X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GCHQ webcam hijack

Now we know why Kinect was originally mandatory

Originally posted by The Guardian
    While the documents do not detail efforts as widescale as those against Yahoo users, one presentation discusses with interest the potential and capabilities of the Xbox 360's Kinect camera, saying it generated "fairly normal webcam traffic" and was being evaluated as part of a wider program.
    So yeah. If you want an HD camera that GCHQ and the NSA can access at any time in your front room, buy an Xbone.

The sad thing is that it's not even a conspiracy theory. They really are doing this with PC webcams and it's only a matter of time before they tap into Xbox video traffic (if they aren't already).

Just makes me want to go and live under a rock in the woods.
    Last edited by wakka; 27-02-2014, 15:54.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
      So yeah. If you want an HD camera that GCHQ and the NSA can access at any time in your front room, buy an Xbone.

The sad thing is that it's not even a conspiracy theory. They really are doing this with PC webcams and it's only a matter of time before they tap into Xbox video traffic (if they aren't already).

Just makes me want to go and live under a rock in the woods.
      So that would also include a PS4 and every modern mobile phone and laptop as well then. I'm not too sure how to take this post. I assume you are taking the piss as its deeply worrying if there are people out there who actually believe this ****. Assuming you are not joking what I would do is get yourself a SonyGaf account set up and join in the 'fun' over there, as you will be in better company.

I weep for the future of the human race I really do ... .

Comment

erm, didn't you see the previous post where GCHQ admitted that had been storing images from random video chats many of which contained people naked. Completely untargetted. It could have been you. It's deeply worrying that you don't believe it.

Comment

Everyone should protect themselves from spying to whatever level they feel is appropriate. Assume that any network enabled device you own that has a camera or mic can be used to listen in and take appropriate measures. Those measures might be to do nothing but we shouldn't ridicule those that are concerned and are taking steps to stop it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skype
            For instant messages, we use TLS (transport-level security) to encrypt your messages between your Skype client and the chat service in our cloud, or AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) when sent directly between two Skype clients. Most messages are sent both ways, but in the future it will only be sent via our cloud so we can give the data to whoever asks to provide the optimal user experience.
            My adjustment above...

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              Everyone should protect themselves from spying to whatever level they feel is appropriate. Assume that any network enabled device you own that has a camera or mic can be used to listen in and take appropriate measures. Those measures might be to do nothing but we shouldn't ridicule those that are concerned and are taking steps to stop it.
              Hey if you want to start a thread about the evils of the world go right ahead .. But don't bring it to an Xbox thread, in the end I don't see you making these sorts of comments on the PS4 thread, or the 3DS thread or any other thread for that matter where this issue could exist. But wait lets hit on the One and Microsoft as its an easy target.

You wanna have a conversation about privacy concerns start a thread about it ... If not then in all honesty this isn't the thread for you, if you are going to make broad statements that basically are not true, or at the very least you cannot prove one way or the other.

Sales in tin hats where you live must be going through the roof ...

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                erm, didn't you see the previous post where GCHQ admitted that had been storing images from random video chats many of which contained people naked. Completely untargetted. It could have been you. It's deeply worrying that you don't believe it.
                Which was on Yahoo account s only and was 'active' webcam sessions, which is fair enough not right, but the point being that the webcams were not just taking pictures and videos randomly which is what Brad and every is implying at the moment.
                Last edited by originalbadboy; 28-02-2014, 08:04.

Comment

Edit: made this separate thread

I don't think anyone is saying that all cameras have been taken over. By random I just mean, if I'm not told about it in advance, then it's random - i.e. it could be ANY service you use on ANY camera - you won't know about till afterwards, if at all.

Comment

From what the article implies, if the photo contains too much flesh, they aren't allowed to store it, so if you want to protect yourself while plotting your next trip to Tesco with your mum, you should both be naked. No, wait....

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                      Edit: made this separate thread

I don't think anyone is saying that all cameras have been taken over. By random I just mean, if I'm not told about it in advance, then it's random - i.e. it could be ANY service you use on ANY camera - you won't know about till afterwards, if at all.
                      I completely agree it certainly shouldn't be happening, although you can see why the paranoid US of Arseholes would want it, which in the end is the driving force of this.

Saying that surveillance one way or the other has been happening for a long time, so for me it doesn't come as a major shock. They (the spies) have been hacking in to phone calls, text messages etc for years. I can't see why this would surprise anyone in all honesty.

The issue is with modern technology such as it is, it is that much more easier to do. At the same time modern technology also allow criminals and terrorists to pass information around much easier. So it's a double edged sword.

Comment

Originally posted by originalbadboy View Post
                        Hey if you want to start a thread about the evils of the world go right ahead .. But don't bring it to an Xbox thread, in the end I don't see you making these sorts of comments on the PS4 thread, or the 3DS thread or any other thread for that matter where this issue could exist. But wait lets hit on the One and Microsoft as its an easy target.

You wanna have a conversation about privacy concerns start a thread about it ... If not then in all honesty this isn't the thread for you, if you are going to make broad statements that basically are not true, or at the very least you cannot prove one way or the other.

Sales in tin hats where you live must be going through the roof ...
                        The topic veered this way in an xbox thread. I never singled out xbox. If the topic veered this way in any other thread I'd still have commented. In fact I specifically did not single out any one device. I have not made any broad statements that aren't true. These GCHQ privacy invasions are proof that my concerns are true.
                        Last edited by Brad; 28-02-2014, 08:49. Reason: Calmed down.

Comment

Originally posted by originalbadboy View Post
                          So that would also include a PS4 and every modern mobile phone and laptop as well then. I'm not too sure how to take this post. I assume you are taking the piss as its deeply worrying if there are people out there who actually believe this ****. Assuming you are not joking what I would do is get yourself a SonyGaf account set up and join in the 'fun' over there, as you will be in better company.

I weep for the future of the human race I really do ... .
                          Oh my god dude seriously, console wars? You're pulling console wars on me first thing on Friday morning?

CONNNSOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLEEEEE WARRRRRSSSS

Don't be ridiculous, of course any webcam has the same capability. I LIKE Xbox (I like all gaming brands because I'm not eleven years old). It's just sad and bad and awful that images from Kinect will most likely be intercepted by NSA and GCHQ, and the mandatory nature of Kinect means that if you own a Bone, you HAVE to have that staring into your front room with its high definition eye constantly. Although there's nothing stopping you putting it facing the wall of course.

There's not much my mobile phone camera could capture except my face and the ceiling, likewise with the one in my computer (would just constantly be transmitting images of my face or office background).

And don't start with the tinfoil hat nonsense either. We all know this is going on now. It has gone from rumour and theory to fact. It's not a matter of belief any more. Unfortunately the whole internet is being tapped en masse.

Now to be fair, this shouldn't have been in an Xbox thread. But there's no need to get all console wars about it. What sort of odd person would think 'oh wonderful, that NSA spying stuff has come out, that will be fantastic wedge to use against those Xbox supporting bastards on the forum'. I mean come on.

Comment

Keep calm please. Check the rules etc..... It's a Friday. Almost the weekend.

Comment

Well, I just felt the need to defend myself

I'm not bothered about the original bad boy though. The NSA GCHQ stuff really does make me feel gutted.

Comment

Working...
                              X