X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facebook to buy WhatsApp for $16 billion

Yeah, you read that right:

Firstly, that's clearly a lot of money.

Secondly, it pisses me off, because I despise Facebook and would really prefer Zuckerberg DIDN'T get his mitts on WhatsApp, as it's a good service and one I use. Doubtless next week they'll introduce adverts, then they'll want to know everything about you so the ads can be more targeted, and then we're on the slippery slope to them harvesting your details en masse to be packaged and sold.

WhatsApp is an alternative way of doing text messaging. I don't want it to have a ****ing wall, or feed, or status updates, or some way to hardwire it into other social networks. I just want what it is, and I've paid for the priviledge (the app isn't free).

FFS Facebook; your own messaging service on mobiles has been a failure, don't **** up other people's.
    Last edited by Asura; 19-02-2014, 22:48.

Wow Angry!

They bought instagram and I don't think that has ads yet

Comment

$16BN he really has more money than sense. Don't get me wrong it's a great app I use each week, but really, $16BN.

Least it should take them at least a few months to mess it up.

Comment

I love Whatsapp but hate FB. I can just see us being force fed FB now.

Comment

Gave up on Facebook a good long while ago, seems like a new social site or app hits it big every year all whilst being the same thing Facebook covered years back. Seems like as FB is struggling to adapt thecsolution has been taken to buy the competition, all great assuming social networking maintains its momentum for the next 10-15yrs. Not sure it will, emerging markets contribute heavily against weary old users but that's a finite source. Social media certainly won't die but I'd much rather sell up and liverich rather than sink billions into already running trends.

Comment

What's whatsapp for? I installed it but it seems to require my friends to be on it too. Why not just use text messages or email? Confused.

Comment

I think it was a web-based way to text and stuff. Now it's on phones. So now, you can text from your phone...

They should've bought Ridiculous Fishing instead!

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                What's whatsapp for? I installed it but it seems to require my friends to be on it too. Why not just use text messages or email? Confused.
                It's so you can message and talk to people for free, even if they are on a different network. It just uses your data, so it's especially useful if you have unlimited data rates etc. There are a couple of similar apps, each with their own advantages and disadvantages - Viber, Kakao Talk, Line etc. These apps normally automatically detect if people in your address book use the app, and adds them to the app too.

In Japan for example, basically everybody with a smartphone uses Line. People use Line more than regular messaging and calls because it's free, and has other funky features such as emoji.

Comment

Charles you can exchange text and pictures with it, but yes people in your phone address book need to have the app installed too and agree to exchange pictures with you etc.

I've not sold that very well and it's a really good app. Get the missus to install it also and you can try it out easily.

Comment

Maybe that's the thing? The "agree" bit?

Email, you get all sorts of spam because there is no "agree"/"friend" phase.

Comment

It's very good. Me, along with everyone else in Asia, have been using it for years.

There's no need for SMS anymore as long as you have mobile data. The last time I SMS'd someone was 2011.

Comment

As I say, it means you can message and talk to people for free regardless of what network they are on, regardless of what country they are in. For example, I have a Softbank phone in Japan. I get free messages to other Softbank users, but I'd have to pay if the person used Docomo or AU, or lived in the UK. With apps like Whatsapp, this isn't an issue. It's free (using data), provider and handset neutral.

They often have other features that the regular phone OS might not provide too, such as emoji, stamps, stickers etc.

Comment

Google Hangouts does this and more already. And it features SMS functionality too so replaces the messaging app on your Android phone.
                          I started using Line because of the misses, but I only have her on it.

Comment

There are lots of apps that have the same basic functionality as WhatsApp. What makes WhatsApp special is that it was one of the first hit SMS-replacement apps, so it has an absolutely giant userbase - approaching a billion. I think it was quite an early addition to the nascent iOS App Store. It's certainly been around far longer than the Hangouts app.

Of course Hangouts has lots of potential users too, as all you need is a Google account. It doesn't have the mindshare of Whatsapp though, particularly in developing markets.

It's more of a social network than people give it credit for. I know quite a few people who use the Groups feature extensively to start in touch with 10 or more people in one conversation, and dip in and out as necessary.

The $19bn this cost was insane though. The tech bubble is gonna burst, sooner or later.
                            Last edited by wakka; 26-03-2014, 18:34.

Comment

I've been using the iPhone BBM of late. It's not quite as functional as Whatsapp, but it's encrypted, so I can talk about guns and drugs without fear of being busted. I think.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X