Phone for a 10 year old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phone for a 10 year old?

My son's a Type 1 diabetic and is going up to the 'big' school in September so I'd like to get him a mobile that I can easily contact him on (and vice versa). It'll be PAYG and I'd like to strike that balance between something that's relatively cool but not ridiculously expensive/easily breakable.

Doesn't have to be a smartphone.

I'm not really up on phones (I'm still on a iphone 3GS) so any recommendations would be good. He's a good boy and careful with his stuff if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by Wil; 10-07-2013, 10:17. Reason: Edited for rubbish spelling

A BlackBerry of some kind would probably be best I think. ALL the kids have them, so it won't stand out as something they want to steal from him. You can get good PAYG deals from supermarkets:

Last edited by J0e Musashi; 10-07-2013, 10:17.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

BlackBerries are popular with kids? Really? I've always thought that BBs were thought for enterprises and nowadays ignored for other platforms even by them.

Comment

The BlackBerry install base is actually still strong, with an active install base of 79 million prior to the launch of BB10 at the start of this year. That's only a drop of 1 million over the previous two years despite the delays and the fact that they had no real product launches in 2012. Joe's right a lot of teenagers use BlackBerry for the messaging service. Since the launch of the Z10 and Q10, which came out the gate to strong sales, analysts generally predict a growth of several million over the first quarter of this year.

If you do go for a BlackBerry the Q5 has just come out to some pretty solid reviews and is the budget end of the new BB10 lineup.

Comment

It's the BBM service that they all go for. I offered my boy an iPhone, but he said he didn't want to be left out, so we opted for the BB 9360.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Yeah my 12 year old sister has a blackberry. BBM is free I assume?

Comment

BBM (with internet data included) used to be a fiver a month back in the day when I had to pay for my daughters phone and bits.

Wil, Argos sell a load of Blackberry look-a-like phones for around ?50, don't know what they're like, just see them there when waiting to collect something.

Comment

Noka 3310 ftw of course.

Comment

BBM will be rolling out to iOS and android this year, no time scale but it will be happening.

Comment

Working...
                  X