Messing with chargers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Messing with chargers

Now that Blackberry and Apple (fruity) both use adapters that go from a USB cable into the power plug (3 pin UK) what would happen if I plugged an Apple product in via a Blackberry 3 pin plug.

Will the world end?

Has anyone tried this?

Just check the mAh are similar and you should be fine.

Comment

RIP Blair.

Comment

It works fine. They're the same. It doesn't matter if you're black or white, as MJ said.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

And it appears that it does work fine, apart from the fact my crappy 99 cable won't charge my iPad.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
            Just check the mAh are similar and you should be fine.
            USB spec is 5v @ 500 mAh. Both devices will simply draw what they need.

So yes, you'll be absolutely fine. Any USB device can be charged using one of those adapters just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsThere View Post
              And it appears that it does work fine, apart from the fact my crappy 99 cable won't charge my iPad.
              Think some of these 99p Shop cables are data only, not meant for charging purposes? I could be talking c'rap though, never did enjoy Science & Technology at school.....

Comment

The iPhone charger is 5v 1amp so 5 watts. The old iPad charger was 10w and the newer iPad charger is 12w. Using your phone charger will mean it takes twice as long as normal to charge your iPad.
                Not a good idea to use an iPad charger to charge any other devices. It's output is too hard on the battery and could dry it out. Which will shorten its useful life.

Comment

Some interesting points here! The crappy 99p charger charges my phone (4S) but not my iPad (third gen).

I have no explanation as to why.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                    The iPhone charger is 5v 1amp so 5 watts. The old iPad charger was 10w and the newer iPad charger is 12w. Using your phone charger will mean it takes twice as long as normal to charge your iPad.
                    Not a good idea to use an iPad charger to charge any other devices. It's output is too hard on the battery and could dry it out. Which will shorten its useful life.
                    Wouldn't that be because the regular USB charger can only provide half the amperage? Makes more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsThere
                      Some interesting points here! The crappy 99p charger charges my phone (4S) but not my iPad (third gen).

The iPad (any iPad) ships with a special 10w USB adapter which charges it quickly, and will charge very slowly or not at all on other chargers or PCs. God the amount of times I've had to tell friends this when they complain that their iPad is 'so old' that it 'charges really slowly'.

Comment

A battery will draw what it needs to charge and is normally limited by the charger.
                        Most newer devices use Lithium Polymer (LiPo) batteries which can be charged at many times what a 'trickle' charger can supply even the iPad ones if done correctly.

Not like this

Last edited by smouty; 12-06-2013, 13:58.

Comment

Yes, always a bit scared about strapping a lithium battery pack to my head (running head torch with daftly powerful batteries in).

Comment

Working...
                          X