Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retro gaming to avoid, the worst of the worst.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro gaming to avoid, the worst of the worst.

So as much as we all love retro gaming system there is no hiding the fact that for every good game there is a bad one!

Altered Beast is one such sinker that Sega should have never of made and classics like Rise of the Robots and Pitfighter where every copy of the game should now be in a landfill.

Been helping with the some of the video on the blog at the moment and playing Virtual Hydlide, Reminded me just how bad some games can be.

Real stinker of an RPG just looks and plays like utter rubbish and runs at about 15fps to think Sega even released this in Europe. All the staff must have known it was going to be a turkey.

Another pet hate is ports that just butcher the original game like the wonderful Saturn port of Mortal Kombat II, the game loads after you perform the first special movie each match, shocking just shocking

I'm guessing some here would say every Mortal Kombat should be in this thread.
    Last edited by S3M; 30-07-2015, 18:02.

Really interesting to see that Mortal Kombat II video. I remember it getting very poor reviews in Sega Saturn Magazine, but like that youtuber says, in still images it looked fantastic, so I always assumed there was something genuinely dreadful about it.

Weirdly, although the Saturn had its share of bad games, I didn't play any of them - the Sega Saturn mag meant I steered pretty clear. Consequently I never played Virtual Hydlide, Victory Goal et al.

Most "bad" games I've played were more "disappointing" than genuinely bad. For instance, I hated the Wii version of Nights, but I suspect for people new to it, it was probably a reasonable game. I think Sonic 06 is the worst game I've ever played, though I bought that partially out of a morbid curiosity, knowing full well it was crap after playing it at TGS '06.
    Last edited by Asura; 30-07-2015, 20:42.

Comment

I still like Altered Beast and got some enjoyment from Virtual Hydlide - can't say it's a good game but I was amused by the badness, takes all sorts I guess.

Comment

The thing about Virtual Hydlide is that it's so crap it's good. It's quite advanced for its time with auto generating maps, full large 3D world and interesting settings. The games biggest flaw was T&E Soft using their golf game engine to power the game. If they had made a better game engine the game may have been more accessible to others.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
          The thing about Virtual Hydlide is that it's so crap it's good. It's quite advanced for its time with auto generating maps, full large 3D world and interesting settings. The games biggest flaw was T&E Soft using their golf game engine to power the game. If they had made a better game engine the game may have been more accessible to others.
          You wouldnt guess the fun a crowd of us had with this, as students in the 90's!

Pretty decent follow up to Pebble Beach Golf , with some great fantasy courses .

And pebble beach golf - good old T&E!

Comment

I like Altered Beast as well. Once you actually become the beasts, it's fun, and transforming never gets old. Letting the white two-headed dog get past you without grabbing the power-up has to be one of the most annoying things in gaming.

Anyway, Urban Champion is a stinker and a half.

Comment

Retro games to avoid IMHO would be in no particular order:

1. Xenon II - a poor excuse for a shooter.
              2. Final Fantasy 7 - Drivel.
              3. Metal Gear Solid (PlayStation) - A pile of preachy cutscenes with brief gameplay interludes.
              4. Shadow of the Beast - Amiga tech demo which was sold as a game apparently.
              5. Tomb Raider - Dull, dull, dull.
              6. Gran Turismo - grinding is bad.
              7. Donkey Kong Country - Overrated and surprisingly ugly game. Only really looked OK on 14" portables via RF.
              8. Axelay - Not as bad as others on this list but still style over substance.
              9. Super Aleste - worst game in an incredible series. Overly long levels get really boring.
              10. Moonstone (Amiga) - Just don't.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post

3. Metal Gear Solid (PlayStation) - A pile of preachy cutscenes with brief gameplay interludes.

7. Donkey Kong Country - Overrated and surprisingly ugly game. Only really looked OK on 14" portables via RF.

9. Super Aleste - worst game in an incredible series. Overly long levels get really boring.
                Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 31-07-2015, 07:23.

Comment

If you were good enough to get the International A license in Gran Turismo it completely removes the grind.

Comment

A trolling list if ever I saw one.

I have a real one though - Robotica on the Sega Saturn. Technically for back in the day it looked pretty good. But it was just about the dullest game I have ever played.

Bland endless mazes with bland enemies and no reason to care about anything. Slow and dull. If you're ever tempted to play it, don't bother. Play Alien Trilogy instead.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post

I'm not sure if you are just trying to get a rise out of people or you are a genuine idiot.

to say these classic titles are the worst retro games out there is hilarious. what an absolute dope.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        Bland endless mazes with bland enemies and no reason to care about anything. Slow and dull. If you're ever tempted to play it, don't bother. Play Alien Trilogy instead.
                        DOES... NOT... COMPUTE...

Comment

Originally posted by boxhead View Post
                          I'm not sure if you are just trying to get a rise out of people or you are a genuine idiot.

to say these classic titles are the worst retro games out there is hilarious. what an absolute dope.
                          That is his opinion though, you can't tell someone their opinion is wrong.

And I agree with him about Tomb Raider tbh. zzzz

Comment

Speedy you make me laugh. You're implying that people like different things you nutter!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                              Speedy you make me laugh. You're implying that people like different things you nutter!
                              Gosh I'm sorry!

You're right, anyone who hates popular games is dumb!

Comment

Working...
                              X