The first time you played Super Mario World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first time you played Super Mario World

I'm telling ya Kermit, my jaw was on the floor. I'd had a casual acquaintance with only the third installment on the NES and a more in depth fling with the GB iterations and when that import SNES and games arrived after 500 odd quid (in old money, when money was money) had been flung at some importer whose name escapes me now but advertised regularly in the back of CVG I was in now way shape or form prepared for the THRILHO moment that would unfold from the moment I inserted that wonderfully designed cart inside that slick looking console as I sat there cradling a joypad that I would beat mercilessly for quite some time to come like it was Tina and I was Ike trying to get a high note out of her.

The game was, and is, absolutely stunning. It was such a joy to play as it oozed charm from every pixel and the little things like "why are these dots red and those ones yellow?" or "whats the deal with these square outlines?" and "I wonder what happens if I keep flying up here?" and all the rest of the secrets that were joyfully teased out of this title before you hit the Star Road which then, like a true gateway drug, had you sitting there like Pookie in New Jack smoking on the digital rocks that were the Special Zone.

Wowsers. Or should I say Bowsers! What an amazing experience. I don't think that any other game since or before has came anywhere near that amount of replayability or sheer flat out joy of discovery as it had so much to give on each level and every single thing was perfectly placed due to the fantastic game design and thats before we even get into the uber catchy music.

All in all this was one of those rare ten out of tens and I'm so glad I got to experience it in the moment as it unrolled as it most certainly was an event. Did anyone on here not play this for the first time whilst it was current? If so I hope it was the first thing you did when you got day release

Super Mario World was the third Mario game I played – after Super Mario Bros in a pizza takeaway (on some sort of Play Choice), and Super Mario Land on my Game Boy. But SMW was far, far, better than either Mario game I'd played previously. Or any other single-player that game I'd played previously, really. Was a genuine revelation after playing so many mediocre europlatformers on the Amiga. Made me appreciate the talents behind Japanese games design, and as long as I care about games, SMW will always be one of the most important games that I've ever played.

Comment

I bought a Super Nntendo at launch because F-Zero caught my eye running in a shop window. SMW was the pack-in game I had practically no interest in. Until I gave it a go

It's one of the biggest and best surprises I've ever had with a game ... I couldn't leave it alone until it was 100% complete.

Comment

I didn't play it at launch, I was solely Mega Driving it at the time. First time I'd have played it would either have been via my cousins SNES or via this curiousity:

I enjoyed it but wasn't knocked for six. At a later time I got a SNES (after SF2T came out) and played it more then which is when I came to properly appreciate it. And yes, yes it is a much better game than Yoshi's Island.

Comment

I’d agree with SF, it wasn’t an immediate ‘wow’ game, it was only once I got well into it that I began to love it. It just looked like a better update from the NES versions initially, certainly didn’t have the visual impact of say, Sonic, but was the vastly superior game.

Comment

I thought the question was "Can you remember the first time you played a Mario game", which is a harder question.

First time I played Super Mario World was at RAF Cosford.
            I was in the air cadets and I used to love flying. We'd go up in Chipmunk aircraft and practice flying and even doing aerobatics.
            I remember doing my first loop-the-loop. Dive to increase speed to 120 knots, then keep pulling back on the control stick until you levelled out again.

Anyway, between flights, you'd be sat around waiting and one kid brought in his SNES.
            We played Mario World and Pilotwings.

That's the first time I played Super Mario World.

Comment

I remember seeing all the previews and reviews of SMW in magazines before I actually got my hands on it for Xmas '91. I knew a lot about the game before buying it - and I trusted the glowing reviews - so when it came to buying an import SNES, it wasn't a game I was overly excited about. Games that blew me away at that point were ActRaiser and Castlevania IV. ActRaiser, especially, convinced me that the SNES was a powerful piece of kit with its awesome graphics and sound.

That Xmas, I finally got to grips with SMW, and it turned out to be the best platformer I'd ever played. The graphics, while a bit basic in some ways, were impressively vibrant. The Ghost House levels really captured my imagination. Everything about SMW was so expertly designed that I loved every moment of exploring the game until I eventually completed it. Easily my favourite 2D Mario game - I'd still rate it 10/10. It will never age.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-05-2018, 07:50.

Comment

Didn't even get the game, until long after I got my Snes (F-Zero sold me on the SNES) I picked up a cheap 2nd hand copy on the day Super Play issue 3 came out; Which came with a huge Super Mario World guide. Then for the next week, I just played nothing but that game in an effort to fully complete it 100% using the guide.

I missed football training, I missed various meal times Ect I just didn't care, all I wanted to do was to play the game. Still, the best Platform game ever made and is nothing other than sheer Perfection, Super Castllevania IV comes so close though .
                Last edited by Team Andromeda; 12-05-2018, 14:19.

Comment

This is probably my favourite game, saw it for the first time running in Console Concepts in spring '91 when I went to get my PAL-converted (wouldn't put up with that nowadays, eh folks?!) JP Mega Drive. SFC was well out of reach at the time, however was more than happy with the MD! For some reason didn't ask for a go in the shop. Didn't play it until a few years later when Comet was selling the SNES Mario World pack for £70, & managed to twist me ma's arm. Fast forward 20 years & got a mint JP copy of the game, don't think it had been used although wasn't sold as such. Have thought about framing the unfolded manual...

