UK Gov to close digital media tax loophole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Gov to close digital media tax loophole

Not sure how many peeps here import digital media but ...

Chancellor announces new laws making sure internet downloads are taxed in the country where they are purchased

Again no mention currently of video games, but I would assume that it would also include it at some point.

Seems fair enough, why should companies like amazon only pay 3% tax on UK sales.

Comment

Yet another reason to be annoyed that MS ditched MS points, it bypassed all this balls.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
        Yet another reason to be annoyed that MS ditched MS points, it bypassed all this balls.
        WHich is probably one of the reason why they ditched it ... But then currently its easy to get US store games for the One . So swings and roundabouts really ..

Whatever happens its the consumers that will get screwed over ... I can see me going back to using VGP quite a bit this generation.

Comment

Yep I never understood why people were so concerned with Amazon paying tax. I would prefer them to pay no tax whatsoever. At the end of the day, Amazon pay tax = I'm worse off. Their prices immediately increased.

Comment

Dosent work like that as they tend to sell stuff at rrp these days and price match when needed, I doubt them getting stug for the tax they owe would do much to how they sell things, as at the end of the day price seems to be the most important factor online and amazon ain't always the cheapest by default.
            Last edited by Lebowski; 25-03-2014, 08:16.

Comment

What does this mean for me - as in me, specifically?

For example I buy games on GOG in dollars. Will I have to pay more dollars? Will they have to price it in pounds?

Comment

I don't think this will affect stores outside the UK, including digital platforms using one price for every region, as GOG does (if I'm not mistaken). It might affect Steam, though.

Comment

What it means is amazons mp3 sales, Google's play store and apples i-tunes store cant say there based in Luxembourg anymore, so they only have to pay 3% tax, with this change we will either see a 20% increase in app prices and mp3s, or google apple ect will have to reduce wholesale costs to keep sales at the magic 99p mp3 79p app price,

its not going to affect say buying off the American xbox store as that at present is more a work around than a legitimate way to purchase things, it might affect the cheap availability of xbox live and psn cards at places like cdkeys though depending on where they say there based.

Comment

The 3% tax thing only applied to e-book sales. Games, music etc are taxed at 15% in Luxembourg.
                    l

Comment

Working...
                    X