Japanese PS2 2D Beat Em Ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese PS2 2D Beat Em Ups

What have you played? What would you recommend......
    Decided to have a go at a few...will be playing 3rd strike on PS2 for the 1st time (always Dreamcast or XBLA)

Like the look of Hokuto no Ken, Fist of the North Star....
    Always fancied the Matrimelee PS2 (1.5)... I understand, game.

So many arcade ports too...

Please throw some games into the ring and i'll read and watch footage....

(think I had arcana hearts 2 last time, but my dreamcast was always home of 2D Fighting, hoping to change that)
    Thank you.

Blobcat and I have played quite a lot of Arcana Heart 3; daft as a brush but it can be fun.

Comment

Hokuto No Ken was brilliant when I had it.
      I suck at all fighters & never actually completed it but I loved it & seeing a proper Hokuto No Ken fighter was like a dream come true.

Garou: MotW was awesome too
      Rumble Fish is well worth a punt
      Darkstalkers Chronicles
      Alpha Generations
      Guilty Gear series was great (I had Midnight Carnival & XX Accent Core)

I've heard Melty Blood: Act Codenza was quite good too but I never played that

Also any of the SNK collections should be worth picking up

Neil

Comment

I find it hard to recommend anything but Third Strike...

If you're interested I have JP copies of CvS2 and Capcom Fighting Jam I could shift...

Comment

I've already played a fair bit of CvS2.....I would have actually said yes, but, I really want a new game to go with 3rd Strike.
          I don't fancy Capcom Fighting Jam, although, when I heard about this a few years ago, I was quite excited as I do like Capcom characters, but, I heard the game isn't that good..*sigh*

Comment

Yeah it's complete balls. Could be worse though!

Comment

Speedy, have you played Third Strike on the PS2...wondering how close it is to a perfect arcade port...
              I've often read just tiny indifferences with both the PS2 and Dreamcast versions, but only ever played it on Dreamcast....

Comment

Well, if you're talking on a metagame level everyone used to play the PlayStation 2 version because it has unblockables which is essential for playing characters like Urien properly. This is the same as the first arcade revision, although the 2nd arcade revision removed unblockables. As S3M pointed out before, it seems as if Third Strike on Dreamcast is a third revision and isn't actually based on either revision of the arcade versions. The PlayStation 2 version doesn't have a 240p mode like the Dreamcast version mind. Noawadays I just play Third Strike Online or emulate 990512 in Final Burn Alpha.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowDancer View Post
                  Speedy, have you played Third Strike on the PS2...wondering how close it is to a perfect arcade port...
                  I've often read just tiny indifferences with both the PS2 and Dreamcast versions, but only ever played it on Dreamcast....
                  For all intents and purposes, I've played all of them (I think) and whilst I was aware of the differences, they're only the kind of thing you'd care about if you plan on hitting the tournament scene - which I think is on the way out now, anyway.

Comment

I just really enjoy 3rd Strike, I didn't care for how it looked on XBLA...I know there were picture options...at the time and for over the last 5 years, I've played 3rd strike on Dreamcast, very much. I had a few nice live games...I just enjoy playing CPU anyway, I'm not a master with the setting on 8 and walk through, I play it on default and get challenges, like speedy, I love parrying, it took me a while to get, but its definitely in my game

I'm just looking at buying this as I haven't had it for 5 months and this was on my list as with getting a famicom.
                    I decided to quit gaming, it felt wrong and was wrong...I'm just getting a few things sorted now...I've decided this time around to go Japanese PS2 and leave the Dreamcast to one side for now...

(as it stands, on order or funds nearly there)

CRT - Bang & Olufsen Mx1500 15"

Famicom (here)
                    Multi Region MD (shipped)
                    Jpn Saturn (Shipped)
                    Jpn PS2 (in talks)
                    Famicom Disk System (no major rush...)

(next up)

Modded n64 (RGB Mod)
                    Super famicom and super Gameboy.
                    Last edited by ShadowDancer; 06-08-2015, 17:45.

Comment

I have family basic too for famicom....I play around with that too....I'm grasping things with it....trying not to run before I can walk..

I only have one Part-time job now, whilst being great for having heaps of time to game and listen to music, I'm basically skint, the only reason I've bought some of this stuff is because I made a cull to some of my records and belongings.

Swings and roundabouts though, I'd sooner be dead than work 40 hours.

Comment

sengoku barsara x is nice; the vampire collection is great too, it you dont have the means to emulate

Comment

Thanks Andy...I know that game, but have never played it. I don't like emulation that much, besides...I only ever have a moderate collection at any given time because I invest a lot of time into the games I buy....trying to learn from my mistakes...like a lot of people here..way back importing, I was buying dreamcast games for box art, never even to play, and it was beautiful...

I don't even care about spine cards now....condition...not too fussed! The world has gone mad (no..just me!)

I am tempted for emulation for Arcade though, but, having owned a few superguns, it still isn't the same, and unless its me, the resolution aint right through emulation for 80's arcade stuff...

Comment

I'm probably going to be shifting my RGB modded NTSC N64 soon, so hit me up if you're after one.

Comment

Yes I will be interested for 100% Speedy...but, its going to be at-least a couple of weeks until I have the money...
                              I'm happy for you to send a picture and price if you can wait...I know you're a good seller, with out going all sentimental, I enjoy your posts all over this forum. You're a good un man.

Comment

Working...
                              X