Panasonic Q DVD Region Unlock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic Q DVD Region Unlock

I while back on the old forum someone sent me a PM saying they had a disk that would unlock the dvd movie region from the Panasonic Q. I gave him my address but never received anything. Since the release of Freeloader my Q has been the console of choice but I still have to switch to Xbox If I want to view a movie. This isn't a major pain but I only have 1 step down so its a bit of a fiddle... therefore.....

q1) Does this DVD Reg unlock cd actaully exist? Does anyone have one to trade?

q2) What is the DVD playback quality of Q compared to Xbox. I've tried one Jap DVD (Spirited Away) which looked good but didn't really test the player. As a console DVD player I am very impressed with Xbox (5.1, pseudo PS etc) but man that Q is so damn sexy and I'd much rather keep it sat under my TV 24/7.

Thanks as always for any help.

FB

Fat Bobby Bob !

Right then the board inside the Q is from a Panasonic RV31 NTSC version DVD player. Its superior in terms of playback and features to the Xbox and PS2 but lacks RGB output. So make sure you have s-video out to your TV. You can look up reviews for the player online if you like, its supposed to be one of the best non-progressive scan players on the market on release.

The only person I know who can upgrade the Q for you in the whole world is Steve from www.dvdchips.co.uk. Steve actually helped to develop the Mod for Lik-sang and really knows his stuff.

His site lists the prices for the NTSC/PAL DVD region mod and JAP/US games mod too. I used Steve to do the PAL mod for my machine and he did a sterling job. If you decde to use him please tell him I have recommended you(Kamaran Sheikh).

Some retailers allow you to rent or buy the NTSC all region DVD mod but that can be very expensive ( We are talking multiples of $100's). Let me know if thats the route you want to go.

And dont forget to mention my name to Steve if your using him

Hope that helps matey

Kamaran

Comment

If you can use a disc to upgrade, how come someone hasnt rented it and copied it, releasing it onto the net?

Seems very strange!

Comment

Thanks for the info Karaman

To be honest ?100 is a little too much to justify the upgrade. Especially since my Xbox is currently multi-reg.

I guess from your answer this CD that unlocks the region does exist? I don't want to sound cheap but this would seem like the ideal solution. Has anyone seen or used this CD. Hopefully the guy that originally offered it me will still be on the NTSC-uk forum.

Fingers Crossed

Cheers

FB

Comment

The CD unlocks the DVD player making it regionless with a bios/firmware type upgrade.

_but_ you still need to add video ram with a hardware mod to to play pal video off a DVD, because pal video runs at a higher resolution.

take a look at the site Kamaran linked, it explains this here:

Comment

Originally posted by Fat_Bob
            Thanks for the info Karaman

To be honest ?100 is a little too much to justify the upgrade. Especially since my Xbox is currently multi-reg.

I guess from your answer this CD that unlocks the region does exist? I don't want to sound cheap but this would seem like the ideal solution. Has anyone seen or used this CD. Hopefully the guy that originally offered it me will still be on the NTSC-uk forum.

Fingers Crossed

Cheers

FB
            The Guy you after is Bwi / Bri

As papercut has already said the disc only unlocks the player to make it a multi-region NTSC player though

Comment

Fat_Bob that was me with the disk, send me your address and i will send it off straight away.

Sorry about that

bri

Comment

i hope u dont mind me asking here but i have a q

when i play pal region 2 dvd s through the they work in colour. but as the dvd player of a Q doesn't output rgb is this just a composite picture i aim getting?

Comment

yes - dvd output is either composite video or s-video only, in PAL or NTSC depending on the disk.

Comment

Cheers for the site link Papercut, I didn't realise MCUK were doing DIY kits now. Time to get a Q methinks . Gotta try and mod one of these.

bwi - I'll need a copy of this disc - can you sort me with one? Of course I will pay for postage and a little extra for your help. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tak
                      Cheers for the site link Papercut, I didn't realise MCUK were doing DIY kits now. Time to get a Q methinks . Gotta try and mod one of these.

bwi - I'll need a copy of this disc - can you sort me with one? Of course I will pay for postage and a little extra for your help. Cheers.
                      Mate you are a very brave man to do that Mod. Steve from DVDchips.co.uk says it is the most difficult mod you can do and hes a pro.

Comment

I love messin' with mods - the Q is one of the few consoles I haven't modded yet. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Tak

I cant make copies of it as its a dvd and i aint got a dvd burner yet

Bri

Comment

Originally posted by bwi
                            I cant make copies of it as its a dvd and i aint got a dvd burner yet

Bri
                            PM'ed ya

Comment

Originally posted by Fat_Bob
                              q2) What is the DVD playback quality of Q compared to Xbox. I've tried one Jap DVD (Spirited Away) which looked good but didn't really test the player. As a console DVD player I am very impressed with Xbox (5.1, pseudo PS etc) but man that Q is so damn sexy and I'd much rather keep it sat under my TV 24/7.
                              I think the Q's picture quality is better. Also in DVD mode the Q is almost completely silent, whereas the Xbox is more like a vacuum cleaner in this respect. Very annoying when watching movies.

Comment

Working...
                              X