Neil

Comment

I've put myself in the position now that I can only ever upgrade to whatever new Note model Samsung make. I can't go back to a phone without a huge screen and a pen!

Comment

I'm am idiot (I know) I buy the new iphone the day it comes out. Spent too much on iTunes so I'm trapped in that web

Comment

I went from a Galaxy S to a Galaxy Note. Never again do I think they'll make a 16:10 smartphone so I'm more than happy with this.

Comment

Same boat here too, only a couple of months away from my S2 contract ending and unsure what to do.

The phone still feels pretty current tech as the rate of pre
              ogression has definitely become incremental. I was set for the S4 but the benefits don't feel big enough over my current phone and the iPhone series is out because they feel epically regressive to use compared to the Galaxy series.

Depending on how it turns out I might end up opting for the Note 3 at the end of the year for the bigger screen and future proofing of 4G support but I can see it being the last upgrade I do and keeping that phone for many years unless there's a revolution in phone design.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                My phone contract is currently something like ?27, Samsung Galaxy S2 with renewal up the end of this year. My current thinking is.....what's the point in getting an upgrade and continuing to shell out near ?30 a month, a ?10 giff gaff deal using my existing handset seems the sensible choice.
                Pretty much exactly what I did. I bought an iPhone 4 almost three years ago on a ?29 per month contract to avoid paying for it all up front. Contract ran out last year and I switched to a ?10 per month 1 month contract on Three.

I won't be changing phone until: there's an app I really want that my current phone can't handle, there's a feature on a new phone that I would make genuine use of, or my current phone breaks.

Comment

I've not bothered updating my iPhone 4S - I bought it sim free as I don't want to be locked into a contract - currently on GiffGaff for ?12 per month - may update to the next iPhone though there's nothing wrong with the 4S for me.

It's a bit like my 6 year old Macbook - it's still great (after a nice SDD upgrade) I'll probably keep it until I can no longer get Lightroom working on it.

Comment

Welcome to consumerism. Technology that entices you to buy, and other tech that replaces you in the workplace. Joy.

I'm still on my LG Optimus with a custom ROM. Its major fault is its puny memory so I can't cram many apps on it. Android has a knack for placing the executable on internal memory.

What I find fascinating is that even with the prevalence of the smartphone misnomer, people are as dumb as they were in 10000BC, if not more so.

Comment

The S2 was quite snazzy in its day so its still perfectly usable, the only problem i'm really having is updates of apps failing because i've run out of internal space (1.7gb or so), even though i've deleted or stopped all unused core apps and moved everything possible to SD/USB storage, issue still persists.

Comment

Sorry to go off topic but I see a few of you use Giff Gaff whats the signal like?

Comment

giff gaff use the O2 network i think so should be good.

my contract ran out a few months back, was ?26 a month, no i just have an O2 monthly rolling one at ?10.84 of something which gives me more that what my contract did, so will just use that till the phone dies.

Comment

I've been using giffgaff for a few months now and the signal is decent enough. I'm tending to use the ?15 goody bag which doesn't offer me much more compared to Tesco doing their current deal of ?10 a month with 500 minutes, 5000 texts and 2GB of data.

Both use O2 so should have comparable performance.

Comment

makes sense to switch over mate.

I have a monthly 4G contract with EE @ ?21 but I need the minutes and data on that tariff, course as its not a contract per-se I can change when I like.

I also have a HTC One, but I change my handset every few months - I'm weird that way...

Comment

Working...
                              X