Game Collection Cataloguing App and Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game Collection Cataloguing App and Site

Has anyone used an app and site to catalogue their game collection?

I preferably want an app on my phone to scan barcodes for ease and for it to sync with a site so I can manage/access it on a desktop. There are some on the ios store that do it but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for how they've done their collection.

Following this, very interested.

Comment

collectorz.com is what I'm after but it's £17 a year and while I'm happy to pay for a product, I don't want to pay £17 a year for the rest of my life. It has a stand alone desktop app which a barcode reader connects to but it means I can't browse my collection from my phone, only add to it.

Quick test of collecrotrz ios app free trial - I tried the barcode scanner with four of my Japanese PS1 games. It recognised Aconcagua, Kamitachi no Yoru and Twilight Syndrome but didn't recognise Simple 1500 92 The RPG. That's a pretty decent hit rate for what I need.
      Last edited by chopemon; 30-05-2018, 13:19.

Comment

i use VG Collection Tracker app on my phone, no PC version as i'm aware.

Comment

I got stuck into using collectorz yesterday. I paid £14 for the mobile app which gives you access to a web based viewer on PC. I can view my list but not edit it on PC which is fine.

I barcode scanned 500+ games yesterday and only had a few that needed to be searched for manually or added new. Simple series games are very hit and miss and Japanese greatest hits versions of games often fail. Very easy to use and I blasted through most of my collection in a few hours. One shelf of PS2, all my non-Japanese 360 games and most of my OG Xbox left to do.

Games that were added manually were missing their box art and some games had the wrong region's box art assigned. I started a 7 day trial of their web editor to fix them. The box arts can be searched for within the web editor and normally find something but if they don't you can upload your own. i won't continue the subscription service after because it's not worth it for me.

One last thing, your game collection is stored on your phone and synced to their servers and purchasing the app on one device authorises your account so if you have multiple mobile devices or get a new one, you can just log back in and get all your data. I'm thinking of a new phone soon and making the switch to Android and I can still use the android app even though I bought it on iOS.

Comment

I looked into this a few years ago and found nothing 100% suitable. RetroCollect was PAL only. Gamefaqs has a pretty good system, but it couldn't handle multiple versions of the same title (e.g. US & JP copies of the same game) and was missing some Japanese titles I had. I ended up just using a Spreadsheet on Google Docs. It's free, it's on every platform I want and has all the info I need on it (I can live without boxart). Will be adding my hardware at some point too. I found loads of controllers and accessories I forgot I had the other day.

Comment

Yeah just Google Docs for me. You can design it all to your own spec and make it as simple or complicated as you want.

Comment

I use Backloggery (backloggery.com). It's technically a website to log games you own and haven't played/completed, but works as a cataloguing system too. It has none of the mobile features you're after unfortunately, but I like it, and a v2.0 is currently in the works.

Comment

I've started to test some of these sites but more from a how to better manage my backlog than a collection aspect. I only have a small collection of physical which is mostly Nintendo 3DS, DS, Wii and Wii U. And a Google Spreadsheet has served me well for tracking those.

However I have found HLTB (How Long To Beat) and Grouvee which are small websites. I like that Grouvee allows you to be able to register the same game on multiple platforms, make notes or upload images and add games to multi categories. Although none of these seem perfect for what I want atm from a backlog management aspect. Both seem to allow Steam importing, but Grouvee allows you to export everything to a .csv file which could be very useful.

I'm not sure either is better than a spreadsheet or collectorz but thought I'd add to the mix.

Comment

I tried and purchased game collectorz a while ago, stopped using it as I found the database very poor for Japanese’s games, was a lot of work to get it looking half decent with my collection being almost entirely Japanese..

I now use Gamepedia on my MacBook in combination with Pocketpedia on my iPhone, it’s just very simple and easy to scan new additions, will search multiple sites and you can select the best image, not 100% every time but closest I’ve found..

Comment

To be honest i haven't found a single database that's useful for Japanese games, i use collectorz but i had to put the work in to make my DS game collection fit, bought a usb flatbed scanner & a barcode wand and just did my own thing adding them all manually as there isn't decent quality boxart for a lot of the titles in my collection. Yeah it's not quick or easy but once added i can now bring up any game with a beep of the barcode scanner. Trying to use the online capability to let the database fill in itself was a fruitless task as it barely found any of the games in my collection besides the popular DS titles. Slowly working through all my collections adding them in as it's useful to have a proper tally of what i do & don't have.

Comment

Working...
                      X