Amped 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amped 2

I got Amped 2 through the mail yesterday (although where Top Spin and RS3 have got to I have no idea).

Get the obvious out of the way first. If you didn't like the first Amped, you won't like this. Absolutely zero concessions seem to have been to bring the game to wider audience, which is a good thing imo as SSX3 and 1080 can cater for everyone else. I had heard that they had made landing the board a little easier, but I can't tell any difference.

The front end has been cleaned up (it needed it). The game is always logged ino Live, but only Live races get logged on the worldwide stats which is a shame. The new courses are similar to the old ones, but with perhaps even more scope for racking up huge combos.

The main differences are the introduction of butters to link more tricks together. These can be quite hard to pull off. Plus there is now the style meter. Not quite as complex as I had hoped, it basically gives you style for performing a move slowly. So if you slowly rotate a 360 spin rather than jamming the stick all the way to the left, you get loads of style points which are added to your score.

There are also new tasks to perform on each course, including a photo shoot where you must trick through rings to get a great photo. As well as the Snowmen which make a return, every mountain has a number of gaps which can be jumped. These are highlighted by blue trails and might consist of jumping off the roof of a house onto a cable car rail for example. Then each course has five tasks to complete which might range from completing a certain trick to reaching a high point.

The game also includes a race mode (yay!) but only on Live. I haven't really tested the game out of Live yet as quite simply it owns me. I completed the first two mountains okayish, but the first event mountain is a complete beyatch. You have to race aganist other riders (who annoyingly crash into you) and try and get the best scores over three runs. The score requirements are higher than the original Amped, I think because of the butters which I haven't quite got to grips with yet.

It's as addictive as the first game though and I'm determined to progress. This game will probably get lost in the myriad of high profile releases like the first game (especially as there are two other SB titles released) which is a shame as the game has a lot going for it. Not for the faint hearted though.

My friend mentioned this to me today actually, he said the controls had slightly changed and that it was harder to get to grips with. Both of us loved the 1st Amped, but he seemed slightly dissapointed with it, which surprised me greatly. Maybe hes spoilt at the moment though, he got a load in the past couple of days including that Tony Hawk one.

Comment

The controls have changed a little in that before it was possible to execute grabs from both the right stick and the buttons. Now the buttons are used for other things, so only the stick is used for grabs.

I used the stick anyway when playing the first game, so it didn't feel that different.

One thing that did take a bit of getting used to was using the left stick to balance on rails. In the first game you used the triggers, whereas now these are used for turning the board on the rail.

I think these changes plus the seemingly more difficult targets did come as a bit of a shock. It's still the same game though.

Comment

Oh yes! I loved the original game so much (and hated it at times) and can't wait for friday

Just one question for all of you? How far did you get on the original? And what rank did you get? Cos I did everything (bastard had) and still only ended up world rank 11.

Comment

Hmm, wasn't a big fan of the first one, but my girlfriend has just got back from her travels today with copy in hand so I'll have to give it a shot regardless. I was hoping the landings had been toned down a little, so its a little disapointing to hear they haven't. Ahh well, could always flog it in the trading forum

Comment

I wasn't sure about it, but I will keep an eye open for 2nd hand one on ebay in spring as I haven't finished the first one yet.

Comment

I loved the wide open nature of the first one. It truely was a completely new experience for me. I don't really get on well with tricks in snowboard games (even though I absolutely love Dave Mirra2), so most of it was lost on me. Enjoyed searching for snowmen the most
              The prospect of Live enabled snowboarding is damn good. More impressions asap once you have tried out Live, Brats please.

Comment

Just finished a brief session and it feels just more of the same. Having a bit of a hard time of it at the moment, but then I'm still in a SSX3 frame of mind, once I get over that it should start to become a bit more inuitive. Impressions so far? Average.

Comment

I'm really looking to this one. Loved the first, hated SSX and don't like SSX 3 too much. Don't really know why, it just feels a bit too arcadey for my liking. If Amped 2 is as a good as the first one I'll be a happy bunny.

Comment

As i've only ever played one snowboarding game (1080 on the N64) can someone explain the differences between Amped, SSX and 1080. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Did they fix the framerate? It used really collapse at points in the original Amped.

Still, the game was fun. I'd be interested in the sequel.

Comment

1080 is the daddy for racing and on the edge handling model.
                        SSX is the daddy for silly over the top tricks, ludicrous tracks, amazing presentation and whacky characters.
                        Amped is the daddy for more realistic tricks and mountain courses (no racing in amped).

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
                          1080 is the daddy for racing and on the edge handling model.
                          SSX is the daddy for silly over the top tricks, ludicrous tracks, amazing presentation and whacky characters.
                          Amped is the daddy for more realistic tricks and mountain courses (no racing in amped).
                          Thanks for that mate. looks like i'm going with 1080 Avalanche.

Comment

Right, I've cracked this now and I'm really starting to plough through the game. My mistake with the event was trying too hard. I was going for first place, but you only need third or better to move on. By trying huge double off-axis flips all the time I was crashing more often than not. By simplyfying it, I got through easily.

I'm getting the hang of butters too, especially now I've been able to boost up the balance of my character.

BTW the music on this game is excellent. I mainly play the eletronic selection and theer are some excellent tunes that I must get hold of on CD. Great stuff .

Comment

Can you give any XBL impressions?

I picked up the original at launch and although I wasnt completely taken with it I did invest hours of play into it. Just want to see if this is worth buying as well.

I read somewhere theres a different mode where the board isnt actually stuck to your feet so you are essentially surfing down and able to do different tricks, is that correct?

Anyway, some more impressions of anything would be great.

Comment

Working...
                              X