Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something else i made, tis glorious (well i think so hehe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something else i made, tis glorious (well i think so hehe)

Finally finished off another project. Started out as an idea in my head while sat at work in the lab i saw lots of tiny bijoux bottles & thought that they might make an interesting lamp. Love messing with LEDs so after a bit of thought an idea took shape.

Really pleased how it turned out it's a mess on the inside but not too shabby on the outside hehe. This time it was all my own design no going off anyones ideas online which made it a bit tricky as i had to work out how to put it all together.

Anyway i thought i might share some pics.

Started out with a pile of tiny bijoux bottles i painted the lids black drilled a hole & soldered a led to the end of the wire & set it in the lid. The little things in the bottles are glass beads it helps give weight to the bottle keeping the wires straight & also diffuses the leds light so it scatters more.

Used a plastic project box to mount it all into, repeated the process 28 times it was a lot of work to get to this stage.

Started stringing the bottles at various lengths, used bluetack to keep the wires taught & my ds games to suspend the cover as i have no huge selection of tools to hand, the barbie gun was used to glue the wires in place to stop them moving too much.

Meanwhile i mounted the other half of the project box on my ceiling, in the box was a power socket on the outside & a couple of wires running in. The hard part was the fact that i couldn't drill a hole in my ceiling as it's hard as diamond so i had to go with plan B which was use no more nails & glue the sucker up lol

Got all the connections routed & soldered till there was just 2 wires connected to them all, yes it's not the most elegant design inside but it had solid connections & when put up it wont be seen. You can see the mass of hot glue used, ah hot glue what would i do without you?

Finally the first power test & tadaa it actually lit up, a good sign.

All that was left to do was connect the 2 wires to the other 2 in the project box & screw the lid together, the idea is then to use a 9 volt power supply & an extension cord up the side of my wall & plug it into the box. Totally zero fire risk as the power is so low it's not even remotely warm. Does a fantastic job of brightening up that dark corner of my room.

And a pic with flash on, colours are muted but you can see it a bit better

And that's pretty much it

I don't really get it, but it's cool as ****. Reminds me of my MAG's.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I like it. Imaginative and pretty safe. Groovy out of 10.

Comment

It's really funky and you used less hot glue than apple use in an ipad

Comment

Working...
        X