Clear All

Retro Arena: Cute 'em ups

Fantasy Zone - 1985

Parodius - 1990

Air Zonk - 1992

Pop'n Twinbee - 1993

Keio Flying Squadron - 1993

Twinkle Star Sprites - 1996

Here we have six classic cute 'em ups. Which one is your favourite?

Parodius first, the rest nowhere for me, although I haven't played Air Zonk.

Love the Parodius series, apart from the sluggish first one. My favorite is Gokujou Parodius, with Sexy Parodius second. The PSP compilation is essential.

Comment

Ooh a toughy, pc denjin easily rivals parodius. I'd say parodius for me with denjin a very close second.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
        Parodius first, the rest nowhere for me, although I haven't played Air Zonk.
        It's a close call between Parodius and Air Zonk for me. I will choose Parodius because I have great memories of buying the Super Famicom version and loving it.

Originally posted by Marius View Post
        Love the Parodius series, apart from the sluggish first one. My favorite is Gokujou Parodius, with Sexy Parodius second. The PSP compilation is essential.
        Yeah, a must-have for PSP owners who love shoot 'em ups. I wish it had also been released for the PS2. It would be great if Konami released a Parodius compilation for the PS4.

Originally posted by importaku View Post
        Ooh a toughy, pc denjin easily rivals parodius. I'd say parodius for me with denjin a very close second.
        Yeah, Air Zonk/PC Denjin easily rivals Parodius. Probably my favourite PCE game.

Comment

I've only really played Parodius (I have the SNES JP cart somewhere!), but I like it.
          I'll fire up the others tonight if I have them in my Coinops collection.

Comment

I haven't played all of them, but I'd say my favourite is honestly Twinkle Star Sprites. Such an original idea and such a fun game, especially in 2 player. Pentel is a beast.

Comment

Twinkle Star Sprites for me, though it doesn't really belong here.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Anyone played Paro Wars, the Parodius-based turn strategy game?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                  Twinkle Star Sprites for me, though it doesn't really belong here.
                  It's a hybrid sort of game, but I'd say it qualifies as a 'cute 'em up'.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                    It's a hybrid sort of game, but I'd say it qualifies as a 'cute 'em up'.
                    I suppose so, but it plays vastly different to the five other titles. I'd have chosen a Cotton title over TSS personally. For continuity.
                    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                      I suppose so, but it plays vastly different to the five other titles. I'd have chosen a Cotton title over TSS personally. For continuity.
                      I'm not a big fan of the Cotton series, so I wouldn't know which one to choose. I was going to include Star Parodier, but decided against it, as it's quite an obscure game that doesn't get mentioned much. Twinkle Star Sprites at least gets mentioned quite often, so lots of people are fond of it.

But if someone wants to say a Cotton game, or maybe Star Parodier is more their cup of tea, that's fine. I just make these threads for a bit of fun and to create interesting debate.

Comment

Cute ‘em ups are by far my favourite sub-genre

Out of all those Pop n’ Twinbee is obviously the best choice ... and as fantastically cute as Twinkle Star Sprites is, I’d have probably gone for Harmful Park instead. Star Parodier and Magical Chase are pretty awesome too.

Comment

Not listed, but I think my favorite is Star Parodier. The only cute-‘em-ups I currently own are Parodius Da! (GB) and Magical Chase (GBC).

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                            Cute ‘em ups are by far my favourite sub-genre
                            Mine too. There's something about cute shoot 'em ups that puts a smile on my face.

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                            I’d have probably gone for Harmful Park instead. Star Parodier and Magical Chase are pretty awesome too.
                            I could easily create another cute 'em up thread.

I've featured Harmful Park before, so decided against it. Star Parodier is great, so I was going to include it. I forget about the excellent Magical Chase. Thanks for reminding me.

Comment

I sunk so many hours into Fantasy Zone when I was a kid, it was one of the games that really made the SMS stand out above the NES (for me at least).
                              I'm sorry to say I've never played any of the others on that list.

Comment

Working...
                              X