Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend me a TV

Hey All,

I'm looking at replacing my TV. I would like to keep it under 1k and would like 3D. I've had Samsungs the last 5 years and they have always treated me well but I am not up on TVs anymore.

With my current TV I always have the center speaker problem with Blu rays where talking isn't loud enough and all other noise is really loud and with me not being able to have a surround sound system, it would be great if the TV delt with this.

Is all this smart TV stuff any good? Should i be worried about 4k?

Thanks

Could spend the cash on a surround amp and speakers instead? Or do you need the 3D?

Comment

Smart TV on our Panasonic Viera is pretty poor and nothing you couldn't do on your phone etc. Don't think the TV is even connected to the internet now, novelty of that wore off after the first day.

Comment

And you could get a TV with USB and a google thing for ?30 which turns it into a smart TV.

Comment

3D screens are worth having even if you don't use them for 3D as they tend to have better refresh rates, the active 3D one at least.
          I'm very happy with a 6 series Samsung at the moment.

Comment

Sony W8 series seems to get loads of great reviews & can be had for under ?1K

Personally I'd look at Panny plasma if you can still find them
            GT series should be under ?1k these days but I can't seem to find anyone still carrying them on a Google search
            Plenty of the VT which replaces it but that's well over ?1k

Neil

Comment

Thanks for all the answers guys. The surround sound problem is due to lack of space in my living room. I'm not fussed about the smart TV stuff as I have an Apple TV. The DLNA media stuff would most likely have been the only thing that interested me.

I'll check out the TVs mentioned and post a few up and see what you think

Comment

Sony's have great refresh rates. Ideal for gaming.
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Yeah they look great, its a toss up between sony and samsung at the moment. Does anyone know what the difference between the Samsung H range and F range is?

Comment

The letter is a year code so f is 2013, h is 2014. G was skipped

Comment

Ah okie, which samsung have you got Smouty?

I notice the Samsung's and Sony's are Active 3d and LGs are Passive 3D, does Active 3d not have flicker issues?

edit what do we think about the

Samsung UE55F6320 or UE46F6800.

The UE50H6200 is the new set for this year but doesnt come with any 3D glasses. I couldnt really see any difference between the spec though and the older ones.

How do they hold up to the sony soundwave mentioned?
                      Last edited by djtickle; 17-04-2014, 19:24.

Comment

The Sony's will normally have a guaranteed panel type per screen size- MVA or AOU, which if you are happy with then great.
                        The Samsungs are still a lottery as to which panel type you'll get.
                        I ended going for a European 40f6500 which has a chrome bezel and a Samsung panel.
                        I would probably look for a TV you like the look of if you don't want to spend ages investigating models and possible deficiencies

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
                          The Sony's will normally have a guaranteed panel type per screen size- MVA or AOU, which if you are happy with then great.
                          The Samsungs are still a lottery as to which panel type you'll get.
                          I ended going for a European 40f6500 which has a chrome bezel and a Samsung panel.
                          I would probably look for a TV you like the look of if you don't want to spend ages investigating models and possible deficiencies
                          Cheers

I was looking at the Samsung UE46F6800 and the Samsung UE55F6320. I like the look of both but what i dont understand is that the F6800 looks to me like a better spec but yet the F6320 is more expensive? Is it just the size or am i missing something spec wise?

Ok after some further investigation the 6500 and the 6800 are the same TV but just look different.

Now I just need to understand why the F6320 is more expensive than the F6800/F6500 TVs.
                          Last edited by djtickle; 17-04-2014, 20:05.

Comment

Ok so Ive narrowed it down to the Sony Soundwave recommended and the F6800 Samsung.

Sony KDL50W829BBU Vs Samsung UE46F6800.

Apart from Size can anyone recommend one over the other?

*edit

I was just leaning to the Sony when I found out that it doesnt support vesa wall brackets and also as it has a sound bar built in its quite thick. I need to try and see the bracket as I already have a vesa one up I would like to avoid more drilling.

The sound bar sounds like it would solve my bluray problem though!
                            Last edited by djtickle; 17-04-2014, 21:41.

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
                              Right I think i'm all set to go with the Sony as it looks like you can get a vesa wall mount from Sony direct.

Smouty / Anyone what does this mean? MVA or AOU? What do the Samsungs use? I'm not sure if i'm happy with this haha!

Comment

Working...
                              X