Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS2 online versus xbox live

Hello,

I had a few mates round last night for a games sesh, and during the night I demonstrated xbox live to them.

since seeing it a couple of them have expressed interest in going online, but only have PS2's. They were wondering what the Ps2 service is like vs. xbox live and asked me.

I replied I didn't know as I'm not too familiar with the PS2's service but I knew a bunch of friendly chaps who probably would know.

So post your impressions please. Comparable to xbox live what the Ps2 online like?

How does the payment system work?
    Can you see others on your friends list playing online in other games?

"Help me NTSC forum ............. you're my only hope"

Thanks in advance

Well as a rule Xbox live is much better.

No set friends lists on PS2 like on live. Payment is one off so far just need to buy the hardware to get online - from that point on its down to the game publisher to make you pay or not - so far none i use are charged.

The actual setup is very easy and similar to live, however my retail copy of Firewarrior has problems with my router (where beta version did not) i have had no issues with any Live game or other PS2 online game.

Tell em to buy a xbox !

Comment

Sure MS have a nice Live! thing going on, but it's the games that matter.

GT4, REutbreak, Front Mission Online, Monster Hunter, Ambrosia Oddysey, FFXI, Armored Core, and many more

VS.

what?

I'm looking forward to Tekki Online, but what else is there? PGR2?

Comment

Originally posted by Razz
        Halo 2, True Fantasy Online, Operation Flashpoint, Counter Strike, Amped 2, Chrome Hounds. They both have potentially excellent forthcoming titles.

There's no doubt that Live is a better service, but it costs ?40 a year. Yer pays yer money.....

Comment

Costs

Xbox Live - ?40 for kit (headphone kit plus start up disk, 2 demos) plus ?40 per year subscription charge

PS2 - ?30 for Network Adapter - headphone kit either comes with Socom game (?40 iirc) or you can buy any usb headphone kit from pc retailers. Subscription fees depending on game

Ease of Use

Xbox Live - simple to set up, friends list which is universal for all Live games, ability to invite across different games

PS2 - easy to set up once you have the NA installed (2 minute job), individual friends lists per games, no ability to invite across different games

Games

Xbox - 20+ games available ranging from racers to fps to 2d fighting games

PS2 - not as big a range available at the moment but some big titles planned (PAL users are suffering since EA titles are getting online support removed)

The Future

Xbox - Halo2, Amped 2, PGR2, Top Spin, Counter Strike, TFLO, Crimson Skies - all planned for release within the next 6 months

PS2 - not sure about the next 6 months

Comment

I prefer xbox live to PS2 online. The whole system is far more stable user friendly and easier to use.

plus Halo 2 and the possibilty of pes3 online says it all for me...

Comment

Originally posted by Brats
              Halo 2, True Fantasy Online, Operation Flashpoint, Counter Strike, Amped 2, Chrome Hounds. They both have potentially excellent forthcoming titles.

There's no doubt that Live is a better service, but it costs ?40 a year. Yer pays yer money.....
              Sorry I think CounterStrike is available on the PC, with a keyboard and mouse.

Thanks for the reminder, TFLO is looking cool, though the last impressions I heard from it said that it needed improvements, though I'd still end up buying it. Though I'm pretty sure it won't be a patch on FFXI or Nobunaga.

I think anyone serious about their online gaming (like I) would get both, but I'll still go by the fact that PS2 has better online games in the works (on paper atleast).

Comment

i like ps2 online but it does need the hard disc to be released so they could offer mini movies and stuff to download

Comment

Looking at it purely from a interface side of things. Xbox live wins by a mile.

Looking at it from a games perspective, then Xbox live still wins by a mile. There is barely anything out on the PS2 compared to the Xbox. I aint saying that will hold true in 6 months, but for the moment it is fact.

One thing Sony can be congratulated for, is putting their own servers online, which is something MS really need to get sorted :/

Comment

Sure MS have a nice Live! thing going on, but it's the games that matter.

GT4, REutbreak, Front Mission Online, Monster Hunter, Ambrosia Oddysey, FFXI, Armored Core, and many more
                    I realise now why i have Xb Live and haven't bother with ps2 online.

Comment

Sorry I think CounterStrike is available on the PC, with a keyboard and mouse.
                      Sure, but as this was question about comparing the PS2 to XBox it's still relevant.

Oh and I forgot about DOA Online too. It may not be as good as VF4 Evo, but the DOA series are still quality fighters and what Tecmo are doing with this looks fantastic.

Comment

If this had been posted a few months back I wouldnt be the landslide it is at the moment.

Xbox LIVE wins by a mile. Not only have they just upgraded the whole interface and made it alot more user friendly but as well as that, after a major dry spell, alot of decent titles are going to arrive in time for xmas.

My picks are definitely :-

Crimson Skies
                        Rainbow Six 3
                        Project Gotham Racing 2
                        Top Spin
                        Amped 2
                        Links 2004
                        XIII
                        CounterStrike
                        ESPN NFL Football
                        ESPN NHL Hockey
                        Tetris (c'mon its tetris)

All of those should be out by the end of the year which makes for a pretty diverse line-up of titles online, something the xbox has been lacking up until now... in comparison the PS2 is still lacking, particularly in PAL regions.

Comment

There is no question as to which service is better and which service has the better games. Xbox Live. It has so many cool features it's unbelievable and so many developers are using to now too, I think I'm gonna get Xbox Live just got Halo 2 when it's out cos man will that rock!

Comment

If the PS2 had a better or at least decent online system then I would say so. Live is 95% perfect and has loads of great titles coming soon.

Get Live because Sony won`t deliver the real deal until the PS3.

Comment

One thing to look forward to with the PS2 online service is the exclusivity agreement for all the EA sports games

Seriously though, I reckon Sony will produce the goods with the PS3 online service.

Comment

Working...
                              X