Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another ICS PS2 question - PC speed?

Advice needed... on uk.playstation.com, in the ICS set up guide it says:

It is also worth noting that as you are effectively connecting through your computer, a slow computer may have a negative effect on your network games' performance.

Anyone know how slow your PC must be for this to be an issue? Mine's ovrclocked to 300mhz and 128mb RAM.

I've got 6 days to decide whether to order the PS2 online kit.

Hope its OK to start a new thread for this,as it is a seperate question.

My Xbox Live certainly ran slower from time to tiem when i had to use my old 450mhz PC while my decent PC was being fixed.

Comment

Ah, that sucks a bit. Anyone got a cheap router to sell, or any advice.

Comment

It might be worth giving ICS a go. As long as your PC doesn't struggle too much to run Windows itself it should be fine.

You'll notice problems in terms of high latency - a few hundred milliseconds rather than 50 to 150 ms with ADSL, something like that. If your PC CPU maxes out at 100% that would be another sign Make sure your network drivers are up to date if you do it.

Your best bet would be to get a proper router, but I'd give ICS a bash first.

Which version of Windows are you running? 2000 would probably strain with that spec.

For ADSL I'd recommend the Alcatel 510v4 router, other people like the D-Link 504. They come with a built in 4 port hub, and apart from a more flexible firewall in the Alcatel, they do pretty much the same job.

Comment

Thanks for advice. I'm running Windows XP below minum spec Although it seems to run pretty smoothly.

I'll give ICS ago, although I'm slightly reluctant to splash out on the Network Adaptor if I'm going to find I need to spend more on a router.

Ho hum - thanks all.

Comment

Woah - XP? I'd definately think about upgrading, some more memory at least.

You should try and get a hardware router for sure.

Comment

OK - looks lioke a need to get a router then. This one seems to be recommended:

however it doesn't include an adsl modem. My modem is an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem. Is the fact that it is a USB modem and not ethernet a problem? <<<<(THIS IS MY MAIN QUESTION IN THIS POST)

Should i be getting a router with a built-in modem?

Sorry for my cluelessness - any advice appreciated. I would have thought my green stingray shaped modem was pretty common - someone must have some experience.

Comment

you want an ADSL modem/router, usually just called an ADSL router.

see this very useful site for a guide to adsl hardware:

Compare 500+ broadband deals from UK service providers. Broadband news, reviews and speed test from the longest running and trusted independent broadband information website (formerly ADSLguide.org.uk)

Comment

I just bought a four port D-lLink DSL-504 ADSL router one . XP machine and Mac and XBox always online now!

Comment

Yeah i got the same one macosx. It works a treat. Not cheap tho, i paid ?99 for mine from amazon.

Comment

for anyone thats after one like myself i've just seen them on scan.co.uk or www.ebuyer.com for 86quid

Comment

Working...
                      X