Using a Japanese phone in the UK - advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a Japanese phone in the UK - advice

Just wanted to check a few things with people, because I'm really not very phone-savvy!

I'm currently in the UK for 6 weeks visiting family. Surprisingly, my Japanese phone (using Softbank) works in the UK, automatically connecting to Vodafone. Now, I'm aware that calling and messaging using this is going to be expensive, but this is nice for if people need to call me.

If I disable data roaming and simply passively connect to Vodafone in case people need to contact me, would this incur a cost? I can use Wifi for most things while I am here.

It shouldn't but I've not tried it so don't really know.

Comment

Seems most of the replies you're getting on FB are missing the point

Comment

If you disable data roaming, you shouldn't get charged for it - however you may incur charges if you receive texts or phone calls, which obviously you have no control over.

More importantly can you still watch TV on it

Comment

You'll be charged if somebody phones you. The best thing is to get them to send a text message, and then you call them back.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

You can still be charged for receiving text messages.

Comment

It's much less than a phone call though.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

If it's anything like using a UK vodafone abroad, it's very costly to either make or receive calls and to send texts, but receiving texts is free. You need to check this on your carrier's website though.

I suggest telling everyone to skype you or facetime or googlehangout or whatever.

Comment

Working...
                X