[PSV] Bullet Girls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PSV] Bullet Girls

Bullet Girls is a third-person shooter where the player-controlled female high school student is pitted against other female high school students, everyone armed with airsoft guns able to tear clothes apart.

Because Japan.

I guess there's a story, as you are seldom entertained by the various characters speaking to each other, but I skipped through them after a couple of lines, so details on this aspect fo the game are kinda sketchy.

The game starts off with two characters and basic weapons available, but as the game progresses, more characters, weapons, and clothes become available. Almost everything must be purchased in the in-game shop with points obtained by completing missions; better rankings reward with more points, though it seems that completion time is the most important factor in getting good ranks.

All characters can be customised with four weapons, an item (like medkits), and three pieces of clothing. Before missions, besides selecting the character you'll control directly, you can select a supporting character, that will essentially point out enemies on the minimap; some characters work better with others, and how two will work together can be deduced by your character's reaction when highlighting someone.
    During missions you face an army of cloned girls, whose only differences are the weapon they carry, clothes worn, and colour of their hair; as the game goes on enemies use more uniforms, I really hope they also introduce new hairstyles or a third hair colour...I know these girls are supposed to be less recognisable than the playable cast, but GalGun had randomised girls, and there's already a mix-and-match system in place for everything else.
    Anyway, movements include rolls, sprints, and even close-range kicks to open crates or to stun enemies. Controls work well, it's possible to invert essentially all axis, though aiming can be a little too sensitive at times. Collision detection could have used some refinement though, as close shots often miss what should be a target right in your sight, and shotguns are useless unless right next to a target.
    Weapons you can carry are machine guns, shotguns, sniper rifles, pistols, grenades and rocket launchers. Explosive weapons aren't particularly useful against humans, and though they will knock a group of enemies off their feet. All weapons except pistols and grenades can use iron sights, the other two can lock on enemies for easier strafing; due to the pistols' low damage potential, you'll soon stick to machine guns in most situations. There are situations when pistols can be useful, like against bosses with long-range weapons, but I was able to outsnipe a boss with a machine gun, abusing the Artificial Stupidity of all enemies.
    Enemies will move only when directly threatened or if they follow a path from the start of the mission. You see a group of them, snipe one out, the rest stands still. Throw a grenade and the whole group will move. All opponents can take a good number of bullets before "dying", headshots work for one-shot kills but they have very small hit points, and more often than not, you'll just stagger enemies.
    Against more resilient enemies carrying sniper rifles, you can trick them to stand still near objects and fire until they roll away, after which they are usually struck in a loop between two locations.

But I know you want to know about the destructible clothes.
    All girls can have their clothes destroyed in multiple parts: arms, legs, chest (front and rear), abdomen (front and rear), skirt, and even the underwear itself (that will be replaced by convenientdust clouds). As with Senran Kagura, you'll soo try to headshot everyone to avoid these cut-ins because they create unwanted pauses; no matter how short these cut-ins might be, they can be triggered by all enemies, there's only one animation per part, and the appeal is lost within the first five minutes.
    Playable characters can be customised with uniforms, bras and panties. Uniforms are just there to look good (and be destroyed), underwear can reduce reload times, increase rate of fire, or add more HPs. Of the various effects I've seen, the only marginally useful is the HP boost, but if you factor in how dumb enemies are and you can carry medkits, even that doesn't really play a part in the game.
    Sure, you can play dress up with the characters, but that's that, and it doesn't have the same appeal as in Senran Kagura. I think that the dress up part in SK worked because there was an underlying humor in the premise of the game, and the outfits there were varied and very stupid, and often I would scour the dress room for the silliest outfit possible, here in Bullet Girls...well, at first it was kinda creepy, then I started to ignore it, just taking a glance at available uniforms.
    It's probably also due to the characters in Bullet Girls, the only difference is the colour of their hairs; Senran Kagura might not have the most complex characters in videogame history but at least it tried to give them some personality, and above all, they all played differently; in Bullet Girls, characters are exactly the same except for their appearance.

There's one last part about the game: the Jinmon segment. Jinmon as in interrogation, which only takes place after defeating a boss. You assign four hand gestures to the four face buttons and you "interrogate" the defeated girl by pocking, rubbing or slapping her. Each face button is linked to a colour, and you have to use the correct gesture where a coloured crosshair pops up for a second or two. There are two bars, good and bad, using the correct gesture build up "good", using an opposing gesture build up "bad". You are then graded on your performance, but I still haven't understood if good and bad points are opposites, if they are simply added together, or there's a more complex mechanic behind that. Either way, it's minigame where you have to touch girls, like in DokiDoki Majo Shinpan.

I'd say that the creepiness factor is very high, the game itself is a rather basic shooter.

God bless you for reviewing these types of games.

Comment

I ordered this game the very second I finished reading the first post in this thread.

Comment

My work here is done.

Comment

Tomato - Me too

Comment

Good write up b_k, would be very tempted if I still had my Vita.

Comment

Some more infos:
              the girls are in the school's soft air club. The advisor for the club is apparently a lady from the army(JSDF), and she'll change underwear every time you change menu. Sometimes she won't wear her unifor because "it's too hot today". In menus, there's always a girl (one of the girls from the airsfot club, the advisor, or the girl managing the shop), and you can rotate the point of view with the right stick, have her say something (square) or zoom in on various parts of her body (triangle).
              The high school the girls are attending must be for incredibly rich girls, as they have tanks, helicopters, and even a frigging OV-22 Osprey to throw in in their airsoft matches. And vehicles actually explode.
              I'm continuing to play this to see if a robot pops out or if the girls get recruited by the EDF (same publisher).

Comment

Sounding more and more like Game Of The Year

Comment

I take it with a UK Vita the physical version of this will play just fine and work with your standard UK-assigned memory card?

If I owned a Vita I'd have bought this today. Nice write up.

Could Bordersdown be the last bastion devoid of the dreaded SJW? I love this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                    I take it with a UK Vita the physical version of this will play just fine and work with your standard UK-assigned memory card?
                    It works on a EU Vita with an EU card with only Japanese saves on it.

Comment

So if the card has EU saves, what happens?

Looks like I need to buy 3 cards then? EU, US and JPN?

Comment

You don't. My card has US, UK and JP saves.

Comment

Sketcz it will work absolutely fine. I have saves from all regions on my card.

Comment

Certainly curiosity pieces these games. I don't have the kind of budget to permit buying bad ecchi games though - not right now at least.

Comment

Should send Anita Sarkeesian a copy.

Comment

Working...
                              X