Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RETRO: Played "The Divide: Enemies Within" Metroid

PSX game, USA made, excellent design, like super metroid in 3d for the PSX

I personally love it, anyone else played it?
    Last edited by Sketcz; 06-11-2004, 13:45.

what happened to the retro section!?
    why'd it dissapear? not enough posters?

Comment

Never heard of the game - got any pics? i really like the metroid games

But removing the retro section - how could they?

darn forum reshuffling

Comment

Never heard of it but sounds fantastic if it's like you say. Is it 3D in the same way as Klona on the Playstation is?

Comment

When Ive told others on another form, I was flamed by people who had bought it for like $3 after hearing my opinions and review. They all said it was not worth $3, and that the frame rate was too choppy, and the game too boring. Not enough action from the start.

Then again Super Metroid started off slow and eery, so I guess it depends on what you want.

It is influenced by the metroid series, even the game developers admit it, since they were big fans. heres why its like SM:

game starts with an elevator sequence
          100 unit energy tanks
          slowly unfolding map
          Meridia music blatantly ripped off in starting level
          very good plot
          upgradeable weapons. (many of which are similar to SM)
          As you gain more items, you can go further in the game

Those who moaned at me, said its frame rate was too choppy, and hated the lack of auto lock on. Personally I never noticed such problems.

3D wise, its unlike Klonoa
          Instead its fully 3d, with a set camera that can be panned up or down.
          Think SNES zelda, except you could control what angle height the camera was at. meaning:
          left always = left
          up always = away from camera
          down = towards camera
          etc.

I thought the platforming sequences worked very well, the whole 3d platforming thing worked far better than the tomb raider series, due to the set camera, and placed platforms. Once you get the double jump, your virtually invincible.

Anyway, based on the ammount of angry replies Ive got from disallusioned people, Im gonna say this, I like, and feel it well worth an adition to any PSX players library, but dont moan at me if you pay $3 for it and dont like it.

hmmm, pics? they probably wont do it justice, and I cant think of where there would be any. Ebay might have some.

anyway, if you get it, let me know what you think. But play it with an open mind, and without any high hopes. Enjoy it for what it is.
          Last edited by Sketcz; 06-11-2004, 13:47.

Comment

Who was the developer/publisher in America? I'm sure it must of come under a different name over here, or more than likely not been released.

Comment

Found a shot: (only one i could find)

There seems to be PC version too

Viacom New Media either developed or published it, but all i can find on google or dead links

Comment

Never had a Japan or UK release, USA only Im afraid.
                Ive heard rumours about the company, from them going bust, to the offices burning down.

Who knows?

Still, kinda enigmatic, and definetly a sleeper hit.

Vrigin bought the rights to publish, and Im sure a company called radical entertainment was involved somewhere. I dunno, will have to get my copy out of storage to check.

EDIT:
                cheers for the pic, looks like the PC version to me.
                Not too bad, but doesnt do the game any favours.

If you want it, youll have to import, Ebay usually has a few going sealed.

EDIT2 FROM THE MAKERS OF THE GAME:

Yeah, Radical was the developer.

The main programmer was a fellow named Ian Verchere, who now works with EA.

(quote from the dude, submitted by a guy who bought this game off ebay)
                Here's some interesting background on the game you bought via Ebay...

Viacom New Media exited the publishing business on the day The Divide was set to ship. This left stacks of manufactured PSX disks ready to go to stores, languishing in a warehouse somewhere. Apparently, they where acquired by a liquidator, who subsequently sold them for pennies on the dollar to video stores such as Electronics Boutique and Software Etc. Over the past few years, I have bought copies of both the PSX and PC versions for as little as $1.99.

It's too bad, because I set out to make 'Super Metroid in 3D,' and believe that we did a good job given the tools and technology we had. Sure, it could be a little faster frame-rate wise, but this was early early 3D.
                (end quote)

So there you have it.

Comment

bump, oh, and can AMDIN please move this to RETRO forum please.

Comment

This forgotten Metroidvania for PC now has an update patch making it playable and better on modern Windows systems.

A beta version of 25th anniversary fan patch. Includes bare-bones version of the game to speed-up testing. WOW64 is required to run this on modern Windows. For windowed (or if the game doesn't work fullscreen with correct 4:3 aspect ratio or if you want...

By the way, did I mention, it's a METROIDVANIA

Comment

That is genuinely amazing that you dug up your thread from 20 years ago to post this in. Respect. Mad forum search ninja skills.

Comment

Never heard of this before. Will be giving it a go. Shame you can't buy most old games now for less than ridiculous money. Thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                          That is genuinely amazing that you dug up your thread from 20 years ago to post this in. Respect. Mad forum search ninja skills.
                          I was sure there was a topic on it. Was actually surprised the topic was mine. I know Sean on this forum loved the PS1 version.

Anyway, I helped a teeny tiny bit with the patch, and it's brand new (still in beta, final patch planned soon), so thought it worth the bump. Nearly 20 years ago it seems I made this topic?

I still genuinely love the game. A lot of complaints from people who went on to discover the PS1 version is the choppy frame rate, which can be 20 to some say 15 fps. This patch should lock the PC version at a smooth 60, with HD resolution and widescreen. So you can enjoy the design of the levels. Very moody.

Tell your friends.

(If you can't find a used copy on eBay, you might want to research the Internet Archive - are we allowed to link there? They have special government permission to host ancient computer software, so is it still technically yarring, or is it like laundered money in that they make it clean? Anyway, they're big, they're official, they're respected, and they're easy to find.)
                          Last edited by Sketcz; 26-11-2021, 10:19.

Comment

Couldn't get this to work on my computer. A shame but hopefully a newer patch comes out which solves it. Maybe there's some sort of setup process involved I'm not aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesy View Post
                              Couldn't get this to work on my computer. A shame but hopefully a newer patch comes out which solves it. Maybe there's some sort of setup process involved I'm not aware of.
                              Right, turned out the BAT file had an error in it. So the modder has updated it to work. It also does not need the original game - the archive is the entire thing.

I set it up and it runs really nice. There's two versions - one with shaky cam disabled (and camera zoom), and another with shaky cam left in, but zoom enabled. I prefer being able to use zoom.

The game detects an Xbox 360 controller, but not the d-pad, analogue triggers, or right stick, so I mapped those via Joy2Key.

It's still beta right now, but hopefully once finalised all the bugs should be worked out.

Comment

Working...
                              X