Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Import GC questions (NTSC-U)

Hi guys,

So I've just digged out my NTSC-U GC for a good old gaming sesh and I need to re buy certain games and cables...

So the first Q is, I have a step down converter for it but alas - my power cable is missing, after doing some research online I read that apparently you can just use a PAL PSU for a NTSC-U machine, can anyone verify that? Surely that would really damage the GC?!

The other question is that I'm looking to get a AV cable but I also read that that can be a problem when it comes to output of sound and colour using an AV cable in a NTSC-U machine? Is that true? If so what are the alternatives? I'd ideally like to get hold of a modded cable for better output... is it possible to get hold of a modded cable which could upscale the output to HD?

Lastly, are there any decent websites out there which sell NTSC-U GC games and cables etc at decent prices based in the UK?

Thanks for all your help!

DA

- Yes, you can just use a PAL PSU for any Cube. NO need for transformers.
    - Upscaling? I just use a modded Saurian component (I think).
    - NTSC-U stuff - games-wise I just picked them up from here or AVF.

Comment

Will it damage the machine if I use the transformer and do you know where I could get hold of a Saurian modded cable? I know he hasn't been doing that sort of stuff for years right? Thanks for the help.

Comment

A Saurian-modded component cable is an RGB Scart cable. You'd be better off with a straight component cable if you're using a HD panel.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

You don't need Saurian to make one. I made one a while back using a GC D-Terminal cable I picked up off of eBay, an official composite cable and a male SCART plug. Basically taps RGB from the digital out and utilises the DAC in the plug end to grab RGB from the console as NTSC machines don't output RGB on the AV multi port.

For 480p you want a component cable, or a D-Terminal cable that has been modded (may work out cheaper in some cases).

A PSU takes the voltage of the reason and converts it to voltages the console will use. So no, using a PAL PSU won't damage the NTSC Cube, it has the same voltage at the console connection end after all. This is true universally. You could still use your US PSU in a stepdown if you want but there really is no need.

Comment

http://www.videogameimports.com/ still have some. I guess here and ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post

For 480p you want a component cable, or a D-Terminal cable that has been modded (may work out cheaper in some cases).
              So will this do?

Cheers

Comment

Um, no. You need a component or d-terminal cable. This can easily run up 50-100 pounds. It's part of the reason I stuck to PAL60 with my recent GC buys.

Comment

Yes, using a UK power supply on the US Cube is fine, that's what I used to use here.

Second, check that your Cube is old enough to have the digital port on the back of the machine. I'm guessing it does, but Nintendo removed it towards the end of the Cube's life. Assuming it does have the port, as stated, you can either use a modded RGB cable a la Saurian, or a proper component cable. The latter is now quite hard to find, hence the price as SpeedLolita mentions!

This, btw, just provides the video. You still need the bog-standard Nintendo white and red AV leads to provide the stereo sound on top.

Can't help with sourcing games, although I have a few spare US titles here, but doubtful anything you're after heh...
                  Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

As others have noted, GameCube component cables are a tad pricey these days.

Do you have a Wii? Might just be cheaper to softmod a Wii to be region free.

Comment

Someone really needs to reverse engineer that DAC.

Comment

I found this cable on consolegoods.co.uk seems like a good site to buy modded cables etc.

After reading everyone's advice I decided to get this, will this do the trick?

It's a SNES/SFC/N64/Gamecube AV S-Video cable for NTSC machines.

The GC was a launch machine Mayhem so it does have a digital port on the back... also check out my thread in the wanted section regarding what games I'm trying to track down... it's a bit of a list! Cheers dude,

If the cable doesn't do it then I think your right, just going to have to give up on the GC dream and track down a soft modded PAL Wii...

Thanks for everyone's help so far!
                        Last edited by darkangel; 09-01-2014, 16:40.

Comment

Yeah that will work. You won't be getting the best possible picture quality though.

Use the S-Video part of the lead rather than the composite part though.

Comment

Excellent! As long as I can get my gamecube up and running again, I'm not overly fussed about getting the best possible picture quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
                              As others have noted, GameCube component cables are a tad pricey these days.

Do you have a Wii? Might just be cheaper to softmod a Wii to be region free.
                              I agree, it seems a bit pointless getting and ntsc cube running when there are so many hurdles and soft modded wiis are dirt cheap.

Comment

Working...
                              X