Lost Job while having a Sick Note

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Job while having a Sick Note

In April I had some surgery for a detached Retina in my left eye and was told by the hospital I'd be off work for a few months. When I received a wage slip yesterday it came with a P45 that stated my final working date was 15/05/13, I had no idea this was coming and have been covered by a doctor's note this whole time, the note was valid on the 15th. I've had no phone calls, and nothing in writing stating I was going to lose my job, I was within a six month probationary period. Are they allowed to do this? I'm also worried about income, since I'm still partially blind, I struggle to use a PC with a bright background, and am due another round of surgery soon (my employer was aware of the next surgery).

I think something must cover employers/agencies in cases of sick time when it comes to probation periods sadly. A few people at my job who get employed by adecco on a 6 month probation period got the sack for spending time in hospital, despite them being provided with phone calls on a daily basis. You're not employed through an agency are you?

Comment

Think you need to speak to someone more qualified than any of us on here, that's a truly ****ty thing for your employer to do especially without warning. Maybe speak to citizens advice, your employer surely has to give some form of warning/notice.

Comment

Nope, no agency involved, work directly for the business.

Comment

Originally posted by Rep View Post
          Nope, no agency involved, work directly for the business.
          If you were on a probation period then they can just let you go like that once your probation period ends, they are not renewing your contract so they are not technically sacking you, so they dont need to give you any notice. By the sounds of it thats what they have done, paid your sick pay until your contract was up and decided not to keep you. Its a very ****ty thing to have done, not even having the courtesy to let you know by phone, but companies do it all the time nowadays sadly.

Best thing to do is call citizens advice and see if there is anything you can do, although I doubt it. More importantly what you need to do is sign yourself up for disability allowance, especially if youve got another op soon and your symptoms prevent you from getting another job. If you cant then sign up for jobseekers allowance. Do that as soon as you can as the paperwork and red tape take a while to process.

Good luck either way, hope you manage to sort something out.

Comment

Really ****ty of them but you probably have very little recourse it usually takes a couple of years to get any protection. Are you in a union? Otherwise seek advice? Maybe you can pursude them to turn it in to a sabbatical / career break. (Its inexcusable but these days companies dont care from their side you are new to the job, a few months in and all of a sudden you now will be off for 2 periods of many months, they dont care that its a health reason hence the P45, ****ty but not surprising) How many months in to your probation were you? For benefits you will be claiming ESA call job seeker direct for a firm you might qualify for disability temporarily
            Last edited by ETC; 16-06-2013, 19:13.

Comment

Two months in, the doctors tell me recovery period for next surgery is a lot less, which I informed work about. I offered to work from home last month, (my role would have allowed this) or a phased return, but they just told me to get better. I even took a new note in 2 weeks ago, which I doubt I'll be able to get back now. Strange they never questioned why I was handing one in though.

My biggest concern right now is finding another job, I'm in a poor position in that I'm not allowed to drive with one eye and can't apply for other roles. I'll be sure to have a look at ESA, my partner earns ?30k+ would this be an issue? Thank you.

Comment

Two months in, the doctors tell me recovery period for next surgery is a lot less, which I informed work about. I offered to work from home last month, (my role would have allowed this) or a phased return, but they just told me to get better. I even took a new note in 2 weeks ago, which I doubt I'll be able to get back now. Strange they never questioned why I was handing one in though.

My biggest concern right now is finding another job, I'm in a poor position in that I'm not allowed to drive with one eye and can't apply for other roles. I'll be sure to have a look at ESA, my partner earns ?30k+ would this be an issue? Thank you.
                Contribution based you will get (depending on how much tax/NI you have paid in the last 12months I believe) if you live with her income based may be an issue.
                I would get my contract checked a lot of places can get rid with no notice on probation but some protect the employee by saying they must have a certain period of probation (this is much less common) I would get my contract checked, either way they should let you know the reasons why (I will guess you will get a fairly generic reply mind. Did you send your fit note to HR direct and not just your line manager (this of course depends on the company size)

Comment

Well I rang H.R and they don't seem to know what's going on, they'll "get back to me", whole thing is a nightmare My contract states I need to be given a weeks notice or in lieu a payment, which I seem to have received (pittance if it is). this seems to be regardless of probation. I handed my sick note direct to H.R, first time they took a photocopy, for my second note (June~August) they took the note from me.
                  Last edited by Rep; 17-06-2013, 10:53.

Comment

Well I rang H.R and they don't seem to know what's going on, they'll "get back to me", whole thing is a nightmare My contract states I need to be given a weeks notice or in lieu a payment, which I seem to have received (pittance if it is). this seems to be regardless of probation. I handed my sick note direct to H.R, first time they took a photocopy, for my second note (June~August) they took the note from me.
                    I'm guessing your response will be your fit note takes you to six months

Comment

Finally got a response in writing today, "Dismissed on the grounds of capability" it also states I owe them ?795 for receiving a full salary in April Feel physically sick.

Comment

Utterly disgusting.

I'd be going crazy.

Fight this mate.

Comment

My C.A.B is closed Wednesday's, so will have to wait till tomorrow for advice, feel horrible.

Comment

Sat down and tried to work out a few things, the letter they've sent me is completely bogus, it states "Further to your meeting on Tuesday 14th", this date is completely false, I did have a chat with work but that wasn't until Wednesday 22nd, I was at the Hospital on Tuesday 21st, the information they're referencing I didn't even know yet. In addition it states "your last day of employment was Wednesday 15th May". This would appear to be 24 hours notice, not one week. Also have a text message timestamped Thursday 23rd from a college stating "Was good to see you yesterday".

It was never even implied I would lose my job during my visit to work, the dates on the letter are completely wrong.
                            Last edited by Rep; 19-06-2013, 18:00.

Comment

Sounds like someone wanted you gone. If its inaccurate fight it just dont expect to get your job back likewise fight the overpayment their problem not yours

Comment

Working...
                              X