Bit of a strange one this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit of a strange one this.

Any germ experts in the house? I'll tell you why... I made a big order of stuff from Lik-Sang and when i checked the tracking it says its been delayed beyond UPS's control in the Philappeans (SP!). Now I'm wondering if its something to do with the war or is it due to this SARS epidemic thats hitting that area.

Anyone know how well cardboard boxes carry germs?

Looks like i might need to go buy some surgical mask before I open the boxes.

I bought something from Lik-Sang last week and went for the cheap option on delivery and it got here o.k. Took nine days.

Comment

Its not yet confirmed what the delivery mechanism is for SARS yet, so its entirely gruesome speculation if you'll drop dead or not, sorry

The Guardian has a good summary of what we know so far, however. Its my guess you'll be safe, as most of the infections have been spread by fairly close contact.

Don't go watching Outbreak in a hurry if you want to sleep, but I doubt there is any real danger from a game box.

Comment

The best guess is that the incubation period is brief - between three and six days.
        So i'll be letting the local UPS office keep it for a week before I go collect it

Better go buy some surgical masks and a lot of Dettol then.

Comment

did nobody see that episode of the Simpsons? Homer ordered something from Japan and the flu sat in the box until he opened it then oozed into his every pore.

RUN AWAY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Crisp_Rapper
            did nobody see that episode of the Simpsons? Homer ordered something from Japan and the flu sat in the box until he opened it then oozed into his every pore.

I love that bit

Plus it goes floating down the high street in a big cloud of green gas and Chief Wigam tries to shoot it !

Classic

The problem with SARS is that they don't know much about it, and are working hard to find out before it gets even further out of control

Put it this way, if SARS is bacterial then no, you won't have much chance of catching it if your parcel took a week or so to arrive. Bacteria need a viable medium to survive and continue growing.

Your parcel wouldn't be a suitable transport medium for bacteria and if any where smeered on the contents or the packaging it would soon die

However there's nothing to say SARS will follow the usual rules and it may be able to survive by producing toxins or spores which will protect the bacteria in a kind of hibernation - kind of like Anthrax.

If its a virus, then its possible but the chances are quite remote. To contract it you would need to have been in close proximity to someone during the phase of infection when it was still `communicable`. Some things you can only catch off a person in the early stages, sometimes before they exhibit symptoms ( ie:- colds - you can be infected up to a week before you exhibit any symptoms and still pass it on to other people )

If its any conselation, I'm still waiting for my copy of Zelda from DVDBO and thats coming from Canada ( where they're bricking themselves over a couple of SARS cases ).

If you're that worried, get some sterile wipes ( non alcohol based of course ) to disifect the package and product when you recieve it - not any disc's mind !

And don't ask how I know all this stuff. Its my job to know

Comment

How do we know this isn't a relatively low-level test by some terrorists? I hate to get all American paranoia on you all for a minute, but noone's really made mention or even directly ruled it out on the news yet.

Comment

Working...
              X