Microsoft dropping support for Windows XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft dropping support for Windows XP

Okay, so my old tabletop is running on Windows XP and now the media is whipping up hysteria how all the hackers in the world will take over my computer and steal my identity. My first thought was to throw the entire rig from the balcony (third floor), but then thought I'd ask here first, just in case I'm overreacting.

I've got the Windows firewall and Avast! Antivirus at the moment. Any advice on some good, free firewall for XP now that Microsoft will drop the support for XP? Other security related tips are also welcome, thanks!

Why not just upgrade to Windows 7? I did about 18 months back and have had no problems at all, it's pretty similar to XP and user friendly.

Comment

What do you use your PC for? If it's just for browsing and email, maybe you could switch to chromeOS or Chromium. Or if you do a bit more, you could change to Ubuntu. You can try it out via something like "LinuxLive USB Creator" (or burn a CD). They will be faster than XP or Win7 (no virus checker required).

Or stay with XP. My dad is also panicking about this, but I don't think he's ever had a virus or been to a compromised website, so really who cares. You'll get less interruptions now.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidH View Post
        Why not just upgrade to Windows 7? I did about 18 months back and have had no problems at all, it's pretty similar to XP and user friendly.
        I don't think my machine could run Windows 7, it's that old, LOL. Also, I'd rather not spend more money on this because I don't know when it's going to break down for good and I'll have to get a new computer probably at some point in the near future.

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
        What do you use your PC for? If it's just for browsing and email, maybe you could switch to chromeOS or Chromium. Or if you do a bit more, you could change to Ubuntu. You can try it out via something like "LinuxLive USB Creator" (or burn a CD). They will be faster than XP or Win7 (no virus checker required).

Or stay with XP. My dad is also panicking about this, but I don't think he's ever had a virus or been to a compromised website, so really who cares. You'll get less interruptions now.
        Yeah, browsing the web, shopping online, email and some older PC games (offline, I don't really play online games).

Comment

Then go the Linux way, the learning curve is essentially flat in Ubuntu. I would not renouce to a good firewall, though.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much.

All this means is that Microsoft are no longer writing patches for XP, so if security holes are found from now, they won't be plugged.
            However, it's not that likely that amazing new hacks are going to be found, seeing as it came out in 2001 and was patched three times.

The last service pack was 6 years ago, so nothing major has come along since and smaller fixes will have sorted those.

With a good anitvirus and a bit of common sense, you should be fine. My desktop is running Windows 2000!

Obviously, this is opinion only and should you find yourself giving your bank details to a "Nigerian prince", it's not my fault.

Comment

If you have an older machine, try looking up Tiny7 or something similar, that will run about the same as XP

Comment

Windows 7 scales perfectly fine with older hardware.

I mean, his machine can't be any worse than the PC in my living room which has a Prescott Celeron and a gig of RAM.

Comment

I disagree with this ^^^ - generally...
                  Unless your XP machine already has over 2 gig of RAM on it Windows 7 will run like an absolute dog on it whereas XP still loves a machine with 1gig installed.

Comment

I have 512 Mb RAM...

Comment

I run xp vms with 512mb fine but I didn't want to exaggerate lol

Comment

Apparently governments have negotiated to have extra extended support for their XP systems. In other words, new security updates for XP will actually exist, but won't be rolled out to the public.

I recognise that Microsoft have supported the product for a relatively long time and can only reasonably be expected to support the product for so long, but it's a bit irresponsible given how many machines in the world will suddenly become increasingly vulnerable to attack, and security updates that apparently will exists won't be rolled out.

Comment

Large organisations can pay for this support too, but from what I can tell it's exorbitantly expensive, so that even hard-up investment banks are thinking twice.

Comment

And this is how MS make so much of their money, to get my Excel version/licence (yes one person) at work up to the latest version we were told it would cost ?700 - this is what my IT Dept said anyway.
                            Last edited by VR46; 08-04-2014, 11:21.

Comment

I've always been a fan of the "make me want to upgrade" strategy rather than "force me to reluctantly".

Comment

Working...
                              X