Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potentially Serious GBA-SP->GBA Link Up Problems

Hi,

was looking forward to some link up 4 swords tonight with 2 mates... one of which has a GBA-SP, the other has a regular GBA.

Try as we might we couldn't get the link up to work... kept getting communication errors. We've played link up a number of times in the past with our trusty old fisher price GBA's with no problem, so we were convinced that we weren't doing anything wrong...

By elimination, we found out that we only received comms failures when the GBA was attached... both GBA-SP's would talk to each other without any problems. We tried two different link up cables, granted, both were 3rd party, however, we've never had problems in the past.

Multi-Pak Mario Kart worked fine.

I tried a few link up experiments of my own using both my GBA's.

single pak bubble bobble didn't work sp->gba. single pak sp->sp does work.
    single pak advance wars didn't work.
    single pak f-zero didn't work...

I'm noticing a worrying trend... the cable used is the free one that comes with bubble bobble.

is this a serious problem that we've just discovered.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has had similar experiences, using different cables... would like to see if anyone using the 1st party cable has had any problems.

Quick question, are all the gba games you are using EUR?

Comment

I've experienced no problems whatsoever and I've played 4 swords two player with both an SP and a normal GBA, with both being the controlling machine. Both Zeldas were US.

At the meet, we played three player Mariokart, with one person on a afterburnered GBA, one on an SP and me on a Gameboy Player with no problems at all. One of the leads was official and the other was the free Bubble Bobble one.

Sounds like it might be a faulty GBA .

Comment

Originally posted by Rushy
        We managed to link up two SP's quite happily, one was a US zelda and one was UK. The cable was 3rd party...

It does sound like a faulty GBA on my friends side, however, it's a bit strange that it didn't work with my own GBA either.

Comment

Originally posted by Brats
          I've experienced no problems whatsoever and I've played 4 swords two player with both an SP and a normal GBA, with both being the controlling machine. Both Zeldas were US.

At the meet, we played three player Mariokart, with one person on a afterburnered GBA, one on an SP and me on a Gameboy Player with no problems at all. One of the leads was official and the other was the free Bubble Bobble one.

Sounds like it might be a faulty GBA .
          We didn't have a problem with Mario Kart either, just Zelda link up where one player was a regular GBA. We discounted the US cart issue, since both my friend and I with SP's managed to link both Zelda's together (and he owns a US zelda). When I got home, single player links SP->GBA didn't work for any of the games that I listed....

Are you guys using 1st party link cables per chance?

Comment

Originally posted by scottcr
            We managed to link up two SP's quite happily, one was a US zelda and one was UK. The cable was 3rd party...

It does sound like a faulty GBA on my friends side, however, it's a bit strange that it didn't work with my own GBA either.
            Nope his GBA is fine. I tried this today with the same conditions. SP & GBA/ UK & US copies of zelda and it wouldn't work (tried with both official and unoffficial cable). Works fine with SP to SP or GBA to GBA!!!!!

Why are there compatability probs between GBA to SP?

Comment

Thanks!

Sounds like there ARE some problems... How do we escalate this?

I don't particularly want to raise a storm with nintendo... I applaud their marketing of GBA-SP and their aims... however, it looks as though there may be some fundamental issues...

Comment

Originally posted by scottcr
                Sounds like there ARE some problems... How do we escalate this?
                Especially when it states in the manual that the old GBA and GBASP can be linked together.

Unless the GBASP are region locked in someway which prevent different versions of the game not to be linked any more

Comment

On a slightly unrelated note:

I'm about to get my third SP today - that's third in under a week!

All my issues have been screen related, though I have read online that there are a few units with problems with linking etc. This was more directly those in America, but its more than likely the same problems can effect the units here.

I've already connected Nintendo to express my concerns, and was told that they've not had any reports of problems. Funny how (for the problems I'm having at least) the Nintendo US website actually mentions them - yet Nintendo UK deny all knowledge. I wonder why they didn't answer my email when I pointed this out! ft:

Goes without saying I'm not exactly a happy bunny!

In fairness they did say I could send my machine in and have it examined, but frankly that's not really good enough - why should a brand new ?90 machine have to go in for examination and/or repair in less than a week! It's obsurd! Not to mention whose going to pick up the tab for my return visits to my retailer and the cost of postage!

Don't get me wrong I'm sure many of you SP owners are more than happy with your machines, but two have 2/2 bad machines is not really a good indication. I can accept one as unlucky - remember the PS2 when it first came out, but to have 2? That's bad!

I'll get number 3 later, let you know how this one is

Back to the main situation:

I'd change your machine, its gotta be still under warrenty! And let Nintendo know too!

Comment

Originally posted by Friction
                    All my issues have been screen related, though I have read online that there are a few units with problems with linking etc.
                    Are you saying that it is a fault with the hardware itself the linking problem? So if I had a new (&working) GBA SP I would be able to link my GBA & SP together with lttp?

Comment

Originally posted by Friction
                      All my issues have been screen related, though I have read online that there are a few units with problems with linking etc.
                      Are you saying that it is a fault with the hardware itself the linking problem? So if I had a new (&working) GBA SP I would be able to link my GBA & SP together with lttp?
                      I'm not totally sure to be honest.

Most of the stuff I have read online has related to the screen, though I have seen mention of faulty L&R triggers and couple of mentions of Link issues.

If you've tried various link arrangements and still to no avail then your exchanging your machine is certainly something you could investigate.

I could be totally wrong, but it's something to consider trying!

Most of the stuff I've read has come from the Gamefaq's message boards. Whilst this may not be the most accurate source of information, its a good way to identify any common problems. Worth a look!

HTH

Friction

Comment

plot thickens...

I think it may be my cable... although it's not marked, after some experimenting, it looks as though it's directional...

next step is to try 4 swords again and see how it works. Will keep you posted.

Comment

Ok.

tried this last night... everyone with 1st party cables... me with US Zelda, mate with UK Zelda and mate with Rom Zelda (stress: for test purposes only).

US and Rom Zelda could play together without problems, cable in any direction, mixture of SP->SP and GBA->SP.

In any combination, the US and UK Zelda could not communicate, regardless of gameboy.

Has anyone tried this? If this is true, it's a serious problem. I'm a frequent business traveller who took advantage of a visit to the states to buy LttP a few weeks early... and now it looks as though I'm being punished.

Comment

Some games won't talk to games from other regions, Advance Wars being a notable one.

Comment

Is this cleary indicated...?

I feel a bit cheated by this... I'm a bit of a nintendo boy myself, buy PAL versions of their games most of the time and only import when I feel it's necessary, (animal crossing eg)... but... being penalised for taking advantage of a business trip to buy an official nintendo game has pissed me off somewhat.

What is particularly annoying is that the ROM link works fine....

Comment

Working...
                              X