Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming for property damage?

Right.

I was cycling home from work about an hour ago and on an unlit main road, there was a guy who had got wasted and come off his bike. I didn't see him until too late and hit his bike, which resulted in me also in a heap on the floor. I did have lights, but only enough to see a little in front of me. Basically the minimum requirement for riding at night.

However, this has twisted my front wheel. I need my bike due to the location of my job and also the hours I work. I'm skint until payday now and need my bike fixed. Should I make the dickhead pay for the damage? Is there any legal responsibility on his part for the damage? How could I claim?

Any advice would be great!

I don't think so. You should've been looking where you were going
    Whether he'd been drinking or not he was already on the floor when you got there which if it had happened in other circumstances such as he'd been hit by a car or hit a deer then would you be asking the same question?
    If you were a car and had hit him would you be claiming for not seeing him?

If you have his details he may be willing to cover your repair bills though as it is still an offence to be drunk in charge of a bicycle - http://ukcyclerules.com/2010/09/21/c...been-drinking/
    Last edited by smouty; 21-08-2013, 07:02.

Comment

How do you know who is he to claim from?

Comment

Get jogging.

Comment

Unless you called the police I should think he'll do sod all and you can do sod all no matter whose fault it was.

Comment

I've got a comedy image in my mind of some bloke lying pissed in a crumpled heap of bars and tyres, while FammyDoDd approaches in the darkness, whistling Barbie Girl by Aqua, squinting to see further than the three inches the birthday cake candle strapped to his handlebar gives him.

Comment

Post of the day there PS, made me chuckle while eating my lunch

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
                I don't think so. You should've been looking where you were going
                Whether he'd been drinking or not he was already on the floor when you got there which if it had happened in other circumstances such as he'd been hit by a car or hit a deer then would you be asking the same question?
                If you were a car and had hit him would you be claiming for not seeing him?

If you have his details he may be willing to cover your repair bills though as it is still an offence to be drunk in charge of a bicycle - http://ukcyclerules.com/2010/09/21/c...been-drinking/
                To be honest, and people may think this is a bit cuntish, but it would have served him right if he got hit by a car. Pissed up and no lights at 1am? Deserved to get hit.

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                How do you know who is he to claim from?
                I'm not stupid. I listened to the police & ambulance people. I now know his name is Joel and he lives near the church a couple of villages away from me.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyJuggleDX View Post
                  I'm not stupid.
                  *tumbleweed*

You never mentioned the police and ambulance earlier.

Comment

Gonna make him pay for repairs, else he won't get his bike back!

Comment

Is he the bloke you befriended on Facebook?

Comment

Seeing as I regularly ride my bike home totally wasted from the bar, I really can't judge the guy.

Comment

Even though it was nearly 15 years I still remember the night I cycled into a block of flats. I had been out drinking, was wearing shades and lisenting to my walkman thinking I was cool as ice. Then the pavement dropped and I hit the corner of flats with a glancing blow. I remember slamming the floor and the pain was immense, I was cut to ribbons.
                          Guns 'N' Roses was the music on my walkman.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                            Is he the bloke you befriended on Facebook?
                            Nope. I have no idea who that is. I don't even remember sending a request!

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                              I've got a comedy image in my mind of some bloke lying pissed in a crumpled heap of bars and tyres, while FammyDoDd approaches in the darkness, whistling Barbie Girl by Aqua, squinting to see further than the three inches the birthday cake candle strapped to his handlebar gives him.

Comment

Working...
                              X