HDTV in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDTV in the UK

I've been thinking about upgrading my tv for a while now and I'm really keen on getting one that supports progressive scan. I've tried digging certain info up from manufacturers sites and various guides but I can't seem to find what I'm after or I end up swamped in info that just confuses me.

What I want to know is are there any CRT tvs available in the UK that support progressive scan modes 'above' the usual 480p? The Toshiba and Panasonic models seems to be the ones that people recommend the most but I can't seem to find out if they support 720p.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

No

get yourself a projector if you want to handle decent resolutions, and just keep your old tv for eastenders and the like.

there is a satellite service being launched in Europe that is going to be braodcasting in 1080i next year, when, or if, it starts we might start to see some decent quality sets released over here.

I really cant see the point of buying another tv until hi-def sets are released, I will stick with my CRT projector, zelda in progressive on a 6ft widescreen cant be beat by any normal tv (well tony hawk 4 @ 720p isn't bad), and until plasmas are made in proper sizes at a decent price there isnt a lot of choice

you can get a decent projector for under a grand ?150 for the screen and you're away.

Comment

The UK Government in their infinite wisdom decided that the way forward for TV is Digital via aerial (the alternative was HDTV). Thus they got manufacturers to promote digital TV at normal resolutions rather than higher resolutions. Then digital TV died. Ooops. (Hope I got that right).

Comment

Sounds about right.

Going OT a bit here (sorry), but I've always maintained that we won't see decent (ie good and reasonably priced) HDTV sets go mainstream until Murdoch starts pumping out HDTV via Sky. A lot of his stuff is w/s, more and more stuff is getting the 5.1 treatment... stands to reason that if anyone is going to spearhead it, it's going to be him and the loyal minions who turf out a king's ransom each month to watch the simpsons 24/7.

<--

Comment

Firstly your only options for HDTV CRT set in the UK are Loewe an Toshiba. Look for component or VGA in.

Other options are a projector as noted or a plasma or LCD screen. I've got plasma and HDTV modes look outstanding. Again ensure you have component or VGA in. Look for support for HDTV modes:

480i 480p 576p 720p 1080i

Regarding HDTV the rest of you chap are slightly out of date:

BBC has commited to delivering HDTV content in the near future
          as has already started to record with HDTV resolutions. When the broadcasts starts still isn't clear but they have commited to it.

Also have a look at this:

Regards,
          Neil.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I don't suppose there is a particular Loewe model you would recommend Neil? I tried looking at the site (www.loewe.de) but I can't for the life of me find out which ones support which modes.

Comment

Neil

you sure the Loewe and tosh sets do above line doubled ??

i thought that they just did 480/576p and wouldnt entertain 720/960p or 1080i.

G

Comment

Originally posted by gIzzE
                Neil

you sure the Loewe and tosh sets do above line doubled ??

i thought that they just did 480/576p and wouldnt entertain 720/960p or 1080i.

G
                No I'm not, they atleast do 480p. Any of the other modes I'd check before buying.

Regards,
                Neil.

Comment

There's a panasonic 32" model TX32ph40 that supports pal & NTSC prog scan as well, (useful if you've got a pal prog scan compatible dvd player). Goes for a shade under ?900 on most online retailers. (The tosh ones only support NTSC prog although don't think either support high defn.) Looks better (IMO) than the toshiba and lot cheaper than Loewe..
                  Cheers

Comment

This JVC set does ntsc/pal progscan. Also boosts a normal pal signal to 1250 resolution and ntsc to 1500i res. I have heard great things about this set, the picture is said to be amazing. Best price I have found is ?1165 which is a bargain considering the ?1500 list price.

Comment

I would avoid the panasonic if it is the PH40 you are talking about.

I have had 3 sets in my house and they are all pretty poor, when using progressive there was lines across the right hand side of the screen and you could not get rid of them, a call to panasonic and the engineer said it was problem with the tube they used and there is no fix

I got the set at a great price but I went back to my philips in the end, no component not even a completey flat screen but the picture trounces the panny, and it is now been out for 5 years.

Comment

Any other xbox games that actually support higher defs?

Comment

I have a 32 wide Toshiba with component inputs, US Gamecube and a component lead. It does NOT support prog scan (the screen goes blank when you try). I didnt realise this until i got the lead, but never less the picture is a lot better than the s video i was running before.

Comment

Some of the first batch of the panny PD30 had the same problem with a white line down the screen, this is fixable by going into the service menu, see avforums for details (I didn't have the problem with my set).

In theory the PD30 can support 720p and 1080i and the UK set is nearly identical to the Japanese/US set that supports the higher resolutions, in fact the tube is imported from Japan, not heard that anybody has successfully chipped the UK set yet

Off the top of my head Xbox games that support 720p are:

Soul Calibur II (I think this is only 4:3?)
                            Steel Batalion Line of Contact
                            Dragons Layer (I think this *might* support 1080i, but I ain't sure)

a quick google will sort you out for the rest.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X