Comment

So many people keep singing the praises of Castlevania, will really have to play that as I’ve never tried any of its incarnations along with Metroid which is another fave it seems.

Back to the SMW, how genius was the whole fly under the exit to get the real exit the first time round? There was so much magic about this game that was demonstrated in little touches like that.

I wonder if N will ever do a New series based on this artsyle? Picked up the nsmb u game due to it, apparently, being able to hold its own against SMW (a lofty challenge indeed) even though its got that tired old art and sound design.

Something about the physics, layout and challenge of 2d platforming that N just excel at as this title amply demonstrated.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                      So many people keep singing the praises of Castlevania,
                      Castlevania IV is a brilliant creation in all areas, so I highly recommend it. It's quite a tough game, but it's fun to learn the levels.

I wonder if N will ever do a New series based on this artsyle? Picked up the nsmb u game due to it, apparently, being able to hold its own against SMW (a lofty challenge indeed) even though its got that tired old art and sound design.

Something about the physics, layout and challenge of 2d platforming that N just excel at as this title amply demonstrated.
                      As much as I really like New Super Mario Bros U, there is something about the graphics and overall design that annoys me a bit. The graphics look a bit too shiny - and the feel of the game isn't as tight as SMW. I prefer what SMW has to offer. I'm am being picky though, so I do think all the New Super Mario Bros. games are worth playing.

I'd love a new Super Mario World that looks similar to the SNES game - and has tons of interesting content.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-05-2018, 14:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                        As much as I really like New Super Mario Bros U, there is something about the graphics and overall design that annoys me a bit. The graphics look a bit too shiny - and the feel of the game isn't as tight as SMW. I prefer what SMW has to offer. I'm am being picky though, so I do think all the New Super Mario Bros. games are worth playing.

I'd love a new Super Mario World that looks similar to the SNES game - and has tons of interesting content.
                        I felt pretty much the same. I played a bit of the first one on DS and thought it was an okay platformer but I never liked the mechanics of classic Mario anyway as I started the series with SMW but our very own [MENTION=1482]dataDave[/MENTION] was singing its praises and making audacious comments such as:

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                        NSMBU is up there with SMW, in my opinion (and that of most of RLLMUK). I've not played much of NSMBWii, but what I have played has been excellent so far - especially for early-game Mario where it's usually by-the-numbers.

To me the recycled assets and crappy music just smacked of a cheapo cash grab and I was stunned that it sold more than SMG which was pure platforming perfection but picked up a copy after watching this video which did impress me:

However an extension of this reboot with the whole SMW art style and, most importantly, all of the variety the SNES original has in terms of stage design and all the clever little touches would be amazing and a for sure day one purchase for me.

Comment

I had loved SMB3, so when I first played SMW back in the day I thought...

Let me just grab the frog suit and... Oh, there isn't a frog suit for easier underwater swimming? Well I'll just use my hammer bros suit for better attack and protection from fire flowers and... Oh, there's no hammer bros suit either? What about the Tanuki suit? Power-wings? Can I use a cloud to skip tough levels? Surely there's a whistle to change worlds? And the anchor, music box and magic boot? OK, so basically there's no cool super items, and it's just a mushroom, a flower, and a feather?

I clocked SMW, got all 96 worlds, but thought it was several steps back from SMB3. Lacking in imagination or sheer zaniness. Watered down, limited, lacking, good but playing it safe. Like whole wheat toast without butter. Healthy, tasty in its own way, but not exactly a bacon butty with brown sauce, amirite?

Comment

Interesting as I played 3 after SMW and thought that whilst it was good it wasn't a patch on the SNES version as a lot of it felt quite samey in comparison to SMWs variety and a lot of it relied on you being steeped in NES Mario lore otherwise you'd never know anything about the "clues" like holding down on top of white blocks to fall behind the scenery and stuff like that.

Might have to play 3 again some time as I don't think I ever completed it and most certainly didn't ferret out the secrets like a starving racoon.

Comment

I felt pretty much the same. I played a bit of the first one on DS and thought it was an okay platformer but I never liked the mechanics of classic Mario anyway as I started the series with SMW but our very own @dataDave was singing its praises and making audacious comments such as:
                              I like all the Super Mario games - but Mario World has the best feel alongside the original game. I like how tight the controls are - so you can run through the levels and really feel you can rely on the controls.

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post

I clocked SMW, got all 96 worlds, but thought it was several steps back from SMB3. Lacking in imagination or sheer zaniness. Watered down, limited, lacking, good but playing it safe. Like whole wheat toast without butter. Healthy, tasty in its own way, but not exactly a bacon butty with brown sauce, amirite?
                              There are plenty of people that feel the same about SMW lacking content compared to SMB3, but as much as that is true, Mario World is still a brilliant creation that offers top quality platforming action.

I wish Nintendo had made a proper Super Mario World 2, because as much as I enjoy Yoshi's Island, I would have liked more pure Super Mario action. SMW is around 4mb, so imagine how much content Nintendo could have put in a 16mb cart. It's strange that Nintendo didn't make a pure sequel to Super Mario World between 1990-1995.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 13-05-2018, 09:18.

Comment

Working...
                              X