Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N64 internal fuse - where the hell is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N64 internal fuse - where the hell is it?

Boredom set in the other night so I opened up my JAP N64 to try an alternate RGB Amp in it. While testing, I only went and plugged the RAM pack in the wrong way round and switched the machine on . Well, it just died straight away so I assume it blew the power fuse??

I remember doing the exact same thing on a US SNES about 10 years ago with a game PCB plugged in the wrong way round. I fixed it by replacing the fuse with a generic one. The fuse in the SNES was easily identifiable but I've been over the N64 with a flipping magnifying glass and I still can't identify it .

Any ideas from MD or Saurian would be welcome.

I don't remember the N64 having a internal fuse (although I could be wrong and saurian would correct me on this).

However the N64 won't work without the Memory Pak,so if you've buggered it (by plugging it the wrong way) then your not going to get your N64 to work. Try borrowing a friends to see if that makes your N64 go.

Comment

Originally posted by MD
      I don't remember the N64 having a internal fuse (although I could be wrong and saurian would correct me on this).
      You could be right because I definately can't find one. However there must be some kind of cut-off protection in there that could be replaced. The machine died immediately upon switch-on which would suggest a fuse type mechanism. The external PSU still works fine so the problem is not with that.

However the N64 won't work without the Memory Pak,so if you've buggered it (by plugging it the wrong way) then your not going to get your N64 to work. Try borrowing a friends to see if that makes your N64 go.
      That's just it, the Ram pack still works fine because I'm using it in another N64 which I have. The busted N64 had a much better RGB image though and even using the same RGB Amp circuit in my other N64 doesn't give as good a pic. I suppose it's possible the RAM pack connector on the PCB is buggered.

Comment

Working...
      X