So, the PC Engine. Worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, the PC Engine. Worth it?

After playing on one for the first time at an anime con a little while ago, I've been interested in the PC Engine.

To be honest, it has always been outside of my area of expertise, not really having much of a presence in the UK when it was contemporary (and I was a kid, so no importing).

I've had a look at a bunch of articles about it tonight, including a very good one that breaks down the myriad of different hardware options, but these have been missing the answer a crucial question.

Overlooking the esoteric retro appeal that the console has - is there much reason to buy one in 2015?

I mean in the sense that how many of the games have found there way to other platforms, and how many that didn't are very dependent on the ability to read Japanese? For instance, I know the version of Street Fighter II was considered a technical marvel in the era, but I doubt you'd play that today when stacked against so many other versions.

thread on games here

Friendly Import video game discussion forum, informative reviews, NTSC (Japan / US) and PAL - BordersDown (previously known as NTSC-uk)

Comment

And if you do get into it, I've found the PC Engine Software Bible to be a useful resource: http://www.pcengine.co.uk/

To answer your original question, I think it's one of the top three consoles for shoot 'em ups and has a terrific range of old-style arcade games too. If either of those appeal, it's well worth getting.

Comment

RGB Modded Duo-R. I think it has a great library. SonSon II is a 10/10 for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          For instance, I know the version of Street Fighter II was considered a technical marvel in the era, but I doubt you'd play that today when stacked against so many other versions.
          I don't think many people would, in this day and age, buy a PC Engine for SF2, but it's a good conversion. The machine has a quite a lot of good to great games in all sorts of genres. Many of them are shooters and platformers, though. It strangely lacks scrolling beat 'em ups for some reason, with Crest of Wolf/Riot Zone on CD being the only one I can think of.

I'd say a PC Engine, even without a CD drive, is a must-have alongside the Mega Drive and Super Nintendo.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
            It strangely lacks scrolling beat 'em ups for some reason, with Crest of Wolf/Riot Zone on CD being the only one I can think of.
            Yep amazingly under populated. There are a few others, River City Ransom & Double Dragon II.

Not a single hu card tho?!
            Last edited by Baseley09; 11-09-2015, 15:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post

Not a single hu card tho?!
              Not that I can think of. Very sad.

Comment

For cards....

The Kung Fu? More old school Vigilante-style sure, but...
                And Vigilante itself?

Edit...And how could I forget Splatterhouse!

Although I guess these one hit kill titles (in the main) are stretching the current genre definition a little these days...
                Last edited by wheelaa; 11-09-2015, 16:31.

Comment

Off topicish toyed with the idea of getting rid of my rgb monitor to save room, quickly told myself to stop being a nobber as the Lcd image made me cry....RGB at only 23" and still gross.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa View Post
                    For cards....

The Kung Fu? More old school Vigilante-style sure, but...
                    And Vigilante itself?
                    Yeah, I forgot about Vigilante. I was thinking more along the lines of Final Fight and Streets of Rage type of scrolling fighters.

Originally posted by wheelaa View Post
                    Edit...And how could I forget Splatterhouse!
                    Another classic. Much like Vigilante with a horror theme.

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                    Off topicish toyed with the idea of getting rid of my rgb monitor to save room, quickly told myself to stop being a nobber as the Lcd image made me cry....RGB at only 23" and still gross.
                    Yeah, low resolution(less than 480P) games look terrible on LCD screens. A Framemeister does a good job at making things more acceptable, but ?200 is a lot to pay.

Comment

Yeah man been thinking about a framemeister for ages but the near 200 is mad considering my cm8833 mkii was ?10!

Comment

If you didn't own one back in the day, probably not. You really don't need a CD unit either, the best stuff is on HuCard.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                          If you didn't own one back in the day, probably not. You really don't need a CD unit either, the best stuff is on HuCard.
                          Ummm, but you weren't even born when the system came out and I'm pretty sure you've enjoyed time on one.

Comment

Haha, I've always done it via an EverDrive though! And yes you're right... But I can't help being born when I was!

Comment

Oh I know pal, it just made me laugh.

Comment

Working...
                              X