Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting out of an O2 contract. Any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting out of an O2 contract. Any advice?

My mum signed up to a 24 month O2 contract back in September last yr, but after going over her limit numerous times she's decided she wants out now.

Does anyone here know of a way that she can cancel the contract without having to fork out the remaining 16 months of her contract upfront?

Thanks in advance ppl

O2 refresh? Surely she could increase her limits?

Comment

You could try the accepted for value and promissory note method. If O2 is a law abiding company they will accept it. Worth a shot.

Comment

The whole point of the contract is that is exactly what it is.

Their contracts are sealed up tight and unless you've somehow found them in breach of it then you'll struggle.

Best thing to do is change your tariff to one that you aren't going to go over on.

Comment

Best way to avoid contracts is to not make them, especially ones that are 2 years. Else you might find yourself in a situation like this:

Comment

Did she get a phone with her contract? if so her bills will be subsidising the cost of the handset too, this will be spread over the length of the contract, i cant see why you would want out as your just going to have the same issues elsewhere. their is not much difference between what a call costs between the networks so change the tariff to one that gives you more minutes.

i did this as i found myself using more minutes than my tariff aloud and saved money in the long run, there are various voice over ip apps that let you use data to make calls google hangouts is one that i used to use to ring my brother this is a way to get usage down and save money, and very easy to set up.
            Last edited by Lebowski; 22-05-2014, 14:00.

Comment

Worth noting is that you can get out of it by paying the remainder of the contract, O2 will give you a 25% discount for this.

If she has a fancy iphone or whatever, then this will be similar in price to what you will have paid had you bought the phone sim free in the first place.

Comment

Guts video link reminded me to check for a Human Centipede 3 release date and it must be later this year.

Think Boris original idea of upgrading to another contract level is best. They may even upgrade her web or minutes for free if you explain the situation. Assume 02 won't cap contracts to stop people going over - though this is normally aimed at the under 16's.

EDDIE I know I'm stating the obvious but can't she check web/minutes usage throughout the month to stop going over?

Comment

@DavidH yeah but she never bothered. I checked & she was way over every month. She just git carried away i guess.
                  She's now changed to a higher tariff but I'll look into the 25% discount for ending early offer.

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                    Worth noting is that you can get out of it by paying the remainder of the contract, O2 will give you a 25% discount for this.
                    Of note is that this 25% only applies if you're paying off your contract to move to O2 refresh. If you were to move providers or anything then that discount won't apply.

Comment

When I spoke to someone about it that was certainly the case, but the CSA may have been wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X